Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

What is wrong with our batting just now? After a steady start (perhaps too steady) yesterday we have now collapsed to 139/5

again. True there's a nigh****chman in the men out but if our batting starts to fail us we're going to be in the deep brown.

Going to be in? Were already in !

Sadly were nailed on certs for relegation, team isnt good enough at this level - good one day team but very lacking at the longer format - but the 20/20 is where the money is so unless we can get a good youth system like Durham or Somerset its Kolpaks and handoff's back in Div 2

Going to be in? Were already in !

Sadly were nailed on certs for relegation, team isnt good enough at this level - good one day team but very lacking at the longer format - but the 20/20 is where the money is so unless we can get a good youth system like Durham or Somerset its Kolpaks and handoff's back in Div 2

But here we seem to be getting thrashed by Worcs, didn't we finish above them last season ? Have they improved where we haven't?

Poorest day of the season for Hampshire. Batting brittle and they bowling woeful! If it was not for the Lunch and Tea I had booked and the good company I was with, I would have been out of there pretty quick!

We are relegation certainties on present form and I cannot see it getting better. Management and Coaches much take equal blame as well.

Only highlight was Edwards, who subbed for Smith all afternoon, coming out after tea, going up to the umpire standing at the bowling end, taking of his sweater and handing it to him as if he was about to open the bowling!

Cold miserable day in every respect!!

It seems to me that Worcestershire made the most of the bowler-friendly conditions when they bowled, but we've bowled some absolute ****e and let them pile on the runs. We should have a bowling attack capable of beating Worcestershire, but we've had a bad day.

Looks like the signing of Fidel Edwards isn't working out, not taking wickets and haemorrhaging runs isn't a good combination, and being dropped in order to keep a rookie in the side is a bad sign.

It seems to me that Worcestershire made the most of the bowler-friendly conditions when they bowled, but we've bowled some absolute ****e and let them pile on the runs. We should have a bowling attack capable of beating Worcestershire, but we've had a bad day.

Looks like the signing of Fidel Edwards isn't working out, not taking wickets and haemorrhaging runs isn't a good combination, and being dropped in order to keep a rookie in the side is a bad sign.

Steve, when Briggs did not play in the last home game it was for the coaches to see what a 4 seamer attack could do and to decide which one they would leave out to get Briggs back in. I will say no more as it was a private conversation. In that game Edwards showed he was not the answer. They have high hope for Wheal and need to get him some experience. He is very confident but to me far from being ready.

We signed an aging Adams, and injured Bird, and then panicked and bought Edwards over early without any 4 day cricket for an age! You have to question the management decisions.

One shining light, Berg looks a decent signing similar to Smith was last year.

Steve, when Briggs did not play in the last home game it was for the coaches to see what a 4 seamer attack could do and to decide which one they would leave out to get Briggs back in. I will say no more as it was a private conversation. In that game Edwards showed he was not the answer. They have high hope for Wheal and need to get him some experience. He is very confident but to me far from being ready.

We signed an aging Adams, and injured Bird, and then panicked and bought Edwards over early without any 4 day cricket for an age! You have to question the management decisions.

One shining light, Berg looks a decent signing similar to Smith was last year.

I've not seen any of our 4-day games, but purely on the figures Berg looks like he's been pretty good. Wonder if there's an argument to throw him into the T20 side instead of Edwards, or are we banking on Bird eventually being fit enough to play?

As you say, our recruitment has been bizarre. Whatever went on with Matt Coles was obviously serious enough for him to be told to sling his hook, but his performances for Kent so far this year (admittedly in D2) have been excellent, and with Edwards tossing it all over the place, we lack that bit of genuine hostility in our bowling. While Berg and Smith have been good signings, they're both very much the wrong side of 30 - that's going to catch up with us sooner rather than later, we don't have that much youth and energy in the side anymore. 6 of the 11 playing in this game are comfortably over 30, 4 now into their mid-20s and only Wheal bringing the average age down, this must be the oldest Hampshire team in living memory, and yet we're trying to get by in what is now a pretty competitive top flight.

If we've not got players coming through from the academy and seconds, we should be recruiting young players with potential and something to prove rather than loads of old-timers coming here for one last payday.

Now 16 for 1 - Dawson out. I can see us losing this. It is really very poor.

Obviously the whole set up at the club is geared at the more lucrative t20. The whole emphasis of the club appears to be on one day cricket. Probably explains the woeful ageing injury prone stop gap signings we've made for the 4 day side. The bowling lineup in the current game would struggle to bowl

A div 2 side out, let alone div 1. Embarassing and I'd be willing to bet we go the whole championship season winless. Said as much after the first 3 games

Well, that's another game lost. 2 wickets on ten stroke of lunch has meant this games all over bar the formalities. I won't be wasting my money going to any 4 day games this season if this is the dross they are going to be serving up. If they can't even be bothered to try putting together a squad that's going to at least compete and show a bit of promise then I'm not going to bother either.

Well, that's another game lost. 2 wickets on ten stroke of lunch has meant this games all over bar the formalities. I won't be wasting my money going to any 4 day games this season if this is the dross they are going to be serving up. If they can't even be bothered to try putting together a squad that's going to at least compete and show a bit of promise then I'm not going to bother either.

Tbf who would have predicted that Vince and Carberry were going to be so consistently bad in 4 day games, the bowling? Well we all knew that that wasn't any too hopeful. It was bad last season, not got any better.

Well we got a draw which was no mean feat given the position we were in at lunch. Well done to Smith and the others who showed a bit of fight. However, the evidence indicates that we are too weak in terms of batting and bowling to survive - we are the only side which hasn't won a game yet. Can you see that changing?

I've not seen any of our 4-day games, but purely on the figures Berg looks like he's been pretty good. Wonder if there's an argument to throw him into the T20 side instead of Edwards, or are we banking on Bird eventually being fit enough to play?

As you say, our recruitment has been bizarre. Whatever went on with Matt Coles was obviously serious enough for him to be told to sling his hook, but his performances for Kent so far this year (admittedly in D2) have been excellent, and with Edwards tossing it all over the place, we lack that bit of genuine hostility in our bowling. While Berg and Smith have been good signings, they're both very much the wrong side of 30 - that's going to catch up with us sooner rather than later, we don't have that much youth and energy in the side anymore. 6 of the 11 playing in this game are comfortably over 30, 4 now into their mid-20s and only Wheal bringing the average age down, this must be the oldest Hampshire team in living memory, and yet we're trying to get by in what is now a pretty competitive top flight.

If we've not got players coming through from the academy and seconds, we should be recruiting young players with potential and something to prove rather than loads of old-timers coming here for one last payday.

Exactly! But what young person with potential will join us when they saw how we treated young Michael Bates?

First let me address the Michael Bates situation. The club recognized he was one of the best glove men in the country but he needed to be able to score runs. Wheater was doing that last season and we had McManus in the wings. It was thought better to let him go. What is surprising is that no other county took him on and he is now playing minor counties cricket. In this day and age in the Championship the wicket keeper must also be bat. The fact that no other county took him on speaks volumes. A great loss to cricket but that is how it goes and it would be unfair to blame Hampshire.

Jackson Bird was indeed dross last night but give him a chance. This was his first competitive game. Do not jump to early conclusions.

Shah is not fit enough to play the 4 day game any more so he is earning his money in T20 round the world. We would be unable to tie him down to a contract.

Wood's knee problem is degenerative and he is not fit and regrettably may never be fit for all types of the game. At present they are restricting his work load to 1 day cricket but as that programe comes to an end he may get a couple of 4 day games at the back end of the season

First let me address the Michael Bates situation. The club recognized he was one of the best glove men in the country but he needed to be able to score runs. Wheater was doing that last season and we had McManus in the wings. It was thought better to let him go. What is surprising is that no other county took him on and he is now playing minor counties cricket. In this day and age in the Championship the wicket keeper must also be bat. The fact that no other county took him on speaks volumes. A great loss to cricket but that is how it goes and it would be unfair to blame Hampshire.

Jackson Bird was indeed dross last night but give him a chance. This was his first competitive game. Do not jump to early conclusions.

Shah is not fit enough to play the 4 day game any more so he is earning his money in T20 round the world. We would be unable to tie him down to a contract.

Wood's knee problem is degenerative and he is not fit and regrettably may never be fit for all types of the game. At present they are restricting his work load to 1 day cricket but as that programe comes to an end he may get a couple of 4 day games at the back end of the season

Thanks Weston...yes should give him a chance really but wow it was so poor - line way off and so many long hops it was help yourself and undoing what a great job the other end was doing in tying them down. Very impressed with Yarafat, Smith and Briggs again lets hope England stay away and don't ruin him again.

Still think we are a good bowler short from a top T20 side - could make finals day but not enough strike bowlers to win it IMHO.

Listing to Hampshire being rather smashed by Somerset - we need about 6 wickets to even make a game of it. I do think that Kevin James is a dreadful commentator.

To be fair I watched Chris Gayle dismantle some of the best bowlers in the world, so no digrace in losing tonight.

Interesting team against Sussex

JHK Adams*, SP Terry, MA Carberry, JM Vince, WR Smith, AJA Wheater†, SM Ervine, GK Berg, JM Bird, DR Briggs, FH Edwards

Dawson dropped with Terry coming in. Tomlinson and Wheal dropped for Bird and Edwards.

I knew there would be changes as the coaches were very angry with our recent performances and held some crisis meetings during the Worcestershire game.

Sussex win the toss and bat so our bowlers will come under close scrutiny.

They will probably realise that you need to be able to score runs in the 2nd Division, to be guaranteed a contract.

Bates scored his maiden century in the season he was replaced, so he was getting his batting act together

Bates scored his maiden century in the season he was replaced, so he was getting his batting act together

Completely wrong.

Scored his only century in May 2012. Released at the end of last season. So 2 and a half seasons to make a batting impression and he didn't. As Weston pointed out, no other county has snapped him up either.

Completely wrong.

Scored his only century in May 2012. Released at the end of last season. So 2 and a half seasons to make a batting impression and he didn't. As Weston pointed out, no other county has snapped him up either.

He was replaced by Wheater and lost his place at the end of the season he scored his first century, after that he was not in the team and so did not have any time to prove his batting progress. Fact.

He was replaced by Wheater and lost his place at the end of the season he scored his first century, after that he was not in the team and so did not have any time to prove his batting progress. Fact.

Still wrong.

Between getting his ONLY first class ton and being released, he played 23 first class matches without getting close to another. That doesn't quite tally with "not having any time".

Here is the list http://cricketarchive.com/Players/200/200045/First-Class_Matches.html

That, Sir, is a fact.

148/3 in the morning session with a lunchtime lead of 13, I think that can probably be regarded as one of our more successful sessions this season :lol:

Wheater and Berg showing that there perhaps aren't quite as many demons in the pitch as the last couple of games at Hove have suggested.

I think Bates is actually just the poster boy for the shambolic way our recruitment has been run over the last few years, rather than him being the biggest victim. As you rightly say, his batting wasn't good enough, and no other county has signed him even as a second-choice keeper (you'd think Somerset might be looking for a backup keeper now Kieswetter's been forced to retire).

We had a load of young players in the side a few years ago, ably led by a handful of wily old pros (the likes of Cork, Mascarenhas and Pothas), whereas now we've got a load of old pros and only a handful of youngsters, the majority of whom were in that same side years ago anyway. Nobody's really forced their way through since then, Chris Wood's bowling isn't fast enough for the four-day game, Briggs has been messed about a hell of a lot, and other youngsters who have played a few games and seemingly done alright have been let go while we bring in older players on presumably big wages.

Is there anyone coming through the academy who is likely to be good enough, or is the whole system just going through the motions in order to get the ECB funding attached to it?

Went to the last hour after work as live round the corner and Edwards was rapid and very threatening. Get him bowling like that for more days and he will get lots of wickets.

Absolutely have to win from this position and hopefully a good confidence boost for the players.

Went to the last hour after work as live round the corner and Edwards was rapid and very threatening. Get him bowling like that for more days and he will get lots of wickets.

Absolutely have to win from this position and hopefully a good confidence boost for the players.

Yeah, the reports say Edwards was pretty intimidating. Hope he stays fit. I've not seen a Hampshire bowler bowl a fast spell since Marshall.