The Guy in the Glass

Guided Missile

I wondered where I'd heard the poem that inspired England to victory over Australia in the recent rugby test match. The first person I am aware of that used it in a sporting context was our own Nigel Adkins who recited it to South Today after we got tonked 4:1 by West Ham. There's no video of Paul Gustard reciting the poem to the England players, but

our own Nigel starting the trend. I must admit, I have a soft spot for our old manager and wonder where we'd be if he had been allowed to continue. For those that are interested, the poem goes like this:

When you get what you want in your struggle for self

And the world makes you king for a day

Just go to the mirror and look at yourself

And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife

Whose judgment upon you must pass

The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life

Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest

For he’s with you, clear to the end

And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test

If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years

And get pats on the back as you pass

But your final reward will be heartache and tears

If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

It was a pleasure to see him back here for KD's testimonial in the "dug-out" and especially to see him at one point leap to his feet to remonstrate with his players for playing too many square and back yards passes - and this in an unimportant training session! Now that's what I call passion, our Nigel of old.

As others have observed he might actually be great as Academy Chief where arguably a change of leadership might freshen things up a bit as it had all become a trifle aimless at the end of last season. Nigel seems unusually bright for an English manager. By reciting that poem out loud one could hazard a guess that he is very self critical of his own performance and seeks constantly to improve it. Commendable, indeed.

Get your tin hats out guys, praising Nigel or anything from the Cortese era is near suicidal on this place.

Nigel is a legend for me!

Er, okay then. General and unadulterated Adkins-love is one of the only things that unites all of us on here. There are two, that's two, people that like to have a pop at him.

Not unless Jacko was around pre-1934. The Poem was released then and was written by Dale Wimbrow, an American poet.

The link to Nigel reciting it by the OP led me to watch the 5 Years On video as well, great video - shows how far we've come and great to hear the enthusiasm in Nigel's voice as he remembers the good times. The poem is used as the music to the end of that video as well. Great times - will always be a NA fan.

Edited by Micky
Might have been 'a bit previous' about the poet quoted - apologies..!!