Quiz questions

Pamplemousse

Some quiz questions to keep everyone occupied. I don't think the answers are googleable. I'll reveal the answers later this week.

As it's 20 seasons at St Mary's, it's all based around our home stadium and some stats I've looked up. Only competitive games count, so ignore any friendlies, testimonials etc.

1. Which team has Southampton played more often at St Mary's than any other? (18 times)

2. Southampton have 100% records at St Mary's against 23 teams (yes really!). Two of those opponents are teams we've played 4 times (the most of these 23). Name them both.

3. Out of the 21-22 Premier League teams, which team do we have the best record against? (winning 10 and losing just once)

4. Which two teams have beaten Saints at St Mary's more than any other? (both with 11 wins against us)

5. Which team has Southampton played the most matches at St Mary's against without having ever beaten them? (5 matches)

6. Which team has Southampton played the most matches at St Mary's against without ever having lost to them? (8 matches)

7. Only twice have Southampton lost 4 consecutive games at St Mary's in a row. We were on such a run before we beat Arsenal 1-0 in April. When was the last time it happened?

8. Two opposition players have scored 6 times at St Mary's against Southampton, more than any other. Name them (hint - they are still playing today so could easily add to their total soon)

9.  Rickie Lambert by far has scored the most amount of goals at St Mary's. Which team did he score more goals against at SMS than any other?

10. Three Southampton players have the dubious record of scoring the most own goals at St Mary's - 2 each. Name them (hint - they are all defenders)

1) Man United?

2) Assuming cup games are taken into account, I'll say Luton. If it's just League games then Pompey must be one.

3) Brentford?

4) Man United and Chelsea?

5) Brighton?

6) Norwich/Crystal Palace?

7) Must have been in 2008/09 when we took until April to win a home game.

8 ) Son and Gerruid?

9) Crystal Palace?

10) Jos Hooevield and Jan Begnerak, Danny Higginbotham (though I'm amazed it's that low)

3 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

But we've definitely beaten Brighton (Championship season) and played them more than 5 times (8, I think)

I can't remember us beating them. Didn't we draw 0-0 with them in League One (Kelvin saving a penalty) and then in The Championship I thought they beat us 3-0 with Lambert getting sent off and then in the away fixture we beat them 3-0 with Lambert scoring 2 pens?

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I can't remember us beating them. Didn't we draw 0-0 with them in League One (Kelvin saving a penalty) and then in The Championship I thought they beat us 3-0 with Lambert getting sent off and then in the away fixture we beat them 3-0 with Lambert scoring 2 pens?

Other way around.

Got to be Bolton I'd have thought. We would have played them four times before getting relegated and we certainly lost the last two. Think they beat us in a Cup game some time in that lower league quagmire. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wasn't it against Brighton we got given that penalty when Fonte was fouled a couple of yards outside the box and we went on to win?

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Q1 must be a team we went down and up the leagues with. West Ham?

Is one of the teams in Q2 MK Dons?

Q3. Norwich? 

Danny Fox liked an own goal, but then so did the others Steve mentioned.

I assumed question 1 is Man Utd, played them every prem year and drew them in the FA Cup at least 3 times 

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Q1 must be a team we went down and up the leagues with. West Ham?

West Ham went down in 2003 then up again when we went down, so we just passed like ships in the night. Don’t remember a cup game so guessing we didn’t play them at all between 2003-11.

It’s got to be Palace, surely. They were a season behind us getting promoted but aside from that and league 1, we’ve been together since 2004. They’ve been here in the cups a few times too.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Wasn't it against Brighton we got given that penalty when Fonte was fouled a couple of yards outside the box and we went on to win?

Couple of yards outside the box?! 
He was just walking out of West Quay onto Above Bar!

😜🤪

• Haha 2

Higginbotham as one for the own goals? Remember one in the 4-3 against Norwich and against Middlesbrough in Redknapp’s first game. 

Norwich for question 1? Up and down the leagues, played them in JPT plus cup replay too. 

Edited by Appy

4 minutes ago, saintquin said:

Could Vardy be one answer to Q8. Seems to score a hatful nearly every time he plays against us!

Think he’s on 5? 

Hat-trick in 9-0 and scored two in a 2-2 draw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Nah, we lost 1-0 to them in the early 90s. Steve Marlet - who was their record signing, I think, but barely scored, which is all rather predictable :lol: - got the only goal.

Think it was 2002 and finished 1-1.

Early 90’s would have been the Dell Steve 😉

Here are the answers

Some quiz questions to keep everyone occupied. I don't think the answers are googleable. I'll reveal the answers later this week.

As it's 20 seasons at St Mary's, it's all based around our home stadium and some stats I've looked up. Only competitive games count, so ignore any friendlies, testimonials etc.

1. Crystal Palace (Man Utd next on 17, Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal on 16)

2. MK Dons and Yeovil. Luton and Tranmere also 100% records but we've played them 3 times.

3. Norwich. Only defeat came in 2008. In fact it's been 10 years since they've even left with a point. Next best is Leeds and then Everton.

4. Man Utd and Chelsea. Only ever beaten them once at home.

5. Bolton - 2 draws, 3 defeats

6. Fulham - let's hope we continue that run next season... After them it's Hull (4 wins, 3 draws), Sheff Wed (4 wins, 2 draws) and Coventry (3 wins, 3 draws)

7. It has happened before under Ralph - it was part of the sequence including a certain loss to Leicester in 2019 which we won't mention. We then won 4 of the next 6 so all was forgiven.

8. Kane and Son. In fact Kane also scored once for England at SMS so he holds the outright record if you include internationals. Vardy, Giroud, Van Persie and Lukaku all on 5.

9.  Brighton - he got 4, including a hat-trick in the Championship.

10. Andreas Jakobsson, Danny Higginbotham and Jos Hooiveld the unlucky defenders.

• Like 1