TdF 2023

badgerx16

Its been a fun start to it. The Pays y Basque has done the Grand Depart proud. Could be Cav's opportunity tomorrow into Bayonne but gut feeling is that Jakobsen and Philipsen may have more. Off to Stage 17 territory on Friday. A week just outside Bourg St Maurice, so its the Petit St Bernard, Les Arcs, Tignes and possibly the Iseran but not sure about 65 year old legs.

Excellent start to the race so far, much better having a couple of lumpy stages to start with rather than a dull time trial and a sprint day.

A chance for Cav tomorrow but there's so many good sprinters in the race it will be very tough for him.

Pog and Vinegaard continuing to take lumps out of each other today, What a pull by Adam Yates up that last climb btw. Did a couple of bits of Stage 17 last week. Down the Cormet de Roseland. 20km downhill, it's really brisk at the top and in the middle its the only time I've been pedalling at around 65kmph, god knows what speeds they'll hit. We also did the Cat 2 Cote de Longefoy. Its at the start of the climb to La Plagne (Its Stephen Roche! It's Stephen Roche!!) turning right instead of following to the left. Around 7km at 7.7%, its not nice. Saw the Jumbos not at the TdF descending, don't know if Primoz was amongst them as they were travelling like shit off a shovel in aero tucks. 

9746e642-c994-450b-afbb-6440821f4fe2.jpeg

IMG_2705.jpeg

IMG_2812.jpeg

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2820.jpeg

Edited by Winnersaint

6 hours ago, Picard said:

Aren't we getting into raised eyebrows territory?

There was a suggestion of that from the commentators during Sunday's stage.  The rumours will only get stronger after yesterday's performance.

Shame really as the ding dong battle has been fantastic for the whole race and has re-written how 'modern tactics' are played out with two very strong contenders.

Well that was anticlimactic in the end. I said to my neighbour this morning that Pogacar looked wrecked in the same way Remco looked after the Giro TT before he pulled out with COVID. Writing was on the wall when he didn’t make his home tour in the run up. As for Vingegaard he’s possibly the best rider out there at the moment. 59kg and a huge VO2 max, there’ll be more where that came from in the future. 

18 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Well that was anticlimactic in the end. I said to my neighbour this morning that Pogacar looked wrecked in the same way Remco looked after the Giro TT before he pulled out with COVID. Writing was on the wall when he didn’t make his home tour in the run up. As for Vingegaard he’s possibly the best rider out there at the moment. 59kg and a huge VO2 max, there’ll be more where that came from in the future. 

I'm not sure Pog was 100% before the Tour started, and his efforts on the couple of stages before the second rest day were a desperate attempt to paper over the cracks he knew were there. I think he went too deep yesterday and today's crash, even if slight, was a psychological hammer blow.

( Jealous of your piccies from the Alps ).

It was a good trip. Good up to Les Arcs, death by a thousand pedal strokes on the Roseland, had to stop 4 times in last 4k, cramp in both legs, but good by the end of the week up the Petit St Bernard

Edited by Winnersaint

• 1 month later...