Gruesome murders in Southampton

Dave Benson Phillips

In the last 2 years in the Southampton area we have seen

Dad kills his two young daughters before commiting suicide in Southampton

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1718421.ece

Dad stabs wife and daughter to death in Totton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254212/Stephanie-Bellinger-Mother-stabbed-death-alongside-baby.html

Dad kills his wife and two young daughters by slashing their throats.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/07/27/my-babies-are-dead-all-my-babies-are-dead-115875-22443057/

Which brings me to my point, is it just coincidence that these have all happened in this area in the last 2 years? Each of these incidents have been headline national news and front page in the newspapers, I can remember very few similar incidents from elsewhere in the country.

Well (being picky) only one of those is 'in' Southampton, OK Totton's nearby but Fordingbridge is 15+ miles away and only just scrapes into Hampshire. P*rtsmyth is not much difference in distance and we don't want to be adding their crime rate to our already nawty figures.

Well (being picky) only one of those is 'in' Southampton, OK Totton's nearby but Fordingbridge is 15+ miles away and only just scrapes into Hampshire. P*rtsmyth is not much difference in distance and we don't want to be adding their crime rate to our already nawty figures.

Pedantic. I say in the main text 'Southampton area' , yes blah blah the title should say that too, so what.

Within a 15 mile radius of Southampton ( otherwise known as 'Southampton area' ) 3 murders of families and small children in the last 2 years... pretty sure that no other area will come close to that.

Which brings me to my point, is it just coincidence that these have all happened in this area in the last 2 years? Each of these incidents have been headline national news and front page in the newspapers, I can remember very few similar incidents from elsewhere in the country.

I reckon it's the flouride.

years and Years ago there was a weirdo bloke who topped his mum and dad in Hedge End. Im sure there was a tv doc on at some point that went into the whole thing. The house they used for the Doc was my uncles (before he had it) and the hos his mum was in was where my mum worked.

Wanted to find the doc for years but could never remember much information it all so searching is not easy.

Anyone else remember?

years and Years ago there was a weirdo bloke who topped his mum and dad in Hedge End. Im sure there was a tv doc on at some point that went into the whole thing. The house they used for the Doc was my uncles (before he had it) and the hos his mum was in was where my mum worked.

Wanted to find the doc for years but could never remember much information it all so searching is not easy.

Anyone else remember?

The house was in Nordik Gardens off Upper St Helens Road and was empty for years. Only info is what we knew as kids, something about disolving them in baths of acid or feeding them to the checikens but they're probably urban myths.

Can't find any info on Google

The house was in Nordik Gardens off Upper St Helens Road and was empty for years. Only info is what we knew as kids, something about disolving them in baths of acid or feeding them to the checikens but they're probably urban myths.

Yeah thats the one, I remember something about him trying to make super chickens or something. Had a Lathe in his front room that he used to get rid of the crutches his mum used. Didnt his dad go missing in France or something?

My ole man took us for a walk a few night later to the house in Nordik Gardens. We took bats and sticks and everything thinking the place might be haunted or something. lol. In fact I remember he only took us all up to the house so that we would set foot in my uncles house again. lol

Dont think the old bill knew exactly what he did with the body's. Think the conviction was based on the metal stamp that pinged off the crutches and into the filings on the lathe rather than finding any body parts. Disolving in acid was probably one of the options that they couldnt prove. True or not I have no idea.

This sort of thing has happened more in other areas, I'd put money on it.

All 3 incidents were national headline news, front page national papers etc...

... I don't remember that many other incidents in the national papers. I think there was one in the Bradford area a few weeks ago, but that's it off the top of my head.

Anyone else remember?

Someone also killed their parents, or at least one of them, in a house in Grange Park ten or so years ago, think the family may even still live there...

Yeah I heard about this as a kid, heard about the acid bath..

I remember a double murder in Ropley in 2002 where a man killed his aunt and grandmother. Ropley is a tiny village with just a few shops.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/archive/2002/12/20/Hampshire+Archive/5600025.Village_rocked_by_double_slaying/

Always been murders in Southampton.

One being a taxi driver being murdered in Shop Lane in the 1980's.

The Good Family in Sullivan Road, 1990's, 4 kids killed by their Uncle after he poured petrol through the letter box and set it alight.

Then there's my Uncle, murdered in 1977 Denzil Road area.

A teenager stabbed to death in Woolston in the last couple of years.

Another person stabbed to death in Weston about 3 years ago.

Edited by Master Bates

Dougie Latter? That name has always stuck with me, no idea why though.

Now, that was one case that the police never made all the details public, yet I can't be the only one who knew (or thought they did) about the unusual thing that had been done to him. Maybe it was just rumours but if true it would have surely led the investigatin in a certain diection.

Yeah thats the one, I remember something about him trying to make super chickens or something. Had a Lathe in his front room that he used to get rid of the crutches his mum used. Didnt his dad go missing in France or something?

My ole man took us for a walk a few night later to the house in Nordik Gardens. We took bats and sticks and everything thinking the place might be haunted or something. lol. In fact I remember he only took us all up to the house so that we would set foot in my uncles house again. lol

Dont think the old bill knew exactly what he did with the body's. Think the conviction was based on the metal stamp that pinged off the crutches and into the filings on the lathe rather than finding any body parts. Disolving in acid was probably one of the options that they couldnt prove. True or not I have no idea.

It used to be a 'badge of honour' for us as kids to get as close as possible to the house at night, to enter the back garden was 'god' like status, something I never aquired

Here's one from 3 weeks ago, didn't make the nationals:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8259022.Man_arrested_after_woman_stabbed_to_death_in_city_home/

This is local to me, my son went to school with the couples lad. Rumour has it that Mum was having an affair with a colleague, Dad got his revenge is the most apalling way. The real victim in this is the 9 year old son, who has not only lost his mother, but pretty much lost his father also. To make matters worse (if they can be), the family moved here from Hungry 2 years ago, the nipper was fully intergrated into school making plenty of friends along the way. He has now gone back to Hungry to live with his elderly grandparents.

I really feel for this poor lad has had his whole world turned upside down through no fault of his own.

Dougie Latter? That name has always stuck with me, no idea why though.

Now, that was one case that the police never made all the details public, yet I can't be the only one who knew (or thought they did) about the unusual thing that had been done to him. Maybe it was just rumours but if true it would have surely led the investigatin in a certain diection.

Amazing what you can find on Google:

http://www.redcafe.net/f8/how-do-you-get-rid-kin-flu-thing-36495/

Someone also killed their parents' date=' or at least one of them, in a house in Grange Park ten or so years ago, think the family may even still live there...[/quote']

Yep, was over the road from my brother's g/f at the time. Was only 17, just flipped and killed his Dad and half killed his Mum.

The Good Family in Sullivan Road, 1990's, 4 kids killed by their Uncle after he poured petrol through the letter box and set it alight.

Then there's my Uncle, murdered in 1977 Denzil Road area.

A teenager stabbed to death in Woolston in the last couple of years.

Another person stabbed to death in Weston about 3 years ago.

Woman raped and murdered by what is now the Mayflower, late 80s.

Guy who lived 4 doors down from me when I was a kid hung himself and tried to burn the house down (wife/kids survived)

I'm wondering if I'm a bad person to know as obviously I knew him, and by association the family in Fordingbridge. Brother knew the Grange Park family, the girl who was murdered in Allington Lane, and the lad who was stabbed in Woolston!

Crikey!! That's a pretty obscure link, on a Man U fan's site!!

Although I heard it was a different part of his anatomy, but stand corrected as that chap sounds like he knew Dougie quite well.

btw, what did you punch into google? I just searched the name to see and got loads of other dougie latter's.

Stuck "dougie latter" in quotes in, was one of only three results that came back. Nice bit of back-story if its true! FWIW my old man said the same thing at the time regarding what they found, living in Butts Road it was pretty close to home and we always used to walk back along Shop Lane from Pickwell or the Plough late at night. Can't remember when it was though - mid-80s? He used to scare my younger brother with it and we've always called it Dougie Latter Lane since...

Woman raped and murdered by what is now the Mayflower, late 80s.

Yep.

There was a poor chap with mental health issues who got released just last year (iirc) after it was proven that he could not have committed the crime.

If memory serves, he was questioned routinely and implied that it was him that did it. Police never properly coroborated his story and he went down for it. Foolish thing to do, granted, and a guilty man walks our streets, perhaps still is.

And some people don't approve of the use of DNA and CCTV!

Anyone else remember?

Can't remember what it was called but it was a short series about forensics solving murders - he was caught because they found part of his mother's crutches on a lathe or something. Proper nasty stuff that one, gave me nightmares...

Yep.

There was a poor chap with mental health issues who got released just last year (iirc) after it was proven that he could not have committed the crime.

If memory serves, he was questioned routinely and implied that it was him that did it. Police never properly coroborated his story and he went down for it. Foolish thing to do, granted, and a guilty man walks our streets, perhaps still is.

And some people don't approve of the use of DNA and CCTV!

I thought they found out who it was, but he's dead now? Possibly went down for another murder in Skatesville?

I was living away in Kent at the time and had The Echo sent down regularly. I also remember it was a very cold winter and the murder happened in January.

btw, just saw the other 2 links, very interesting that the radio shows from Ocean Sound' have been archived by the university.

Interestingly there was another murder victim found on Romney Marsh (nearish to where I was living) around the same time iirc and he may also have been a cabbie.

I remember a cabbie being murdered near Six Dials way back. I was working in the Register Office at the time and the police thought the suspect had been in to the office. I was interviewed and asked if I could remember him coming in. I think he was trying to arrange a wedding.

I failed badly when asked to describe him. I don't remember the outcome.

This is interesting.

Most violent places

1. North Manchester

2. Sheffield 1

3. Southampton

4. City of Westminster

5. Leicester City

6. Middlesbrough

7. Hackney

8. Kingston Upon Hull

9. Southwark

10. Lewisham

Safest places

1. Dorset Eastern

2. North Yorkshire

3. West Kent

4. Norfolk Western

5. Northumberland

6. Bedfordshire County

7. Knowsley

9. Nottinghamshire (Area D)

10. Essex Central

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1048539/London-soars-list-Britains-dangerous-places-killings-continue-spiral.html#ixzz0uvAuIo6n

Fordingbridge has one of the highest murder rates per capita of anywhere in the country now, due to Mondays events and this a few years back, proper evil...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ruth.buddell/stephenson.htm

Thats f*cking horrific.

5 deaths and a rape and armed robbery, he should have been burned to death, not handed a recommendation of 25 years.

One of my mum's best friends was murdered by her husband a few years ago, mum had to be a character witness in court. They lived in the same road as me in hedge end for years, then moved to Winchester which is where it happened. Similar to the story above, the kids also had to go abroad to live with their grandparents.

One of my mum's best friends was murdered by her husband a few years ago' date=' mum had to be a character witness in court. They lived in the same road as me in hedge end for years, then moved to Winchester which is where it happened. Similar to the story above, the kids also had to go abroad to live with their grandparents.[/quote']

I knew a couple who lived in HE then moved to The Worthy's. He was a creepy guy who I never liked, she was from Belarus, hope it wasn't her.

Obviously sad whoever it was of course.

I knew a couple who lived in HE then moved to The Worthy's. He was a creepy guy who I never liked, she was from Belarus, hope it wasn't her.

Obviously sad whoever it was of course.

No she was from Finland, here's the link to the story. A lot of information came out during the trial that showed what appeared to be a happy marriage was far from it.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23373501-wealthy-businessman-strangled-wife-after-she-uncovered-three-affairs.do

Also amazing to think it made the national news.

Stuck "dougie latter" in quotes in, was one of only three results that came back. Nice bit of back-story if its true! FWIW my old man said the same thing at the time regarding what they found, living in Butts Road it was pretty close to home and we always used to walk back along Shop Lane from Pickwell or the Plough late at night. Can't remember when it was though - mid-80s? He used to scare my younger brother with it and we've always called it Dougie Latter Lane since...

Early to mid 80's. My parents moved in about 1983 and it happened a while after.

• 2 weeks later...