Tommy Mulgrew
Members-
Posts
877 -
Joined
Everything posted by Tommy Mulgrew
-
Nah; it’ll be Bill.
-
Vesty retires from football: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ex-southampton-leicester-city-jannik-vestegaard-shock-retirement/
-
Ssssshhhhhhh!!!!!!
-
Are you sure Bazunu isn’t playing in goal for Israel?
-
Anyone know which goal topped the vote?
-
Ings scores for Wycombe in the last minute of normal time to earn a point for his new club. He might be old and slow but he can still score.
-
News about Osvaldo: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/dani-osvaldo-hospitalised-intensive-care-lung-condition-southampton-juventus/blteb14b43326dfe1e7 https://football-italia.net/ex-southampton-dani-osvaldo-intensive-care/
-
Vindication: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cjy5z79939x9t
-
I did not say that we are a useless team; I pointed out what I saw in the second half yesterday, problematic traits that we exhibit in all our games this season. The underlying cause seems to be a lack of a killer instinct, a desire to win the game almost regardless of the cost. I am sure that the lethargic way we play is dictated by Tonda’s desire to control the game to restrict the opponent’s scoring opportunities rather more than to score ourselves. The trouble is that we seek to control too deep in our half and often even do not cross the halfway line before losing the ball. If we tried to control further up the pitch we would not create such serious problems for ourselves when we relinquish possession. The desire for control by slowing the game down and trying to draw opponent south shape is pervasive and takes over even when we should be seeking to put them to the sword. That is why we too often score a single goal when we should have more. The problem is worse in away games; at home we are more attacking more of the time and get our reward in high scores. Fundamentally, I think Tonda is a conservative manager. I believe he should adopt a more expansive, aggressive and attacking approach. A bit more Ralf and a bit less Russell, if you like. Given the quality of many of our players we should do well this season and we have had some good results so far but we have yet to play West Ham, Wolves or Karenborough in the league yet and have failed to beat the likes of Lincoln, Watford and Wrexham, sides that we really should beat if we are on our way to promotion. I am not complacent about our promotion hopes. I believe we should aim for automatic promotion and not be content with finishing somewhere in the top eight. But, IMO, unless we solve the problems that I have identified (I am sure others exist), we shall fall short. Although I enjoy us being in the Championship more than in the EPL, it is not a good place to be in the long term. And I like watching us playing an attacking, high-scoring game, not walking-pace keep-ball in our own half. I think you do, too.
-
I watched only the second half today; it was horrific. What is worse is that it was most definitely not a one-off. Earlier games this season, all of the aways and some of the homes, too, have exhibited the same problems: 1. An inability to close down opposition attackers, especially those out wide and looking to cross into our penalty area. But also an inability to deal with those crosses once they arrive. And an inability to pick-up opposition players centrally in or around the D of our penalty area. 2. A lack of cohesive defensive shape when we do not have the ball. The complete contrast between us and our opponents is striking. We often struggle to break through them; they break through us easily. Even when we win. 3. Too slow getting the ball forward when we are not able to counter-attack an inferior team. It is reminiscent of Russball but worse because we know how exciting this team can be under our present manager. It has got to stop and soon because it hands the initiative to the other side. The problem is worse when we are faced with either an effective aggressive press or no press at all. Fannying around with the ball in our half is completely pointless if it does not draw the opponent out of shape. We know from bitter experience that goals, not possession, win games. 4. No urgency, an apparent lack of fitness, an apparent lack of desire and fight and a lack of physicality. Far too often do we get bullied off the ball and beaten to a knock-down or loose ball. As someone said earlier today, it’s a man’s game and too often we are second-best at it. 5 A gaping hole where Jander or Charles used to be or if Larin, Azaz or Scienza are off-form or off the pitch; the subs are not of the required standard. JWP and Downs have impressed so far but should impose themselves more and drive the team forward more, not merely break up the play. As I have said, this is not just a knee-jerk to today’s loss. Our coaching staff need to get their act together. When we get it right we look really impressive but too often we are ineffective and incredibly boring to watch. Today’s second half saw us playing horrible football, not something I want to see again. We have three weeks to put it right. I really hope we do. I have not written anything like this since our Championship season under Martin. Eventually we secured promotion that time. I am becoming less confident as the weeks go by that we shall do the same this season. Let’s hope that I am wrong.
-
Josh Quarshie played the full 99+ minutes for Sturm Graz in a 0:0 draw with Rennes. Pleased for him.
-
September/ October International break
Tommy Mulgrew replied to Football Special's topic in The Saints
Also, a whelk is not a cockle. A cockle has two, er, shells; a whelk, one. AI tells me that a cockle is “Tender, sweet, and slightly salty” and that a whelk is “Chewy, juicy, and rich.” I rest my case. -
September/ October International break
Tommy Mulgrew replied to Football Special's topic in The Saints
The clue is in the avatar. -
IMO, Lincoln was not a horrible team. The players have their limitations, as do ours, but they played to their strengths, did it well and, with slightly better finishing, would have won. I hope they stay clear of relegation. We, on the other hand, except for twenty minutes or so, barely threatened their penalty area, let alone the goal, and towards the end played to our weaknesses, resulting in two lost points. We could easily have lost that game. Let’s be thankful for small mercies. And hope for better in future.
-
You did: Bridge and Walcott to name but two.
-
Where to now for Aaron Ramsdale?
Tommy Mulgrew replied to SaintJackoInHurworth's topic in The Saints
Unusual for a bloke. -
From a month ago: Justin Devenny, a player who the Saints have been interested in for a long time. The Saints consider the 22-year-old a potential replacement if Charles leaves.
-
In the last couple of hours on Transferfeed, Justin Devenny still of interest to us: ”Celtic and Southampton are competing to sign Justin Devenny. The midfielder is available for approximately €7m and was not included in Pierre Sage’s first two matchday squads of the new Premier League season. It is understood that he could leave Selhurst Park before the summer window closes. Devenny has one year left on his current Crystal Palace contract”
-
@gio1saints’s brothers, who live in Leicester.
-
I use Proton free version, too, and on an I-pad. It works well although it was iffy during the first half today, constantly cutting out; I have not experienced that before and hopefully not again.
-
Girlfriend is Ester Bendova. 😏
-
I always use a vpn. And if the stream dies and you cannot get it back again go back to the home page and re-select the game. I find it is rarely unavailable for more than a minute or two and usually not at all.
-
Fawanews with a vpn has all our games and is usually reliable. Sometimes it has two streams for the match and if one goes down you can usually get it on the other one. Today the first stream got the entire game without interruption. Perhaps it would have been better if it hadn’t. For the masochists among us, bookmark this: http://www.fawanews.sc/
-
A 10:0 would be great. Oh, wait: it’s harder to play against 10 men. 😇
