The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

I know this is hardly a huge sporting achievement but I went on my first ever road bike ride today. Also the first time I have been on any bike in the last 15 years. Managed a frankly huge 10k and was dying. Not much but it felt so good to do I loved it. Lots of work to do, but nice to be on the way at least.

I know this is hardly a huge sporting achievement but I went on my first ever road bike ride today. Also the first time I have been on any bike in the last 15 years. Managed a frankly huge 10k and was dying. Not much but it felt so good to do I loved it. Lots of work to do, but nice to be on the way at least.

Keep going, will get easier quite quickly, especially if you can try and do that 10k 4-5 x a week. I gave up the fag sin back in Jan and got back on my bike in Feb after 8 years of doing feck all - and did a 16km loop - took me 1 hour and 15 mins and I was completely and utterly gone.... I don't do that loop any more as my daily morning loop is 30k almost twice and I do that in about 42mins ... And that's in 6 months - have lost 9kg in weight (although still want to loose another 20! ) ... And joined a club so do regular weekend rides of between 60-120km - Mrs F's C thinks it's great as she had been nagging me for years to give up the smokes and do something about my weight... So keep it going and before long your'll be lusting after exotic Italian designed carbon costing £000s and thinking about what you can do to persuade yourself an others that it IS a necessary purchase ;-)

95miles today in The Peaks with 8000ft of climbing, according to my ride oppos Garmin which is more accurate than my Strava app on the iphone, which included the Tour of Britain KOM climbs off Star Bank, Gun Hill and The Cat & Fiddle.

Blew up on Star Bank which was odd as I tapped up it no problem last week and it was only 15miles into the ride. Took it easy on Gun Hill as a result but Cat & Fiddle was a doddle, stopped for coffee and cake at the top.

Very fast decent back towards Leek after climbing from Buxton, which was harder than the cat, topping out at 55mph which was great fun.

200 miles odd this week with well over 10,000 feet if climbing.

I'm utterly f**ked tonight and having some flat miles for the next week or so as hills don't come naturally to me.

Edited by View From The Top

We all start like that but it gets easier. Before you know it you'll be banging out big miles, climbing hills because they are there and going at an excellent tempo.

Think about joining a club, it's easier riding with other people and you'll learn loads, such a fuelling correctly, how to ride in a group and you'll ride faster.

I ride out with a club on a semi-regular basis simply because I know if my 4 riding oppos can't get out at a weekend there is always others to go with if I don't fancy a solo.

Most clubs will do a Saturday group ride at various paces and in the case if my club, longer tougher rides on a Sunday if you fancy it.

Fantastic! We all start out somewhere. The fact you enjoyed it is probably most important. There are a few of us on here also who are part of Saints Fans Cycling on Strava. http://www.strava.com/clubs/45350. Feel free to join. I started cycling on a MTB around the fields with my dog (sadly recently deceased) trashing a bike in just two years in the process. I graduated to another MTB which I used to commute, before being seduced by C2W and my first road bike in 2010. It has no equals as an leisure activity, sport or transport IMHO. Keep posting how you progress you are sure to get plenty of encouragement from those here and Saints Fans Cycling.

Bit of a cycling hiatus at present. Banging out 100+ mile weeks since holiday at around tempo pace for me 16-17 mph. Just keeping my legs in working order before the winter training kicks in. Aiming hopefully for the Alps in 2015. Sunday's ride was a typical one. Rolling terrain (we don't get much else around Berkshire) with a few shortish climbs. Have to venture to the Hambleden Valley this week for more testing stuff. All on Strava.

First organized Century ride of the summer (105 miles in Reston) with around 5.5K feet of climbing. Some great hills and mountains in the DC region (Skyline drive only just over an hour away and that is great cycling). Next stop Civil War Century in 2 weeks with 11,000 feet of climbing (or 6,600 feet depending on which GPS system is used!).

So much more fun with hills than some of the boring multi-use trails round here.

A tip I was taught after just starting cycling 18 months or so ago - I used to go out as hard and as fast as possible and would feel exhausted. Was then shown how to do 'heart rate training' rides and within 6 months speed had gone up, fitness had gone up and no longer die on the big hills or long rides. Bit boring to do at the time but so worth it.

Had a spare hour from work this afternoon and was really keen to get out on the bike. I suppose that's a good sign. Only got through 10k in 24 mins with a couple of tiny climbs but for me just the fact I was out there again was great.

VFTT - I didn't say in the other thread but thanks for the bike advice, I completely ignored it though. I bought a cheap Felt F95 and have told myself that if I use it enough during the next 6 months I can get a nice upgrade early next spring.

p.s If anyone fancies mocking me on Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/6097634

Had a spare hour from work this afternoon and was really keen to get out on the bike. I suppose that's a good sign. Only got through 10k in 24 mins with a couple of tiny climbs but for me just the fact I was out there again was great.

VFTT - I didn't say in the other thread but thanks for the bike advice, I completely ignored it though. I bought a cheap Felt F95 and have told myself that if I use it enough during the next 6 months I can get a nice upgrade early next spring.

p.s If anyone fancies mocking me on Strava - http://www.strava.com/athletes/6097634

All miles are important when starting. Winnersaint has added in this thread the link to the Saints group on Strava, join us on it.

Forecast is good for Sunday so get out early and ride a loop through Ironbridge from Coalport to Buildwas. Always great riding along the river when it's nice and quiet.

You will get nothing but positives on Strava and on here from the cycling regulars. (BTW just added you to the Saints Fans Cycling group along with one other) Your F95 is an excellent machine for where you are at present. Good alloy frame with carbon forks, can't go wrong. VFTT is spot on when he emphasises the importance of getting miles in when you start.The only thing I would guard against is increasing your mileage too much in one go. Small steps are better than large ones. I am no expert but I would advise on getting a good miles in on a regular basis. When you start to up the mileage it is often recommended that you do so by no more than 10 -12% per week. That is for your aggregate weekly total and the length of individual rides. That figure of 10 -12% was recommended for runners. As cycling places less stress on joints and muscles it could be a little conservative, but is a useful guideline. I used to use it as a minimum and work from there by listening to my body. Being keen to get out and maximise your available time is probably the best sign of all. Although there is nothing to equal being out on the road, you might want to consider getting a turbo trainer if you have the space to set it up. Great for maximising tight time schedules and invaluable in the winter allowing you to do intervals and still cycle when the weather doesn't allow. Not everyone's cup of tea I am aware, but there a are plenty of videos etc. out there to relieve the tedium if it gets to you. Hope this is some use. There is a discussion area for Saints Fans Cycling on Strava http://www.strava.com/clubs/45350/discussion which you can use also.

I haven't bought the new bike yet because I might be leaving my current job - and I also struggle to work out when I would get out on the road other than commuting, and fitting it in with running too which I need to increase. And if I'm not doing my current full time job, then I'm usually doing stuff for the business I own.

Not enough time in the week. Frustrating. :(

I will heading to Swinley Forest (the purpose made MTB spot in Bracknell) at the weekend, which I try to get to a couple of weekends per month. I do the combined intermediate and expert course, which is about 23k. At the end of that I am usually in need of a good 10-15 mins recovery before I can think about driving the car home again....

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/media/289819/mountain-biking-routes-in-swinley-forest.pdf

As many on here seem to be roadies, a decent MTB trail is usually reckoned to be worth at least twice the distance on the road. You tend to work out a great many more muscles along the way, as you spend much of the time using your body weight trying to keep control and not fall off!

As many on here seem to be roadies, a decent MTB trail is usually reckoned to be worth at least twice the distance on the road. You tend to work out a great many more muscles along the way, as you spend much of the time using your body weight trying to keep control and not fall off!

A good few years ago when I was cycling regularly, I took part in a Helly Hansen event with two friends close to Longmoor camp, which was part running, part MTB and part kayaking. I'd never really done any MTB until then and enjoyed it, but I certainly noticed the difference in effort and exertion! I still prefer on road but will always remember that event.

A good few years ago when I was cycling regularly, I took part in a Helly Hansen event with two friends close to Longmoor camp, which was part running, part MTB and part kayaking. I'd never really done any MTB until then and enjoyed it, but I certainly noticed the difference in effort and exertion! I still prefer on road but will always remember that event.

Good man, not sure I could manage all of that!

I will heading to Swinley Forest (the purpose made MTB spot in Bracknell) at the weekend, which I try to get to a couple of weekends per month. I do the combined intermediate and expert course, which is about 23k. At the end of that I am usually in need of a good 10-15 mins recovery before I can think about driving the car home again....

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/media/289819/mountain-biking-routes-in-swinley-forest.pdf

I live on the edge of Cannock Chase, MTB central around here with some excellent trails, but I leave that for the Brummie weekend warriors during the summer months as it gets packed. I'll get back on the trails come the shiitty weather.

I prefer banging the KMs out on the road (going out for a spin in a min over The Chase). There is something about it that just allows you to zone out and it's almost like meditation to me.

Interesting that you mention distance as I guess it's an individual thing but a ride for me, on average during the week, would be around 50/60km and at a weekend I don't get out of bed for anything less than 100km with around 130km the Sunday average (this Sunday excluded as I'm out with the Mrs so 80km max).

At least once a month we will go out and bang out between 150km - 200km and depending on who has planned the ride, it can be rather uphill which wrecks me.

I live on the edge of Cannock Chase, MTB central around here with some excellent trails, but I leave that for the Brummie weekend warriors during the summer months as it gets packed. I'll get back on the trails come the shiitty weather.

I prefer banging the KMs out on the road (going out for a spin in a min over The Chase). There is something about it that just allows you to zone out and it's almost like meditation to me.

Interesting that you mention distance as I guess it's an individual thing but a ride for me, on average during the week, would be around 50/60km and at a weekend I don't get out of bed for anything less than 100km with around 130km the Sunday average (this Sunday excluded as I'm out with the Mrs so 80km max).

At least once a month we will go out and bang out between 150km - 200km and depending on who has planned the ride, it can be rather uphill which wrecks me.

Fair play. Some serious distances there and much like inexperienced folk on demanding MTB trails, I am not sure thats quite for me. I get the meditation point completely but its not for me - possibly because to find the right roads I would need to load up the car anyway, so I may as well head for the nearest forest / trails / mountain mud bath! I have also done a couple of weekends at bike parks in Wales and around the Brecons, which are mad but great fun. No major injuries yet...

Well this was always going to happen...my first crash today. Well more like stopped to have a look at where I was, tried to get going on a bit of a hill in the wrong gear, didn't have the power in my legs to get going and didn't unclip in time so down on my ass I went. To be fair a lady in a car stopped and asked if I was ok, couldn't help but laugh at myself said I was fine and got going again. Just got back and noticed a fair bit of small gravel stones stuck into my helmet :/

Well this was always going to happen...my first crash today. Well more like stopped to have a look at where I was, tried to get going on a bit of a hill in the wrong gear, didn't have the power in my legs to get going and didn't unclip in time so down on my ass I went. To be fair a lady in a car stopped and asked if I was ok, couldn't help but laugh at myself said I was fine and got going again. Just got back and noticed a fair bit of small gravel stones stuck into my helmet :/

You might want to re-phrase that last sentence?

Schoolboy error. :lol:

I was riding home today and drafted a bus (55kmph on the flat) but at the end of the straight is a railway bridge with a 90 degree left hander and a sharp ramp. The bus had to stop at the top on the bend causing me stop and unclip smartish. I was stuck stationary in my biggest gear so had to wait for the traffic to go back down the ramp, clip in, change gear and ride back up.

Pity as I was on for an unbeatable KOM!

Just banged out a hilly 70km solo to take me over 1000km for August.

Was due to ride with the localish (next town up the A34) club but forgot I was on swimming lesson duty with the girls so missed them leaving. Saw them on the road and jumped on for a bit but they were already 1/2 way through so I peeled off and carried on with a solo.

Out with the Mrs tomorrow so that'll be a nice relaxed pace for me.

So rather than waste my afternoon hitting F5 and refreshing the match thread I went out for a ride with my neighbour. (a far better cyclist than I) Great ride, all in all. Found a detour along a road called Springfield Park in Twyford, quite apt as my neighbour was a young pro at Wigan Athletic well before they moved to DW. Shame that we didn't incorporate Dell Road climb (Finchampstead) into the ride. Anyway it's on Strava. Not much climbing, but rolling terrain, windy in places, but a good test nonetheless.

Today I but off more than I could chew. I planned a 45k route out last night that included a nice drop down onto the River Severn at Ironbridge and a short climb out. Lovely down there at 8 in the morning, seriously felt like crying on the way back up though. I set one Strava segment that is the slowest it has ever been done, though it did include me stopping to throw up. So the 45k quickly dropped to a very challenging 20k that I was glad to get home from.

Might keep it a bit flatter tomorrow.

Today I but off more than I could chew. I planned a 45k route out last night that included a nice drop down onto the River Severn at Ironbridge and a short climb out. Lovely down there at 8 in the morning, seriously felt like crying on the way back up though. I set one Strava segment that is the slowest it has ever been done, though it did include me stopping to throw up. So the 45k quickly dropped to a very challenging 20k that I was glad to get home from.

Might keep it a bit flatter tomorrow.

Which way out of the gorge did you go? I go in via Jackfield/Coalport & out via Buildwas or over the river and up towards Bridgenorth.

Just banged out a pacy 140km (28.9km/ph average) out to Wales and back. I forgot to re-start my Strava after my oppo stopped at the co-op in Audlem and remembered 7km down the road which screwed it up a bit. His garmin had out ride time 15mins less, average 1km higher and an extra 300m of climbing!

Lovely quiet, smooth country lanes from Wales all the way through Shropshire (Wem, Hodnet, Stoke-on-Tern) back into Staffordshire.

Which way out of the gorge did you go? I go in via Jackfield/Coalport & out via Buildwas or over the river and up towards Bridgenorth.

I went in via Coalport down from Madeley going past the Blist Hill Museum, and went out up the Station Road/Coach Road onto Darby Road towards Little Wenlock.

I just saw your route to North Wales on Strava, looks a nice ride.

I went in via Coalport down from Madeley going past the Blist Hill Museum, and went out up the Station Road/Coach Road onto Darby Road towards Little Wenlock.

That's a brutal descent past Blist Hills. The exit via Jackfield, whilst still a decent climb, is pretty straightforward if you just sit & spin.

Just had a look at Station/Coach Rd. Now wonder you struggled with those percentages. When they get into double figures they hurt but 15% is very painful for anyone.

I started cycling again with a mate from work last September (both of us nearly 16 stone!), just half an hour at lunchtimes, we then started training for the BHF Dorset Ride in April where we took on the 25 mile route - absolutely loved it. We both have quick hybrid bikes, and have done several of the local 20 mile+ Sky Rides this summer which are excellent for beginners, but seem a bit slow now. The thought of contacting a local club is a bit daunting as I haven't got a "Road Bike", but would love to do some serious riding through the winter, my aim would be to get up to 50 miles by next years BHF ride.

One thing I find troubles me is I get a really numb bum after 20 miles or so, I have padded cycling shorts but they don't seem to offer much padding at the back, can anyone recommend a good pair of shorts that offer a decent amount of padding for 50 miles?

I started cycling again with a mate from work last September (both of us nearly 16 stone!), just half an hour at lunchtimes, we then started training for the BHF Dorset Ride in April where we took on the 25 mile route - absolutely loved it. We both have quick hybrid bikes, and have done several of the local 20 mile+ Sky Rides this summer which are excellent for beginners, but seem a bit slow now. The thought of contacting a local club is a bit daunting as I haven't got a "Road Bike", but would love to do some serious riding through the winter, my aim would be to get up to 50 miles by next years BHF ride.

One thing I find troubles me is I get a really numb bum after 20 miles or so, I have padded cycling shorts but they don't seem to offer much padding at the back, can anyone recommend a good pair of shorts that offer a decent amount of padding for 50 miles?

It's not the shorts, it's the saddle. Hybrid saddles aren't built for that sort of mileage. Mine wrecks me after 20miles but I can bang out 120miles in the road bike, same shorts, no problem.

If you are after a really good pair of shorts though then Vermarc Tinto bib-shorts are well worth looking at or if you're riding through the winter look at their Roubaix 3/4s.

epic ride last weekend - civil war century in Thurmont, MD. Beautiful scenery , challenging climbs, great rest stops and brill ice cream at the end! Only downside was the horrendous heat and humidity (got up to 100 degrees at one stage) with people dropping out like flies. Huge storm towards the end of the ride and was quite something cycling down country lanes with torrential rain, big winds and lightning landing in the fields either side of the road!

If you ever get the chance to do this ride in Maryland I would recommend grabbing it with both hands - and only $40! Truly the most scenic ride I have done - and certainly the most challenging.

Out of interest, what are the organized rides like in the UK and does anyone from here do them?

Out of interest, what are the organized rides like in the UK and does anyone from here do them?

Some are excellent some less so. Closed road events are FUCCKING EPIC. I'm planning on doing the 4 big ones next year.

My club have an organised ride every weekend, often two.

There is always a sportive running somewhere if you want to do one.

As VFTT says there are always sportives to take part in in the UK, to the extent that they can generate quite vocal and in some cases active opposition in areas where they take place. The New Forest springs to mind. They do vary in price and in quality with the bigger rides being very popular. Planning ahead is essential. The Wiggle Super Series and Evans Ride It events for example. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series/

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/find-a-ride

Events like the Dragon Ride http://humanrace.co.uk/events/cycling/dragon-ride tend to be heavily oversubscribed. In addition, to these our close proximity to the continent opens up the possibility of taking part in things like the Tour of Flanders Sportive, Paris-Roubaix Sportive, Les Trois Ballons d'Alsace and La Marmotte. The latter is generally regarded as about the toughest out there. Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez included in 107 mile course. My next door neighbour did it last year in 9 hours.

Personally I am not an out and out sportive junkie. This year I took part in two shorter events; the Three Counties Cycle Ride and the Wokingham Bikeathon, both were enjoyable and well subscribed, next year I intend to do more and would like to do one in France or Belgium.

As VFTT says there are always sportives to take part in in the UK, to the extent that they can generate quite vocal and in some cases active opposition in areas where they take place. The New Forest springs to mind. They do vary in price and in quality with the bigger rides being very popular. Planning ahead is essential. The Wiggle Super Series and Evans Ride It events for example. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series/

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/find-a-ride

Events like the Dragon Ride http://humanrace.co.uk/events/cycling/dragon-ride tend to be heavily oversubscribed. In addition, to these our close proximity to the continent opens up the possibility of taking part in things like the Tour of Flanders Sportive, Paris-Roubaix Sportive, Les Trois Ballons d'Alsace and La Marmotte. The latter is generally regarded as about the toughest out there. Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez included in 107 mile course. My next door neighbour did it last year in 9 hours.

Personally I am not an out and out sportive junkie. This year I took part in two shorter events; the Three Counties Cycle Ride and the Wokingham Bikeathon, both were enjoyable and well subscribed, next year I intend to do more and would like to do one in France or Belgium.

I'm going the closed road rides around Loch Ness, South Wales & Manchester next year an MAY do the Tour of Flanders ride, but not the full distance. Will do some of the smaller sportives run by clubs. The MAMIL club Shropshire Hills ride is excellent, but hard and the Wiggle Cheshire Cat is good early season test.

Two lads I work with are doing the Etape Extreme in Wales. 220miles and 20,000ft of climbing I believe and they are doing La Marmotte as well. Nutters.

It's not the shorts, it's the saddle. Hybrid saddles aren't built for that sort of mileage. Mine wrecks me after 20miles but I can bang out 120miles in the road bike, same shorts, no problem.

If you are after a really good pair of shorts though then Vermarc Tinto bib-shorts are well worth looking at or if you're riding through the winter look at their Roubaix 3/4s.

Thanks for the advice regarding my saddle! I have a Boardman MX Comp Hybrid and the saddle is very hard compared to my colleagues Whyte Hybrid, which has a gel saddle, so I have "borrowed" his saddle and seat post for this Sundays Sky Ride from Redbridge into the Forest (26 miles), will see how I get on with my usual padded shorts.

Thanks for the advice regarding my saddle! I have a Boardman MX Comp Hybrid and the saddle is very hard compared to my colleagues Whyte Hybrid, which has a gel saddle, so I have "borrowed" his saddle and seat post for this Sundays Sky Ride from Redbridge into the Forest (26 miles), will see how I get on with my usual padded shorts.

Chamois cream may also help.

No big rides for me this weekend after hilly interval training on Thursday and rolling terrain interval training on Friday has left my legs battered.

Slow (for me) 60km social ride today and a short 60km route planned for Sunday (07.30 start). Alas it will involve me getting destroyed by my riding partner, commonly known as "the mountain goat". He's unbelievably strong on the flat and I carry 20kg more than him on the hills and on a short ride his pace is brutal.

A&E are on standby.

Bit of a truncated weekend in riding terms. Spent yesterday in Worcester dropping daughter off at Uni for first time. So to today and 50K+locally. Lots of others out riding including a few on TT machines. Stretches of the route are HCC001 a 25mile TT course and used for the Windsor Tri so hardly surprising really. Pretty much end of season for me. No autumn sportives on the horizon so will see how long whatever can be called 'form' that I have holds for. Pleased overall. that in my 57th year that I have still managed to improve. No kick arse climbing really done this year though so that's something I will have to address in the spring, particularly if the Alps beckon next summer.

50+km of intervals on Tuesday and just under 60km (25km was just getting to the hill and back) today of hill intervals including 3 climbs of a pretty brutal, Cat 3, 2.4km ramp.

Was looking forward to analysing the 3 efforts but my Strava GPS went a bit mental and didn't record.

By usual riding partners are either out Saturday (I'm at Swansea) or doing a charity ride out of Brum on Sunday so I'll go for a solo 100km or so after my wife has been out for her ride in the morning. Might head over and through Ironbridge which is always nice place to ride a bike.

Backroads Century this Sunday out in Berryville, VA. Never done it before but meant to be a beautiful ride with great tomato sandwiches at the rest stops!

Shame, as this is the last organized Century ride of the season and soon enough it will be a case of trying to stay motivated enough to bang out the winter miles - and it gets cold here!

Don't know where on earth summer went - flew by this year.