SFC in its 125th year - your aspirations

Frank's cousin

Next Season/year will mark our clubs 125th year - from humble beginnings to early FA cup disapointmnet at the turn of teh century, through working our way up through the 3rd div south, to the 1st division under Ted, Lawrie's success, the second place in '84 and a founding member of the new premiership... the sea of yellow in Cardiff, to the quite rapid decline of teh last 5 years, we certainly as fans have been through the mill. The fall out from this latest debacle and the administration is not yet known, but its now likely we will start next season - our 125th year, in division 1 - the first time back in the third tier for some 49 years (Duncan correct me if I am wrong).

Lets think positive and assume we will still be inexistence, and the club shop will create special shirts with special badges which we will flock to buy, but apart from that, what do you think should be our aspirations for next season when all the dust finally settles? Getting straight back up?, promotion in our 125th year? Or simply begin the rebuilding process - ensuring the foundations are strong? What are we hoping for from a new owner (realistic please), what gates do we expect, will the 'saints' true spirit return en mass, or will we see further decline? I dont have a crystal ball, but I do think there will be a lingering pain, that will slowly begin to ease as results improve, getting players in who WANT to achieve at THIS club, who have that passion for success and solidarity with their team mates and fans - what manager? what style? what ambition?

Why prepare for League Two? I know alot of people are pretty down at the moment but jesus. We won't go down that far, if we get the right people to buy the club then we will bounce straight back up, and if we do spend one, two, three or how many years in League One, we will be back up at this level. We are a decent sized club with some decent support, if we can keep the kids coming through and bring in the right players (Peterborough have had a successful season scouting players from the non league) then we will be fine.

IMO style in League 1 goes out of the window. We need winning football! If anything this season has told us is that you don't get points for artistic impression.

Never in my wildest nightmares, when I was watching the centenary game, at the Dell v Everton, did I think we would face playing our 125th year anniversary game in the 3rd tier of English football but at least if we do, it will mean that we will have survived.

We need to keep a little bit of style though fella, alot of teams in that league play long ball and stick one upfront, I've seen alot of it! We need to go into games and play them off the park, if we can bring in another striker to partner McGoldrick (assuming Saga goes) we will win alot of games at that level......trust me, if you thought teams like Blackpool we gash, you wait for what we're in for next season!

Why prepare for League Two? I know alot of people are pretty down at the moment but jesus. We won't go down that far, if we get the right people to buy the club then we will bounce straight back up, and if we do spend one, two, three or how many years in League One, we will be back up at this level. We are a decent sized club with some decent support, if we can keep the kids coming through and bring in the right players (Peterborough have had a successful season scouting players from the non league) then we will be fine.

I remember telling my Dad when we got relegated from the Premiership that we need to get up in two seasons or we will struggle. I was right..

He also said after I said this... I doubt we will go down as far as League One. :rolleyes:

The club is like the house built on rock and sand story, in our days at The Dell it was like the house built on rock steady & stable. Since our move to SMS it is like a house built on sand unsatble and sinking (apart from 2003). In our 125th year I would like to see the foundations of this great club of ours replaced with stronger material than we have had of late & move forward.

I remember telling my Dad when we got relegated from the Premiership that we need to get up in two seasons or we will struggle. I was right..

He also said after I said this... I doubt we will go down as far as League One. :rolleyes:

We won't go down to League Two fella, if we get the right management in etc we will be fine. I've seen quite a bit of League One football over the years and trust me, some of the teams there are awful and that's by our standards. It will be hard, but we'll get through it. I would be more fearful if I was a Charlton fan, admin is on the cards for them.

Come on guys' date=' lets think about what we could achieve in our 125th not the misery of failure - we have ghad enough of that these past few seasons...[/quote']

I think we need to go into next season not expecting much and just glad to see the club around, just smile and show everyone that we are a big club with decent support at every game. If we expect to win the league and win every game then we won't get anywhere.

I would just be happy to see our arrogance of the past few years gone.

Obviously the arrogance at the top which got us where we are today, but also in many ways the arrogance of us fans, the constant expectation that we needed names rather than the right people for the job.

Accepting that the players we will have will not be "PL quality" and will have off days and make mistakes.

To loose the arrogance that fills us with the belief that we always deserve better because of our history without having to actually EARN it in today's world

But most of all I hope that the team we build next season has no arrogance, that we create a TEAM of people who work for each other, for whom the next lump of bling or bottle of Crystal is not the reason for turning up to work, for a squad that want to hurt themselves if need be for the cause by pushing that extra mile in training and that extra inch on the pitch

We lose that arrogance that other fans and Board members at other clubs have commented on then I would start to think that some good may come of it all and I would finally see that we can make it back to a standing in the game where we as fans don't feel embarrassed when asked by strangers who we support

easy - A tough guy manager who gets the squad fit and raring to go;

Some home wins to gradually get the support back;

Get out of the vicious spiral that we are in;

Start to enjoy going to SMS and football again!!

I think we will, as the club won't be run by a disastrous plc set up.

I think we will, as the club won't be run by a disastrous plc set up.

Just a note of caution - we blame teh PLC set because of all that is attributal to LOwe and teh various boards - but its not teh PLC set up itself thats to blame, but the way in which it wa operated - the PLC set does have some pros, such as teh financial safeguards etc.

If we become a limited company with a single owner, they will have far more power to do as they please with the club and its assets - should not eb problem, but you never know - and if we end up hating him, we cant have shareholders vote him out!