Rose red card

DrZuess1979 the 2nd

Danish referee "service" on twitter gave it as pen/red card against Rose. Reason was that he took out Dzeko after touching the ball - and that is taking away a scoring opportunity as his touch didn't take the ball away from Dzeko... makes perfect sense to me...

Danish referee "service" on twitter gave it as pen/red card against Rose. Reason was that he took out Dzeko after touching the ball - and that is taking away a scoring opportunity as his touch didn't take the ball away from Dzeko... makes perfect sense to me...

Yes, that´s the sensbile and correct call IMO.

You dont "win" the ball just by nudging it if it doesn´t even change direction or speed of the ball imo.

Which if you watch the Brown tackle he may just brush the ball but he does not take the ball away from Gaston, in fact Gaston has actually played it in the direction he will run in towards goal, and takes out Gaston without actually gaining control of the ball or more importantly diverting its path, its exactly the same. Rose actually got a good contact on the ball.

In our case I think the Clattenburg spat had a bearing on A the decision and B our soft reaction.

This is by far the worst season I can remember as far as bad refereeing goes, seems like there's a big decision wrongly given every week.

To be fair to the referees, there's so much analysis and debate on every decision that they're bound to get some wrong when it happens live. They can't rewind time. 30 years ago they'd be one or two camera in the stadium and you'd never get the analysis you have nowadays. On the other hand, I just don't think the referees are fit enough and the fact they can't be held responsible for bad decisions just makes the game worse. Clattenburg being an example. Says what he wants and gets cleared because the refereeing body molly cuddle him.

Which if you watch the Brown tackle he may just brush the ball but he does not take the ball away from Gaston, in fact Gaston has actually played it in the direction he will run in towards goal, and takes out Gaston without actually gaining control of the ball or more importantly diverting its path, its exactly the same. Rose actually got a good contact on the ball.

In our case I think the Clattenburg spat had a bearing on A the decision and B our soft reaction.

Brown touches the ball onto Gastón's toe which then kicks it in the direction he's running so although it looks as though Brown only brushes the ball he did momentarily change its direction. It was the follow-through that made it a foul, for me.

Brown touches the ball onto Gastón's toe which then kicks it in the direction he's running so although it looks as though Brown only brushes the ball he did momentarily change its direction. It was the follow-through that made it a foul, for me.

Agreed. So Brown won the ball. By that reasoning Gaston subsequently won it back before Brown clattered into him. Should have been a foul and a red card.

Still the questionable as the we actually only get to see that in super slo-mo the ref see's it in real time once only, the brush is so minute how can he see it from 20yrds behind?

Anyway its all done and dusted now.

This is by far the worst season I can remember as far as bad refereeing goes, seems like there's a big decision wrongly given every week.

Inclined to agree with you , bpsaint, although having watched 'official-dom' at SMS over the past season there is some mitigation for referees when they are saddled with the incompetence of some nerds masquerading as linesmen, nay, Assistant Referees, no less, especially now they are all wired up to radio links with each other. Surely itsnot rocket science to be able to look straight across a field and say wether an attacking player is a), off-side, b) interfering with play, is fouled by a defender, and the said defender did, or did not, touch the ball with any part of his anatomy between shoulser and finger-tip, or cause the attacker to be bundled over.

If they can't do those simple tasks they should never be allowed anywhere near a whistle or a flag.

Still the questionable as the we actually only get to see that in super slo-mo the ref see's it in real time once only, the brush is so minute how can he see it from 20yrds behind?

Anyway its all done and dusted now.

It's more likely that he was not sure that Brown Hadn't touched it. Still, as you say it's ancient history now.

Well thats my point, the brown tackle was strong and OTT but he won the ball fairly, his follow through was bad but it wasnt a foul I dont think

Brown didn't win the ball. He just about touched it. Gaston was still in control of the ball and could have scored when Brown took him out.

Well thats my point, the brown tackle was strong and OTT but he won the ball fairly, his follow through was bad but it wasnt a foul I dont think

Rules of the game state:

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits

any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the

referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

OK, say he won the ball, that would mean that he did tackle Gaston, but I would argue that the tackle was careless tackle because he followed through causing his foot to connect with Gaston's ankle and injuring him (even you comment his follow through was bad. if you tackle in a way that the follow through is bad then it is a careless tackle). I even think that there is an argument that his tackle was reckless and using excessive force (you say yourself that the tackle was strong and OTT). I can not see how Brown's tackle was not a foul.

Winning the ball has virtually f-all to do with whether a tackle can be a foul or not.

But it wasnt careless or reckless or excessive force, it was strong and he won the ball, it was definately unfortunate but IMO it wasnt a foul.

Dont get me wrong Brown often flirts on the limit of whether a tackle is too strong or not, I remember in that game the challenge against Lambert ? When J Rod fluffed it ? Anyway he probably got away with it through the fact that we had a shot on goal and he won the ball.

This specific foul ? Ive seen them given, but equally Ive seen them allowed so no I dont think it was the definate foul everyone made it out to be.

Rose's red got rescinded too