4) 8-0 over sunderland

5) 3-2 win over Tottenham last season

6) the first game back in the league and pushing city 

7) the first win against Villa

8 ) Charlie Austin’s winner at Old Trafford

9) Spanking Chelsea at Stamford bridge under Koeman

10) beating Swansea 

• Like 1

Chatting to my Brighton mate last night and their upcoming European campaign and the two we had (well one really). Made me get pissed off all over again with getting knocked out on head to head results by the away goal rule instead of going through on goal difference. Shit rules that year, and so typical of us to get fucked up by it.

Surprised no one has mentioned the League Cup Final against United, I know we lost but we played well and should have won. The Gabbiadini equaliser and the five minutes or so after will live with me forever.

• Like 6

On 15/05/2023 at 16:12, Dusic said:

1. Lambert equaliser at City in 2012...great moment.

Should be in everyone's list surely? if not no. 1!! That is what it was all for - saints back in the big time, the culmination of years of strife in the lower leagues. Big man comes on and boom, queue scenes. Most memorable moment of them all for me.

Edited by Saint86

33 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Should be in everyone's list, if not no. 1. That is what it was all for, the culmination of years of strife in the lower leagues. Big man comes on and boom, queue scenes. Most memorable moment of them all for me.

This is what it’s all about? One player who left us a couple of years later scoring in a game we lost anyway? That ain’t what it’s about for me pal

I can't go past the 3-2 win v Liverpool when Mane and Wanyama came on at half time and inspired the Koeman managed comeback.   There was also a 3-1 win over City under Poch's watch where Luke Shaw really announced himself, and the whole side looked ready to take on any Prem opponent.

• Like 1

For me)

1) The 3-2 at Spurs : firstly I managed to be there : secondly I absolutely detest spurs : and thirdly we were like 1970s Brazil that night. We absolutely destroyed them and without exaggeration we should have been 6 -1 up at halftime. Then they had their last minute equaliser scrubbed off. That night was magic for me.

2) league Cup final. 

In the 20 minutes after we equalised we had them on the rack and reallyreally let them off and the atmosphere In our end was something I'll never forget.

3)

For me has to be the long winner in the semi at Anfield to get us there. Bedlam

4)

Most of our games under Poch, my favourite manager. Watching us under him was a joy, we made teams suffer.

5) yeah top of the league, even for a short time :)

Edited by Hawkswood

When we were down in the championship and league 1 last time I almost gave up hope of competing at the highest level of the game - there was so much money involved.

My son was born towards the start of this period and I thought it very unlikely he’d ever see the type of football I was fortunate to watch in the 80s with the Keegan era, finishing second, and the brilliant young players coming through.

I was wrong - we did compete and at times we were incredibly good, even better than the teams of the 80s

I’m his first two home games we scored 8 goals (Norwich and Newcastle towards the end of 2013/14). At the start of the next season we hit another four past Newcastle, again without reply, and then - incredibly - doubled that against their rivals, without really breaking sweat. 

His first away game was at old Trafford - we won that too thanks to Tadic, and we deserved it. (I had to go for years before seeing us win away.) We won on our next away game too - at Swansea. It was only right at the end of our third away game - at arsenal and 1-0 for most of the match - that we actually saw a home side manage to score against us. 

Several trips to Wembley followed too, including a brilliant performance in the league cup final. 

We definitely competed. The MoPo and RoKo teams were top drawer. And even in the years following we would throw in an excellent game every now and then.

What a great 11 years. 

I find myself thinking back to the 4-0 win over Coventry in 2012 that saw Saints promoted to the top division with Coventry heading the other way. All that effort used in getting back into the EPL and now seemingly discarded without much of a fight.

How ironic that Coventry could now be replacing Saints in the EPL.