Jump to content

MarkSFC

Subscribed Users
  • Posts

    2393
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MarkSFC

  1. Perfectly put. Fox is not good enough. We need a decent LB regardless of Shaws fitness or not. If the "back-up" (or other option is how it should be looked at) is Fox then the boy Shaw will not progress as he will with a player good enough to challenge him and actually better than him. That way you find out how good he really is and will be. So ideally a LB, A Striker and a CB. Get them and were are seriously top 8 contenders.
  2. With the team 16-18 players plus a couple of the kids we should be in and around the comfort zone of 8th-14th most of the season. How far up will depend on number of injuries and suspensions we suffer, so I am very keen to see at absolute minimum a striker who is better than we have (not that RL and JR are poor) because we need another option. I also think that Maya and Dejan are going to be good enough to get us nearer 8th but an injury to one does weaken is significantly, even if Jose and Jos have played key roles to this point they are not going to improve and sustaining levels is harder when not first choice. Therefore I would hope to see another CB of equal or better standard than Dejan/Maya. Otherwise we have great options in midfield and despite others thoughts on wingers I don't think that is a position MP sees as needed as we will play with very fluent and mobile attacking midfielders...Ramirez, Lallana, Punch, JWP, Guly, Isgrove.
  3. For two or three years Spurs peddled rumours that they were after big name players above their level at the time and didn't really get anyone but the effect was that it upped their profile over that time. Admittedly they were possibly a level above where we are now but I think we have a better foundation and core of team particularly from an age and potential perspective. Us being linked with £20m+ players is all part of the process of profile building. We may never get to be a top four/champions league team but unless you aim that high you are extremely unlikely to get anywhere near it. It may not be this window or even next summer but at sometime in the next two seasons I fully expect us to sign at least one player for £20m+. Robinho was Man City's catalyst signing....who will be ours??!!!!
  4. No he wasn't. Read what I said idiot. Better than we have.
  5. They have clearly worked very hard on the training ground. Good signs.....just need a better striker and another CB as good as DL
  6. I think signing just one more player - a striker - would be good but not good enough, we also need another CB and an out and out winger, preferably right footed. These additions would enable us to really compete inot the top 8.
  7. Yes. And will develop even further. Him plus another 25-28 year old established striker would be brilliant.
  8. Probably the total opposiite....that they are pretty certain he wont be going anywhere and any bets are free money for them!!
  9. If Gaston does leave I would be very disheartened because he is class. His inconsistancy that people cite is mainly down to his age. Very few players achieve the high levels consistancy until their mid twenties. It is called development. I also think many are forgetting two other aspects, 1)he is a young kid in a foriegn country, it takes time to settle, and it is well known throughout football that it takes months for even older foriegn players to settle in; and 2) he was injured and out for a few weeks just as he was getting going. This puts many players back, not least younger players. I am very hopeful he stays, andif Benega comes in I think that is just as much about taking a bit of pressure of Gaston as it is strengthening the team. Having those two. Lallana, Puncheon in our team is more than enough "skill factor".
  10. MarkSFC

    Lukaku

    would be the best signing....please please please!!!!!!
  11. we're the scum they're the skates. end of.
  12. obviously I'm over analysing it but why no twitter updates from saints today...been loads for trip so far?! and what did Luke Shaw mean last night "cant believe it what Ive just seen".......(could mean absolutely anything of course but)....a new player just turned up at the camp?!!
  13. whoever it is if we spend circa £20m he will be damn good!!!
  14. Lukaku would be my preference!!
  15. whats that got to do with anything?!! Never suggested any facts, merely my instinct. You seem to be upset by that. strange man.
  16. Cortese does not strike me as a man who would be at a very local game if he wasnt confident of getting some deals finalised or they have actually been so already. He would be open to questions, easy not to say anything of course but he would be very much aware of all the rumours and therefore would expect fans to ask...... just a hunch but I imagine the next day or three will reveal 2 or 3 players.
  17. If we sign a better striker than Lambert then he either improves to get back in the team - I think JRod will be even better next year - or he accepts his position as sub or he goes. Simple.
  18. 5,6 years ago Spurs began their major investment in players to move from the ever age team they were to the top 5 they are now and getting better. I recall that they let it known that they were after all these top players and willing to spend but it actually took them a while before anyone of real note signed up. I see a similarity here with us. Of course Spurs have a better pedigree than us so it will be a little tougher to convince many players to come but I love the fact that the intention and ambition is so clearly there. We may not get Damieo or Wanyama (although I think we will!!) and if so there are many many other options in the world so I am confident that regardless of how long we take to sign these great improvements we will certainly do it.
  19. He's clearly not world class but he is only 23 and had played for the best footballing nation in history nearly 20 times already. Name me the equivalent Spanish German French Italian or even English 23 yr old striker and would they be any better?? This would be a great piece of business particularly the year before a World Cup in his home nation. Get real people.
  20. I support Southampton FC because it is "my city". IF I was born and bred in Manchester. Liverpool, London, Birmingham etc then it would mean other reasons dictated who #i would have started supporting 40 odd years ago. Now as much as red and white stripes has been synonomoous with "Saints" for (virtually) all my lifetime, I have never actually preferred them to a ""one colour" type shirt. I like our new strips but totally get why some do not. his is not the debate on this thread. I'm not saying by a long way that I as a supporter would accept anything but the things thst REALLY matter in terms of tradition and heritage are simply the performances and results of the team itself. Everything else, boardroom battles, venue changes, manager changes, players, do not change the fact that I support Southampton FC BECAUSE they represent MY CITY. It would not matter which division they are in and it didnt!! The decisions of the owner(s), directors and employees of the club simply determine whether I spend my money with them and how often. My attendance or not at any particular game will not and never will effect my passion for the team/club nor my desire for them to win. Fans claim that owners have/do lose siht of whats important, I would put it to you that possibly us fans do too....
  21. http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/201213-released-list-854898.aspx
  22. Sergei Gotsmanov and Alexie Cherednik. No idea on clubs without googling but guess at Dynamo Moscow
  23. Can be seen at The Peartree Inn having a pint or two occasionally.
×
×
  • Create New...