Maggie back at Number 10

dune

She's looking a bit frail now, but it was great to see Maggie back at number 10 today.

article-1285009-09F2C744000005DC-748_634x666.jpg

I watched Thatcher night on BBC 4 the other day. If anyone missed the programmes they're shown here on bbc i player. Great stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00c188n/Margaret_Thatcher_The_Long_Walk_to_Finchley/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00c13bf/The_Making_of_the_Iron_Lady/

I take it you are not going to the party organised in London for when she dies then Dune?

Why would you party when the second greatest PM of the 20th century dies? I take it you're old enough to remember the Thatcher years unlike TLS.

Why would you party when the second greatest PM of the 20th century dies? I take it you're old enough to remember the Thatcher years unlike TLS.

Yes mate i lived all through those dark,bleak years and i even remember her stopping free school milk in the early seventies.

Tell me Dune,apart from Thatcher selling off all our public assets,destroying our mining industry,putting tens of thousands on the dole,openly welcoming Pinochet,the dictator from Chilie who murdered thousands of his own people into this country and trying to run the NHS into the ground,why do you think she was a good PM?

Lloyd George, Attlee, Churchill, possibly Asquith... all have to rank ahead of Lady T.

Edit: Oh that's right, they usually do http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Prime_Ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom

Yes mate i lived all through those dark,bleak years and i even remember her stopping free school milk in the early seventies.

Tell me Dune,apart from Thatcher selling off all our public assets,destroying our mining industry,putting tens of thousands on the dole,openly welcoming Pinochet,the dictator from Chilie who murdered thousands of his own people into this country and trying to run the NHS into the ground,why do you think she was a good PM?

She sorted out the mess inherited from Labour and dealt with the unions. Without her our country would have been screwed.

i am amazed people bring up things as trivial as milk..

if she never even existed, would we still get free milk today..? would we have got free milk 10 years ago..?

of course bloody not

if maggie was so dreadful, why did she win 3 elections..?

She sorted out the mess inherited from Labour and dealt with the unions. Without her our country would have been screwed.

As opposed to the people of the country who found themselves in negative equity after her "buy your own home" plans went tits up !

She may have sorted out a few messes but she as sure as hell replaced them with her own.

Come on now. Regardless of whether you like her, public voting does not mean she was any good. The public is composed mostly of ignorant thick morons who are happy to vote in an ill-informed manner or based on one knee-jerk policy.

Come on now. Regardless of whether you like her, public voting does not mean she was any good. The public is composed mostly of ignorant thick morons who are happy to vote in an ill-informed manner or based on one knee-jerk policy.

the same thick people that have helped put clegg and co with one hand on the reigns of power now..? they gave them their PR..

yes, all those people that HATED maggie, never bothered voting...kinnock was a "shoe-in"

i am amazed people bring up things as trivial as milk..

if she never even existed, would we still get free milk today..? would we have got free milk 10 years ago..?

of course bloody not

If my memory serves me correct,she won the first one because Labour had been in power previously and she seemed to offer something new(after the three day week and oil crisis,when we were forced to borrow from the imf.

Second one was after the Falklands,when the country voted for her(although most political analysts have since said she would have lost if it wasnt for the war.

Third time was against Michael Foot who couldnt win a raffle.

If my memory serves me correct,she won the first one because Labour had been in power previously and she seemed to offer something new(after the three day week and oil crisis,when we were forced to borrow from the imf.

Second one was after the Falklands,when the country voted for her(although most political analysts have since said she would have lost if it wasnt for the war.

Third time was against Michael Foot who couldnt win a raffle.

but generally, all elections are in a similar vein..?

good will, something different, on the back of a recent event, poor opposition..

if she had THAT many hardcore enemies in the country, how on earth did she win..?

history will judge her as a great leader way after she has gone and her time has long past

good will, something different, on the back of a recent event, poor opposition..

if she had THAT many hardcore enemies in the country, how on earth did she win..?

history will judge her as a great leader way after she has gone and her time has long past

Using your criteria the same will be said of Blair.

Using your criteria the same will be said of Blair.

IMO, he was a great leader...he was central to a largely unelectable party become the complete opposite..

his only downfall, his stomping of the middle east..something that leave a scar on more people and sits alot heavier than taking away some kids free milk (you get my drift)

Actually Delldays you make a valid point.Most people i meet who slag off Thatcher and her policies always deny voting for her,but in 1983 she won by a landslide,so the law of averages say some must have.

IMO, he was a great leader...he was central to a largely unelectable party become the complete opposite..

his only downfall, his stomping of the middle east..something that leave a scar on more people and sits alot heavier than taking away some kids free milk (you get my drift)

Although it's not like Maggie didn't do her fair share of stomping through the middle east too... http://www.margaretthatcher.org/commentary/displaydocument.asp?docid=110711

Can you imagine what it would be like now with 15% mortgage rates like we had under darling Maggie......Dune moans about £3.....some of us had to do 3 jobs to survive.

She absolutely destroyed British Gas with the monopoly rule and now we are saddled with multiple companies all screwing the public in the name of competition.

Global warming is not happening...

Oh right. I don't particularly want to debate this as it's been done to death. However, your opinion is largely unsupported, and goes against overwhelming evidence. While you are free to hold your own opinion on the subject, you do realise that to hold your belief you are arguing against the process of scientific method?

Oh right. I don't particularly want to debate this as it's been done to death. However, your opinion is largely unsupported, and goes against overwhelming evidence. While you are free to hold your own opinion on the subject, you do realise that to hold your belief you are arguing against the process of scientific method?

Plenty of science out there supporting my ideas.

We also have to import all of our coal,despite having our own pits shut down and instead of British Rail,we now have different companies all fleecing joe public with ever higher prices that go to shareholders instead of the government coffers.

Brixton riots,Poll tax riots and interest rates four times what they are now.

All down to Thatcher.

Plenty of science out there supporting my ideas.

Yes, there is some. It is currently massively outweighed by the overwhelming amount of evidence disproving your ideas. As scientific method is a process which adapts to evidence, you are essentially saying that you don't belive that the process of scientific method has correctly identified the most likely outcome of the observed data. Being against scientific method is a rather illogical position to adopt IMO.

Can you imagine what it would be like now with 15% mortgage rates like we had under darling Maggie......Dune moans about £3.....some of us had to do 3 jobs to survive.

She absolutely destroyed British Gas with the monopoly rule and now we are saddled with multiple companies all screwing the public in the name of competition.

again, I get that..if she destroyed the country, how on earth did she win 3 TIMES...?

We also have to import all of our coal,despite having our own pits shut down and instead of British Rail,we now have different companies all fleecing joe public with ever higher prices that go to shareholders instead of the government coffers.

Brixton riots,Poll tax riots and interest rates four times what they are now.

All down to Thatcher.

again, imagine if maggie never existed...do you think most of that (if not all) would not be the case in todays world in 2010..?