Tim Minchin cut from Jonathan Ross

Minty

A few threads about censorship and offence being caused recently, but this one is ridiculous IMO.

The following song, written especially for the show and taking the TV audience into account, has been cut from the final edit of tomorrow nights show.

It's not even that edgy. If someone made the same comparisons and jokes in a stand up routine, no one would care. Very stupid IMO.

Here's Tim's blog about it: http://www.timminchin.com/2011/12/22/im-not-on-the-jonathan-ross-show/

Anyone find it offensive?!?

The song isn't amazingly funny.

But I hate when people get het up over offence. Nothing happens. The Daily Mail and co are the worst for getting stuff effectively banned out of fear of the storm if it is broadcast.

No funny as he had to keep it light for TV.... oh and that did not work either! Some of his stuff is brilliant, and clever.

No funny as he had to keep it light for TV.... oh and that did not work either! Some of his stuff is brilliant, and clever.

Yer, I've heard he's funny. But never really watched any of him before, so was a bit disappointed by that. But I'll take your word for it, and maybe youtube a bit of him later.

I love the way the BBC can show eastenders with story lines about rape, wife beating, sex and drug abuse etc etc at 7.30 in the evening (before the watershed) all tastefully dressed up as bring issues to the public attention ("have you been affected by tonights episode? call this number...")

Yet something like this after the watershed is cut.... I heard the other day 400+ people complained about the phones4u advert (shown after the watershed) becuase it was scary ......

In respect of it being crap, he does admit himself that it's not the best thing he's ever written:

It’s not a particularly original idea, I admit, but it’s quite cute. It’s certainly not very contentious, but even so, compliance people and producers and lawyers all checked my lyrics long before the cameras rolled. As always with these bespoke writing jobs, I was really stressed for about 3 days, and almost chucked it in the bin 5 times, and freaked out that it wasn’t funny and all that boring **** that people like me go through when we’re lucky enough to have with a big audience with high expectations. And if I’m honest, it ain’t a world-changing bit of comedy. Regardless…

Hope this sort of thing doesn't go on forever. So what if it is offensive? Imagine TV where nothing is offensive to anyone. Fcking dreadful....like most tv out there actually. If you get through life without offending, you've clearly been a vacant dullard.

I'm offended by half the christian stuff on TV, doesn't mean it should be cut. Broadcast whatever the hell you like. I'd like to see broadcasters given more freedom and trying to produce output they actually like and feel proud of, not inoffensive garbage to drag in the most advertising.

Fairly crazy in this day and age that the guy singing songs about rationalism and NOT believing in the paranormal is cut, but the people singing about a mythical overlord sending his son to earth to die horribly are just fine. Bibles in schools, fine. Send them more, promote all the racism, sexism, homophobia and vengeance you like, just DON'T SING AN ATHEIST SONG!

Marcus Brigstock made a good point about this sort of thing, saying it's about time we all wrote letters of complaint to TV networks to express our disappointment by being utterly unaffected and unmoved by bland, inoffensive, safe, tedious programming.

That's fine, if you also have no objection to racism, sexism, homophobia or any other offensive speech. I find that most people who say offensive material should be broadcast, make their own exceptions to that rule. They should not be surprised if other peole make other exceptions.

The perceived quality of the song and how funny it is or isn't, wasn't the point, but never mind.

I thought it was quite amusing, nothing more, but then we all have different comedy tastes.

I just can't believe ITV think it needed to be edited out.

The perceived quality of the song and how funny it is or isn't, wasn't the point, but never mind.

I thought it was quite amusing, nothing more, but then we all have different comedy tastes.

Thats it back on topic. You are quite correct, it is all down to taste, and people would have tuned in if he was on it, and others not botherd for the same reason. I do think he is very clever. On topic, it should not have been edited.

Its exactly the point. It may well have been edited out solely because Ross is supposed to be presenting an entertaining show and that song wasnt. 'Cleverly' pointing out that there may have been some hyperbole around Jesus Christ's life is not new. Its been done a million times since Life of Brian. To be worth a slot of a national broadcast you need to be able to take the same old subject and inject some life and humour into it, ideally without pointlessly offending millions who do believe. Michin failed on both counts.

What I find funny is that certain elements of the press are so used to complaining about the BBC that they do this....

Daily Telegraph News @TelegraphNews VIDEO: Watch the Tim Minchin song that the BBC cut from Jonathan Ross Christmas Special…