Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

People seem surprised that someone with a long injury record and a 39-year-old might have fitness problems :lol:

Once again, we've done alright against the top order but let the lower-middle order take the game away from us. Luke Wright and Ben Brown got 250 of their 444 runs at 6 and 7. Still, get up to 350/400 with the bat and we shouldn't lose.

People seem surprised that someone with a long injury record and a 39-year-old might have fitness problems :lol:

Once again, we've done alright against the top order but let the lower-middle order take the game away from us. Luke Wright and Ben Brown got 250 of their 444 runs at 6 and 7. Still, get up to 350/400 with the bat and we shouldn't lose.

If we get to 350 then we'll have done well, good start and then lost 2, nay make that 3 quick wickets.

Dawson,Carberry and Smith all gone, we'll do well to avoid the follow on.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Wood and Ervine taking the fight to the bowlers 160/7

Keep it going lads!

Perhaps the wicket is tricky when there's shine on the ball or something, we had them in trouble early on yesterday and they

got into us in the first 20 overs or so, still I do wish that some of our batsmen would give the 1 day batting a break.

Perhaps the wicket is tricky when there's shine on the ball or something, we had them in trouble early on yesterday and they

got into us in the first 20 overs or so, still I do wish that some of our batsmen would give the 1 day batting a break.

Yeah, it would be interesting if any forum member who is at the match could give us a report on conditions etc. 185/7

I seem to recall Ervine making a decent score in the first match of last season. I'd also be interested to read a report on Wood's batting - I'm hopeful that he can develop into a genuine all-rounder, and would be interested to hear what others think.

Edit: Wood out for 48. B0llocks

Edited by Halo Stickman

Nothing wrong with the pitch, apart from Dawson's LBW which might have kept a bit low. Fine margins as usual. Wright could have been given out 1st ball yesterday and Brown played and missed throughout and also perfected the "spoon it between 3 fielders".

We looked to be batting with a great deal more aggression and it was a surprise when Carbs missed a straight one (Wharf happy to give that one). after that it was a procession till tea with seemingly 2 boundaries and a wicket each over.

Vince looked the best in the world again, but got a good ball from their Aussie and so Ervine was left to do his usual recue act. Wood had a lot of luck, but stuck at it until he fended one from Mills to square leg. Briggs got out in the last over, by which time I was in my car.

It would be unfair to expect much from a bowling attack, which was last years minus Abbott and Coles. Sussex had Magoffin, who is class, but we got out too easily to Shazad and especially Hobden, who went for over 6 an over. Mills is still rapid, but just as erratic as he was last season with Essex. He was too quick for our tail though.

I spent the day worrying that we might prove to be as poor as Northants were last season. My mate has already renamed us London Welsh!

We don't seem to have bowled too badly to their top order, which is encouraging, but once again it's the lower/middle-order that's caused us the most pain.

They're 51/3 in the second innings, but with a lead of 260+ already and more than a day and a half remaining, they'll be in no great hurry to score quickly.

A decent effort but we ultimately paid for letting their last 4 first-innings wickets go for 170. Showed surprising signs in the second innings that perhaps our bowling might not be quite as weak as first feared. We seem to have been pretty attack-minded with the bat in both innings, looking at the scorecard, 13 of the 22 innings had a strike rate above 50, compared to 7 from Sussex. Perhaps a more circumspect approach in the first innings might have helped, who knows.

Three points is a disappointing return for our first home game, but I think there are some positives to take away from the overall performance – we bowled them out twice, and it was good to see Briggs take 7 wickets so early in the season. Also, Carbs and Ervine seem to be in pretty good nick with the bat.

Who is likely to miss out for Andre Adams on Sunday?

Once Bird finally gets fit too I guess someone else will have to make way.

Briggs and Wood? Berg?

Wood I hope, after watching his efforts in both innings against Sussex. I also think they want to rotate him and Berg during the season.

Nice steady start today after being put in, in fact the kind of start I'd hoped for in the second innings last week. If only Carberry hadn't got carried away when he was set we might have won that. Adams and Dawson opening today, giving us a platform to buid on, 81 without loss after 27 overs.

As far as I'm aware, he's not played in the first division before, so it might take him a bit of time to adjust.

We're reasonably placed in this game, effectively 103/3 including the first-innings lead. 300+ would be a very tough chase on the final day.

Vince has 54 runs so far this season. The ridiculous part of that statistic is that they've been scored off just 55 balls :facepalm:

Perhaps he just doesn't know how to be a 4 day batsman against decent bowlers, seems to come in and want to hit every ball out of the ground. Either that or he just can't be fagged to run between the wickets.

Great start to the season for Ervine – 66 no, 42, 0, 102. He seems to have been around forever and has given great service to Hampshire – it's hard to believe he's still only 32.

Great start for Carbs as well – 25, 79, 42, 81.

I reckon this match is fairly evenly poised going into the last day, but I'll be disappointed if we don't come away with a win. Not sure what the wicket's doing - maybe it's a big day ahead for Briggs and possibly Dawson - but I think Tomlinson's early morning spell might well be the key.

Predictable ending after they dug in / fell asleep.

Worrying though that our dibby dobby seamers and front line spinner couldnt bowl them out on the 4th day. Unless pitches are green seamers i think we'll struggle to take 20 wickets against 1st Div sides

Worrying though that our dibby dobby seamers and front line spinner couldnt bowl them out on the 4th day. Unless pitches are green seamers i think we'll struggle to take 20 wickets against 1st Div sides

Sounded like the pitch got very flat on days 3 and 4, to be fair. The fact that their relatively strong bowling attack let us get nearly 400 in the second innings at a decent rate suggests it wasn't a deteriorating pitch.

Fidel Edwards joining early over the next few days so Hants will at least have someone bowling some adult deliveries with the new ball and not junior cricket pace like the arm of little wee diddy military medium we've somehow ended up with. Still need at least one more new Kolpak fast bowler signing to compete or we might as well start with the youngsters like Basil Akram and prepare for a return to D2. No more Berg, Adams or Arafat bits and pieces signings please Rod, it didn't work for England in the 1990s.

Impressed with Hales whenever I've seen him, used to struggle in four dayers but great start to the season. Could be in the race for an Ashes spot. Notts are a strong side, Will Gidman in at 8 tells you they are hard to bowl out even with a far better attack than ours.