Should Southampton FC sack Ralph Hasenhüttl? -POLL

manina-pub

54 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

But nearly 37% say keep him for next season

Some dodgy maths in previous threads.  It's 63% to sack him and 37% to keep him.  It's not yet reached the Branfoot level of hostility, but still around 2/3 of those polled would like to see him move on

• Like 1

Like with all the long term contracts we have dished out,the costs of ending them are punitive. So as you want him sacked, every penny is likely to be taken from our purchase budget. I suggest 15m would be needed to sack him. So that adds to the dilemma.

Therefore I am just about in the keep him, but if the team shows no desire in the next 2 games my thoughts will shift no doubt 

6 hours ago, manina-pub said:

POLL CLOSED

461 Votes - 60% sack v 40% keep

Ask the same question after our run of form after beating Spurs away and it would be completely different. I say if you are going to give him some spending money stay, if not he has done as much as he can, get some other sucker in. 

8 hours ago, manina-pub said:

POLL CLOSED

461 Votes - 60% sack v 40% keep

Stats stats and more stats. There were two options for sacking and only 1 option for not sacking, so of course the stats would be skewed.  The selections of answers needs to be balanced, there is zero value in this poll result. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint IQ said:

Give him first 10-15 games of next season but have a plan in place to bring a Manager in quickly if the first 10-15 games see us continue on this downward spiral.

I'm not with this as a strategy.  The board need to make the decision when this season ends.  Either keep Ralph for another season or replace him quickly and give the new manager time to arrive, have his say in the transfer window and prepare the team fully for next time.  I'm for keeping Ralph personally, but am obviously not privy to what's going inside the club and am curious about this latest poor run of form, so wouldn't be surprised if he went.

Edited by The Left Back
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint IQ said:

Give him first 10-15 games of next season but have a plan in place to bring a Manager in quickly if the first 10-15 games see us continue on this downward spiral.

For me the fixture list plays a part in that. Ralph said that,after a cliff dive last season, that the start of this season would be tough for the first 7 games, after which there were games that we'd be expecting to win. If we get those winnable games right off the bat next season, and our form is the same, then a decision os going to have to be made sooner.

While I'm typing, and wearing my tin foil hat... 🙂

I think it's been a combination of factors that's led us to this:-

The automaticisms that made us play so well are sapping to maintain, and it obviously helps when the players buy into it fully. The focus of the training commited build up that style of play. If your are independently minded you are not long for first team selection, and while departures may be prolonged, due to our resources, they might not be great - Betrand and Ings body language at the end.

Unfortunately, when the tactic doesn't work, we've a team of limited automatons who struggle to come up with an independent plan of their own on the pitch. A lack of leadership kicks in, as strong egos and leadership are not necessarily a good fit with Autocrat Ralph.

Ralph's focus on his play book has resulted in tactical limitations. The lack of fexibility from his approach consistently fails to deal with the game at hand. When everyone else can see it going pear shaped, he's either incredibly optimistic that his playing style will win through, or simply hasn't come up with and trained the team in other approaches.

Ralph's autocratic approach is a key driver when things go well, but a liability when it comes to adaptability, when they don't. It builds in mental fragility in a squad not trained to think for themselves.

The tactics getting found out so much that Tuchel gave a quick how-to, after our match with them, has been a big factor. Other teams had been looking to exploit the weaknesses of it prior to this. I remember Norwich doing it, just not having the personnel to make it pay off for them. I think Ralph has struggled to impose an alternative.

We got the Arsenal win, with very few efforts on their goal. But then tried to utilise something similar, in a game where we could easily have done better had we been more attacking. I got the feeling there was a bit of tactical grapsing around for something that would work, and they've not found anything.

I think Redmond got so much game time in part because he does exactly the job that's asked of him. He's a credit in that system, even as any creativity is stiffled. I'm not singling out Redmond for criticism here. It's a compliment.

Tino would be another one, whose early attacking sense, has been trained out. It's looks good when it pays off, but when it doesn't we're more vulnerable. As it won't come off more often that it will, it's considered to be better to minimise the risk, in favour of better opportunities.

We're apparently the team allowing Salisu to take long throws *knowing* full well that they are not very good. It's been worked out we should win more second balls, and failing that, be in a more robust shape for their attack. It's an analytics, risk based approach right across the team and its actions.

There's the risk that we *can't* adapt to anything significantly different for a change in fortunes by the end of the season. That lies with the coaching team, which has been mentioned contains a lot of very quiet people in front of their boss on match days. And an awful lot of goalkeepers.

Having a top striker in Ings is a tremendous help in the tactic paying off. A rookie kid, with a different career path in mind, and a guy who hasn't made the step up from the championship, means we've not taken the chances created. A risk averse rest of the team aren't capable of stepping up, with excpetion of JWP, primarily through set peices. Stu had to be instructed to take long shots, which soon became shoot on sight before that went.

Other factors include:-

Ralph announcing that he's considering retirement. If your working as a robot, and the guy imposing it, hints at going, there's a little slack that creeps in.

Contract negotiations behind the scenes - Redmond gets frozen out, Romeu's hint at moving on just before a form drop, Salisu's drop in form, possibly part of AA not getting picked etc.

And the tradtional mental uplift from reaching safety (even if not mathmatically so).

Right. tin foil hat off, as it's needed to cook the sunday dinner...

A win against Liverpool will be a good start in showing that the team aren't affected by any of the above in the slightest. 🙂

• Like 1

If he does go in the close season, one thing I will not miss are his constant reminders of us being a humble little club that has to make do and mend up against the bestest teams in the whole wide world and that we should be grateful for the crumbs that drop from their tables.

A bit more self belief wouldn't go astray from the new manager and who knows might rekindle self belief amongst our probably thoroughly demoralised players.

It reminds me a bit of our parents generation always reminding us of our place.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

13 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

I didn't vote, but would have gone for keep...just.

I don't think it's like Branfoot. About 90% wanted him sacked and about 90% of those wanted him murdered.

The 60% who want Ralph sacked aren't generally as militant.

Probably worth mentioning that things tend to be a bit more dramatic on the internet and won't be representative of the entire fan base. I reckon it's closer to 50/50 than 60/40. So miles away from Branfoot.