Giving Hope to those who have none

Bermuda Saint

Quote Originally Posted by saint lard View Post

It's just getting worse....I honestly thought it couldn't get any worse under the tenure of Adkins.

Come Sept 1st our squad is going to be ooh so mediocre.

Last season will feel nothing but a dream.

Cortese gone,Pochettino gone....the dream has gone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the BooHoo crew is back out! stabbing the hand that feeds them. They seem so lost of all hope! Well maybe I can give a little hope back to the boohoo crew. let's wipe our tears and blow your runny nose, the old dream is dead! no don't cry again!. The new dream is just beginning! :)

We had a great 5 years where we took some academy players mixed with a few good seasoned players, climbed up the league, shed the weaker players as we stepped up divisions and added better players to strengthen the squad. It resulted in our highest PL finish. But those players-assets wanted to move on, hard pill to swallow, but it is a reality, there is very little one can do when the big clubs come calling. That dream has died, go away and morn as long as you like, as long as it takes you to get over it. Then come back with some fresh points of view.

The new dream starts. People we have a great new manager. This new dream starts with Roko, for without a quality manager that can spot and nurture young talent we will never be successful again. But he has shown he can develop world class players and we have 7 academy players in the first team!! here is our new dream team!! 5 are only 19, this is great news, we have a new crop of SFC academy players that if given a few years to develop can eclipse what the lallana, shaw, chambers group did. This will not be easy, they don't have the lower leagues to hone their skills like lallanna had. We have to give them time to develop, to make mistakes, unfortunately the PL is a harsh place to learn, they will have to grow thick skin for all the numpties that will want instant success and skill from teenagers. But if we get behind this new crop of hopefuls, give them time and patience to grow into the PL, we will have another squad full of home grown players that can reach for the top 7.

This dream has a shelf life too. If, in a few year, our 19 year old are now 22 and setting the prem alight, we will have the big clubs coming in again. If our revenue income has not substantially increased to allow us to pay higher wages, we will again be at the mercy of the big boys. If we can increase revenue we maybe able to keep players wages high enough to see a SFC academy team make it to the top. For this I hold Kreuger responsible, not transfers, not speaking poorly for the club, not knowing football, he was brought in to increase our international profile, increase our fan base, increase off field revenue!

So let's get behind this new dream, our club is about producing some of the best English footballers out there, what is to say they are not already here and ready for our support! Lets not stray too far from what we are about, identifying, teaching and coaching young players to become first team players. If we as fans can't believe in this strategy, then the last 5 years have proved we can continue to produce top footballers, and integrate them into a competitive team. Even some of the academy players that were with this new lot that were released are getting great reviews (ben reeves and mcqueen). A further testament to our academy.......... Saints go marching on!

This new dream starts with Roko, for without a quality manager that can spot and nurture young talent we will never be successful again. But he has shown he can develop world class players and we have 7 academy players in the first team!!

Courtesy of Wiki:

AJAX: Koeman was appointed the manager of Ajax in 2001. Ajax' fortunes suffered a steady decline after Koeman got off to a successful start.

BENFICA: Koeman bounced back quickly from a disappointing end to his reign at Ajax in February 2005, taking up the vacant position at Portuguese champions Benfica, Koeman only won the Portuguese Super Cup; the team finished the Portuguese League in third place (behind rivals Porto and Sporting) and was knocked out of the Portuguese Cup in the quarter-finals (after losing to Vitória de Guimarães). This, along with an offer from PSV, sufficed for the manager to leave one year before the end of his contract,

PSV: . PSV dominated the first season half, putting competitors as AZ and Ajax at a reasonable distance and PSV was almost destined to become champions again. However, PSV suffered in the second half of the season, also because of injuries of players, PSV eventually who triumphed against all odds, winning at home 5–1 against Vitesse Arnhem, and thereby becoming Eredivisie champions with one goal at front of Ajax

VALENCIA: starting on 5 November 2007 He was sacked on 21 April 2008. The team would slump to 15th in the league, only two points above the relegation zone, along with finishing bottom of their Champions League group. A 5–1 defeat by Athletic Bilbao would prove the final nail in Koeman's time with Valencia.

AZ ALKMAAR: He was appointed manager of AZ on 18 May 2009. On 5 December 2009, AZ announced that Koeman no longer was in charge of AZ, after losing 7 of the first 16 games in the Dutch competition.

FEYENOORD: On 21 July 2011, Koeman was appointed manager of Feyenoord, signing a one-year contract. At the beginning of 2012 it was announced that his contract was extended. In February 2014, Koeman announced that he would leave his position at Feyenoord at the end of the 2013-14 season to pursue other ambitions.

For me it's not about having hope anymore it's more about not really giving a **** on account of having a clueless board, quality players replaced by loans (one of whom has already got out pretty sharpish) and players wholly unfamiliar with English football. Krueger, Reed and the rest of then can take our secured future and insert it up each other. I don't have a clue who we're playing after West Ham and am not that arsed by my lack of knowledge/enthusiasm,

For me it's not about having hope anymore it's more about not really giving a **** on account of having a clueless board, quality players replaced by loans (one of whom has already got out pretty sharpish) and players wholly unfamiliar with English football. Krueger, Reed and the rest of then can take our secured future and insert it up each other. I don't have a clue who we're playing after West Ham and am not that arsed by my lack of knowledge/enthusiasm,

Who is the "quality player" we were "replacing" with the loan of Taider?

Apart from that one loan to replace Shaw. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, and "familiar with English football", which seems jolly important to you.

And as for players "wholly unfamiliar with English football" I assume you don't mean Long or Forster, but do mean Pelle, Gardos and Tadic. So three.

Kinda like the three we signed last summer? Or the more than three the summer before? Yes?

Admire Bermudas sentiment.

You can only back the hand you've been dealt, or fold. As none of us are going to walk away from supporting the Saints, we will keep throwing money in the pot regardless.

Hope the odds are a little more stacked in our managers favour than they appear to be today when we reach 1 Sep though.... you know, when Krueger has asked us to judge the clubs ambition and Boardrooms performance.

Before we had a plan, a direction, a dream - all the players and staff bought into it. When that all disappeared the players had nothing to believe in - thats why they left - had Cortese or the Argie stayed dont tell me pretty much the whole of the 1st team would have wanted to leave which has been the situation this summer.

We had a management all focussed on the same plan and speaking the same story and working together

Under the Argie we had a style of play - this was great football to watch and won us plaudits across the whole of the football circle - we had a team high on morale and pushing in the same direction.

We had a an academy well run and constantly producing good players and this would support the dream

At the moment we have no plan, direction or dream that any one can understand or believe in

I cant see a style of play a number of our players dont want to be here

Our management are a bunch of muppets (not the football management the company management)

I cant see any plan in our transfer policy

We have sacked the people that ran our biggest asset the academy so who knows how good it will be now

we seem to be drifting from one f**k up to another - totally reactive

these are just my thoughts

Before we had a plan, a direction, a dream - all the players and staff bought into it. When that all disappeared the players had nothing to believe in - thats why they left - had Cortese or the Argie stayed dont tell me pretty much the whole of the 1st team would have wanted to leave which has been the situation this summer.

We had a management all focussed on the same plan and speaking the same story and working together

Under the Argie we had a style of play - this was great football to watch and won us plaudits across the whole of the football circle - we had a team high on morale and pushing in the same direction.

We had a an academy well run and constantly producing good players and this would support the dream

At the moment we have no plan, direction or dream that any one can understand or believe in

Our management are a bunch of muppets (not the football management the company management)

We have sacked the people that ran our biggest asset the academy so who knows how good it will be now

Laughable stuff. Well done.

My thoughts are that you dont live in the real world but a dream world.

We are a middle ranking PL Club never destined to get to to the CL which was spending too much money and was unable to pay top wages.

So the manager and loads of players left which was not a surprise and Cortese left because he could not run a whelk stall let alone a PL football club in a commercial and ethical way.

Now we have an experienced manager trying to gel a team together who I would have thought deserves our support it is him and Les Reed who identify the players that are needed not the the board

any hope for you now? the sky is not falling........try enjoying life and football, be thankful we are not WH fans.

Courtesy of Wiki:

AJAX: Koeman was appointed the manager of Ajax in 2001. Ajax' fortunes suffered a steady decline after Koeman got off to a successful start.

BENFICA: Koeman bounced back quickly from a disappointing end to his reign at Ajax in February 2005, taking up the vacant position at Portuguese champions Benfica, Koeman only won the Portuguese Super Cup; the team finished the Portuguese League in third place (behind rivals Porto and Sporting) and was knocked out of the Portuguese Cup in the quarter-finals (after losing to Vitória de Guimarães). This, along with an offer from PSV, sufficed for the manager to leave one year before the end of his contract,

PSV: . PSV dominated the first season half, putting competitors as AZ and Ajax at a reasonable distance and PSV was almost destined to become champions again. However, PSV suffered in the second half of the season, also because of injuries of players, PSV eventually who triumphed against all odds, winning at home 5–1 against Vitesse Arnhem, and thereby becoming Eredivisie champions with one goal at front of Ajax

VALENCIA: starting on 5 November 2007 He was sacked on 21 April 2008. The team would slump to 15th in the league, only two points above the relegation zone, along with finishing bottom of their Champions League group. A 5–1 defeat by Athletic Bilbao would prove the final nail in Koeman's time with Valencia.

AZ ALKMAAR: He was appointed manager of AZ on 18 May 2009. On 5 December 2009, AZ announced that Koeman no longer was in charge of AZ, after losing 7 of the first 16 games in the Dutch competition.

FEYENOORD: On 21 July 2011, Koeman was appointed manager of Feyenoord, signing a one-year contract. At the beginning of 2012 it was announced that his contract was extended. In February 2014, Koeman announced that he would leave his position at Feyenoord at the end of the 2013-14 season to pursue other ambitions.

I am sure you looked to see who we play next now!, come on, just a little smile?

He has just come out of one of the best European academies (Feyenoord ) and played for one (Barcelona), he seems like a smart man who would have learned a few things along the way to help our great academy. here is what i wrote before:

RK has a great CV, he comes from a club that is better than the Saints in producing WC talent. He brings so much to the table that we can use to launch ourselves to even higher heights. His reputation with working with young talented players (Saints have a few of those kicking around) and bringing them into the first team will continue to provide the first team with fresh hungry players. Here is some facts about Feyenoord that I found very interesting.

More players at the ongoing World Cup have come through they Feyenoord Academy than the academy of any other club. Nine players at Brazil 2014 came through the Feyenoord Academy.

All told, eleven members, nearly half of the 23 members of the Netherlands’ World Cup squad, either came up through Feyenoord’s youth academy or spent a significant amount of time at the club in the early stages of their professional careers. Four of them (Stefan de Vrij, Bruno Martins Indi, Terence Kongolo and Jordy Clasie) are first-team regulars at De Kuip.

Robin van Persie, Jonathan de Guzman, Leroy Fer and Georginio Wijnaldum played in various age groups at Varkenaard before making the step up to the first team and then leaving for pastures new.

RK knows what WC players are, he has played, coached and managed them through the years. I trust his judgement of good players. If he can continue to use his connections and bring in good players from the Dutch league and other European teams at a fraction of the price we have sold our players then I see us being stronger not weaker.

Before we had a tyrannical egotistic one man band running the club. Taking it down an unsustainable blind alley and who while I am sure looking after him self, almost single handed lay caused the issues that occurred this summer.

We are now on a new path and while I am sure the set up needs some tweeking I am confident that the management is running our club with its long term future and success very much more at the heart of there actions.

The way we played yesterday, so early in the new set up gives me more true hope than the false hope of the last regime.

What a tedious OP and tedious reactions.

Its been done a thousand times before.

For the first time in years I think things look far from certain. It could go either way. We had a cack early summer but have largely moved to address this, albeit with a interesting cornucopia of largely unproven new players at this level.

My gut instinct is we will be safe, but just how high we will end up is not clear to me. And, we are only one or two injuries away from deep doo-doo...

Talking of tedious OPs

'For the first time in years I think things look far from certain' you couldn't make it up

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?30809-Why-we-start-the-season-so-badly#.VALElX-9KSM

:lol:

Jesus, its like explaining stuff to my toddler.

That thread was 3 years ago. Thats 3 seasons in your parlance. A totally different situation.

And the next one was 4 years ago....and, lo and behold, in the second post, YOU AGREED with it

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol:

Priceless..

Can I ask what you based your thoughts on the academy by? Have you seen the academy this year?

You should put more faith in Hunter who is running it.

I have and you couldn't be more wrong if you had tried.

One of Ralfs media people sending out a 'go Southampton soccer team ' message

Whilst we couldn't judge us on the WBA game we can't after the WHU game. Let's wait for at least 6-10games before judging.

I am quite impressed with Koeman and we do look able to pass the ball.

Golac - you list RoKo's CV which shows that he's actually won something, at 2 different clubs? Sounds like a reasonable bet for us.

Took over the Portuguese champions and won their equivalent of the Charity Shield, at PSV he took over a team left by Hiddink that had won the title the previous 2 seasons, almost blew a 12 point lead and ended up winning it by a single goal difference.

Good luck to the bloke though, but I still have little hope I'm afraid. On the plus side there are teams far worse than us, but the board spouting nonsense about pushing on is what prompts me to call them clueless, much like politicians that stand there lying to your face with no regard for you at all.

Took over the Portuguese champions and won their equivalent of the Charity Shield, at PSV he took over a team left by Hiddink that had won the title the previous 2 seasons, almost blew a 12 point lead and ended up winning it by a single goal difference.

Good luck to the bloke though, but I still have little hope I'm afraid. On the plus side there are teams far worse than us, but the board spouting nonsense about pushing on is what prompts me to call them clueless, much like politicians that stand there lying to your face with no regard for you at all.

You're trying to justify your displeasure at him being here, by stating that he has won 2 titles in two different countries. Must try harder.

If there is a single person out there in our fan base who has question marks/disappointment at Komean being our manager then I suggest they re-evaluate their expectations.

You're trying to justify your displeasure at him being here, by stating that he has won 2 titles in two different countries. Must try harder.

If there is a single person out there in our fan base who has question marks/disappointment at Komean being our manager then I suggest they re-evaluate their expectations.

Not displeasure, some of the names being bandied around before his appointment were truly depressing, I'm bloody thankful we got someone as good as him, I just don't share the OP's future hopes based on his record, which ties in with the new ambition shown by the board since the end of last season. He's probably the best we could have hoped for, but gone are the days of promising young talents. Winning a charity shield with a team he didn't build and narrowly winning the dutch league with a perennial winning team left to him by Hiddink ain't a great CV, better than McClaren's though, so if not hopeful I should be thankful at least.

This is a really naive view. Apparently if Cortese and Pochettino had stayed, all of those players would have stayed just for the camaraderie and the project, with no thought of earning two or three times as much playing for one of the top teams in World football and the attendant glory it would bring them. And if Pochettino was such a draw for them, then how come Lallana and Lovren went to Liverpool and Shaw to United? OK, we know why Lambert went to Liverpool, the attraction of that move even surpassed his love of Pochettino.

And the funny thing is that the players are supposed to have believed in this plan, but most of the fans on here thought that our prospects of playing CL football was pie in the sky.

The reality is much simpler. It is that we produced several players and developed them into sufficient quality that they became coveted by the big clubs. We were the victims of our own success. But having done it once, there is no reason why we cannot do it again.