RIP Sky Sports News on Freeview

SNSUN

I found out that BSkyB is pulling Sky Sports News from Freeview in 2011 and making it a subscription only service. It will be replaced with Sky 3 +1, which is perhaps the worst channel on Freeview.

I must say I'm gutted about this - I love SSN, its breaking stories, Soccer Saturday and heavenly female presenters always cheer me up even when there's sod all else on the other channels.

It's Sky's channel, so they can do what they want with it, but taking its popularity and appeal (which is largely due to the fact it's on Freeview) and offering it only to subscription viewers (thus denying the poor a quality channel) smacks of "Sod the customers, let's make a profit".

Time for a protest.

Is anyone else a Freeview only customer that will miss it?

No, SSN will still broadcast online, God knows if they'll make you pay for it though - I wouldn't be suprised.

Good news is that BT vision have bought the rights to show SS1 and 2, so perhaps that's the path to go down...

I don't really see what Sky gain from this. Having a sports channel on free-to-air TV is surely to their own benefit as they can plug their paid-for services to their heart's content. I really can't imagine enough people will be desperate enough to be able to watch endless repeats of tedious interviews over and over again that they'll take out a Sky subscription just so they get SSN.

I can't tell, you come across as smug and out of touch as the man in your avatar

You are either partially sighted or just a bit thick if you failed to see the smiley face at the end of my post. Please don't reply to my posts again, I don't want you stalking me because you disagree with my opinion like you do with other posters.

You are either partially sighted or just a bit thick if you failed to see the smiley face at the end of my post. Please don't reply to my posts again, I don't want you stalking me because you disagree with my opinion like you do with other posters.

Like who exactly ?? Because i had an arguement about the whole NC conspiracy theory ?? I don't stalk anyone, i actually quite like Stu, but had a difference of opinon ? Or is this not allowed now and makes me a stalker ?

I saw the smiley, but chose to ignore it, i suspect that it was not meant in jest, it is clear you have an agenda towards NC as for stalking you Hypo, please do drag your head out of your ars* you self important idiot.

Like who exactly ?? Because i had an arguement about the whole NC conspiracy theory ?? I don't stalk anyone, i actually quite like Stu, but had a difference of opinon ? Or is this not allowed now and makes me a stalker ?

I saw the smiley, but chose to ignore it, i suspect that it was not meant in jest, it is clear you have an agenda towards NC as for stalking you Hypo, please do drag your head out of your ars* you self important idiot.

Pathetic. I have difficulty responding to that. Laughable. That's how people are dealt with on here if they have a different opinion. Sure, I've been posting on here for many years, numerous people know me in real life and there is nothing that I say on here that I don't believe in the real world. Yet I have an 'agenda'. If you chose to ignore part of my post so that it says what you want it to say then that's up to you. You're deluded and a fantasist but it's up to you.

Pathetic. I have difficulty responding to that. Laughable. That's how people are dealt with on here if they have a different opinion. Sure, I've been posting on here for many years, numerous people know me in real life and there is nothing that I say on here that I don't believe in the real world. Yet I have an 'agenda'. If you chose to ignore part of my post so that it says what you want it to say then that's up to you. You're deluded and a fantasist but it's up to you.

Twist it as you will Hypo, and i am aware that is how people are dealt with, as i get the same treatment from the anti cortese camp. And i never said that you would have a different opinion in real life to on here ? Why would i ? I certainly hold the exact same opinion if face to face as i do when typing my opinions on to this very forum. I ignored the smiley as, like i said, you probably meant it, i mean we even had the 'what if Cortese buggered off' thread from you a little while back, and you insinuated you knew more of the man than others did, so that is where i am basing my opinions of your 'agenda'.

Deluded and fantasist ? Hardly, perhaps it was a joke and you harbour no anti NC sentiments at all, but hey ho, perhaps i am wrong on this occasion, but deluded..No.

Twist it as you will Hypo, and i am aware that is how people are dealt with, as i get the same treatment from the anti cortese camp. And i never said that you would have a different opinion in real life to on here ? Why would i ? I certainly hold the exact same opinion if face to face as i do when typing my opinions on to this very forum. I ignored the smiley as, like i said, you probably meant it, i mean we even had the 'what if Cortese buggered off' thread from you a little while back, and you insinuated you knew more of the man than others did, so that is where i am basing my opinions of your 'agenda'.

Deluded and fantasist ? Hardly, perhaps it was a joke and you harbour no anti NC sentiments at all, but hey ho, perhaps i am wrong on this occasion, but deluded..No.

Where have I not respected your opinion on this issue? Or suggested you have an agenda? I made a JOKE for god sake. Clearly signified by the use of :). Why would I use a smiley face if I was being serious? All I ask is that you accept that I hold a different opinion to your own and that you respect it as I have respected yours.

That's a shame but i'll be ****ed if i'm going to pay for SKY again. Maybe when Saints get back to the top flight, but for now there's nothing on SKY that interests me over and above what I can get on freeview.

Where have I not respected your opinion on this issue? Or suggested you have an agenda? I made a JOKE for god sake. Clearly signified by the use of :). Why would I use a smiley face if I was being serious? All I ask is that you accept that I hold a different opinion to your own and that you respect it as I have respected yours.

When exactly have i not respected your opinion ?? When have i not accepted your opinion ? F*cking hell, all because i said, 'No they wouldn't'

Edited by Smirking_Saint

That's a shame but i'll be ****ed if i'm going to pay for SKY again. Maybe when Saints get back to the top flight, but for now there's nothing on SKY that interests me over and above what I can get on freeview.

But your **** of a Tory mate Murdoch owns Sky...surely you want to fund his venture?

Unlike Dune, there are one or two obscure bits on SKY that would interest me, but they wouldn't be football orientated anyhow, and I'll be damned if Rupert Murdoch is getting even a halfpenny directly out of me.

EDIT: Forgot to say... watch the viewing figures for Sky Sports News drop dramatically as all the Freeview viewers go off the counter

Edited by St Landrew

It's my livelyhood. Yes, I'm a Saints fan and work for Sky. I would contribute more on any thread, but it's the same people arguing about stuff, Again and again. It's frankly a bit dull. Sorry, There's an army of people out there who are just fans. Cortese is a "nutter", I've heard that and he's not well liked by the media.

• 1 month later...
I'd imagine that once it goes from freeview it will be gone from justin.tv as well....

I found a site called everything on tv the other day which has it. Its also currently on tvcatchup.com; but I'm not sure if thats being switched off also.

You can watch plenty of sky-only programs on justin and various other sites.

Yep, it will stay on there, still a pain in the arse though. I'm not really sure why Sky are doing this to be honest. Nobody in their right mind will sign up to Sky just to get SSN and the way it plugs all the sports they are showing is surely a good way of persuading people on Freeview to sign up?

An people are having a go at us for the photo fiasco when sky are doing just that with SSN

Quite. Has the Sun gone ape yet because people are now charging for what used to be free, plus everybody should be able to have access?. No thought not.

Edited by buctootim