James Bree at left back

benjii

For God's sake, why?!

I hope this is just resting Manning or something. If we have anything other than KWP at right back and Manning at left back in t'playoffs I'll be fuming. 

Not that Manning is wildly better, although he probably is a bit better, but Bree is not a left back.

I actually wouldn't mind us trying this:

-----Shoehorn--THB--Janny Bee----

KWP----Downsey--BillyBone--Manning

---------------Aribo--------------

----------Adams---Armstrong-------

Fraser CDAJ at wing back if needed or maybe even in the Aribo role.

Brooks ready in case Aribo or Smallbone need swapping.

Edozie and Sulemana can give a pace option up front and if Stewart does get fit then he can play a straightforward striker role alongside someone giving him a hand.

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Stephens did a cracking job at LB against West Brom away (one of our best defensive performances of the season). 

Of course, I'd rather play Manning as a natural LB, but if he's not fit enough, it  would be another option.

We barely gave them a sniff that game. KWP had free reign to bomb down the right wing with Stephens, Bednarek and Harwood-Bellis all moving across to fill the gaps. It was disappointing when he reverted back to Manning and KWP as inverted wing-backs. It leaves too much space behind and it doesn't play to KWP strengths.

Personally, I don't want to see Manning in the line up. He's a poor defender and he gives the ball away too often. I like Bree but he's a right back and KWP is our best player.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

We should’ve just given Meghoma a run out yesterday.

Possibly.

In defence of Bree there was one instance in the first half when Stoke were attacking and all our other defenders had gone across to our right leaving Bree to cover two Stoke players, a winger wide on their right and an attacking runner through the centre. He called across for someone to cover the centre runner and was ignored so he left his winger and came across to the middle.

Stephens in particular has tunnel vision and can only see the ball in front of him. He is not aware of what is going on elsewhere.

Fortunately nothing came of their attack.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

We should’ve just given Meghoma a run out yesterday.

I agree, not just him, but all of the u23’s who are on the periphery of the first team. What did we learn from giving Mara a start, or Brooks who seemingly has head elsewhere?