Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

Blimey we've all had a bit of a moan the last few days, we get a win...and no one mentions it! Well done Mason Crane 2-34. Not a bad first couple of scalps either. I wonder will they be tempted to throw him in the next 4 dat game?

Was a good win and the players were buzzing after. Spoke to Woody before the game. He played in the 2nds 3 day win against Sussex but has a slight side strain of not risked. that Gave Crane his chance. Raj Maru was singing his praises to me a few years ago and he does look good. However, Briggs is our main spinner and we will not often go into a 4 day game with 2 front line spinners. Even Udal struggled to get games when Warne played.

Sean Terry will continue to open in the next championship game against Durham on Sunday week.

Was a good win and the players were buzzing after. Spoke to Woody before the game. He played in the 2nds 3 day win against Sussex but has a slight side strain of not risked. that Gave Crane his chance. Raj Maru was singing his praises to me a few years ago and he does look good. However, Briggs is our main spinner and we will not often go into a 4 day game with 2 front line spinners. Even Udal struggled to get games when Warne played.

Sean Terry will continue to open in the next championship game against Durham on Sunday week.

Cheers for the update Weston. Must be close to make or break for Terry he's 23 now.Sounds like Briggs had a good game too. Have to keep Wheater at number 3. I may be tempted to bat him higher in four day as well but i'm not sure.

Although before year round international cricket we did manage to get our fair share of top class overseas bowlers.

Roberts, Marshall, O'Sullivan, Warne.....now those were bowlers and I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Still going back in time a bit now I suppose.

Elvis Reifer was one I remember but what I really meant was developing bowlers and bringing them into the first team as it is not easy these days as you say with year round cricket

We have had Tremlett and Udal but not many more since Bob Cottom when I was at school in the 1960s we even had John Rice Trevor Jesty and Tim Tremlett opening the bowling in 1970/80 era.

Not sure Cardigan Connor counts

Moin Ashraf on trial from Yorkshire. Unless we are totally out of money, I'd sign him until the end of the season and get him straight in the side if he's fit enough. Seen him bowl and lively in pace, highly rated Bradford lad but their seam attack has avoided injuries and very settled and strong, not least Ryan Sidebottom!

Adams must have been dropped. Would rather have Terry and Dawson open at the moment, had we not lent the latter to get Essex promoted.

Jimmy Adams steps down as captain to concentrate of batting. As it is also he benefit year, he has a young family and his dad is not well and it is a sensible approach. James Vince to take over captaincy.

Interesting one with Dawson being recalled wadesmith. I was told Terry would start against Durham but that must now be in doubt! I will try to speak to Dawson's Mum tomorrow to try to get the inside story.

Squad v @DurhamCricket: Dawson, Adams, Carberry, Vince ©, Smith, Gatting, Terry, Wheater, McManus, Bird, Berg, Briggs, Crane, Tomlinson.

Adams decision- it's so he can find form with the bat and looks as though he will return to role if that happens. (Radio Solent)

Edited by Weston Saint

The team/club looks like it is in meltdown, pleased Dawson is back perhaps we will now value him and use him. Do any of the 'coaches' know how to nurture and encourage young talent? I don't see any sign that they do

The team/club looks like it is in meltdown, pleased Dawson is back perhaps we will now value him and use him. Do any of the 'coaches' know how to nurture and encourage young talent? I don't see any sign that they do

i have no idea if they are in meltdown, but they're is bit of a worrying trend at the club. Couple of years ago David Balcombe went out on loan did amazingly, came back and his form withered away. Matt Coles was doing really well for us and then leaves due to the fact the club aren't happy with him and Dawson goes out on loan scores 99 and now he's back. To the outsider it is starting to look like there is something not quite right within the club. Anyone got any info on Wheater?

Too many dropped catches today by the sound of it.

One certainly gets the impression that there is something not quite right within the club.

Of course there is, we can't bat, we can't bowl and now we can't catch. Guess we're just not a very good cricket team right now.

Mason Crane with all 4 wickets in Durham's innings before they declare, leaving us with a chase of 305 in a minimum of 72 overs. 4.23 runs per over, wouldn't have thought we'll get anywhere near, but as long as we bat out the draw that'll show a bit of progress, I think.

Mason Crane with all 4 wickets in Durham's innings before they declare, leaving us with a chase of 305 in a minimum of 72 overs. 4.23 runs per over, wouldn't have thought we'll get anywhere near, but as long as we bat out the draw that'll show a bit of progress, I think.

And Carberry is out....first ball.

The structure of the Club is wrong, the young stars have not been nurtured (Woods, Briggs Bates Dawson were so promising) and a succession of overseas folk have been brought in for short terms to discourage them. we are the Pompey of cricket

I have been quite defensive towards our club but something is definitely not right.

Who was it who decided to ask Carberry to step down to No 3 (yes despite rumours that Carberry asked but did not - but he did say he would do it for the youngsters when asked) and then in this game restored him to opener.

Who told Dawson he would not feature as his batting was not up to it forgetting his excellent bowling support and slip fielding but then within his first month recalled him from his excellent stay in Essex rediscovering his love for cricket)!

Who persuaded Adams to step down as captain to concentrate on his form and then handed it to someone whose form was worse and needed to concentrate on his batting.

Who asked for a spinners wicket to be produced because he feared Durham's seam and then dropped our number one spinner. Crane has had a good debut but that is not the point!

Spoke to Durham people yesterday and they say he was an excellent man manager. So he may be but his decision making looks very suspect.

I have been quite defensive towards our club but something is definitely not right.

Who was it who decided to ask Carberry to step down to No 3 (yes despite rumours that Carberry asked but did not - but he did say he would do it for the youngsters when asked) and then in this game restored him to opener.

Who told Dawson he would not feature as his batting was not up to it forgetting his excellent bowling support and slip fielding but then within his first month recalled him from his excellent stay in Essex rediscovering his love for cricket)!

Who persuaded Adams to step down as captain to concentrate on his form and then handed it to someone whose form was worse and needed to concentrate on his batting.

Who asked for a spinners wicket to be produced because he feared Durham's seam and then dropped our number one spinner. Crane has had a good debut but that is not the point!

Spoke to Durham people yesterday and they say he was an excellent man manager. So he may be but his decision making looks very suspect.

Some of the very odd decision-making - as you highlight here - has reminded me of Saints in 2004/5 - and with the same results by the look of it! Would imagine there will be a massive clearout of coaching staff and List A players at the end of this wretched season. Giles White will be gone as well I'd have thought. Just astonishing the amount of talented cricketers that Hants have managed to ruin.

It really has been a case of 'mind the gap this season'. The only positive is seeing the youngsters giving it a go - Crane and McManus this match - plus we've blooded the likes of Wheal this season. I'd give some more a game as the old boys are going to go down rock bottom anyway. Sad as many of them have given great service but they'll need to start thinking about the next phase of their professional life after playing cricket.

I keep hearing on hear about our lack of developing young players

Dawson, Vince, Briggs, Woods and Bates all played for England Under 19's and all have developed and gained much 1st team experience. Dawson is very much a regular (save this recent blip that the club seem to have accepted as an error). Vince is having a poor season but no doubting his class. He even captained the Lions in the winter! Briggs has played for England in IOD and T20. He is a regular in the first team and our recognized no 1 spinner. Woods was coming along nicely but got a knee injury and degenerative osteoarthritis has set in. Hardly the clubs fault. Bates recognized as one of the best glovemen in the country but despite many hours trying to coach his batting he just does not have it. Somerset have taken him on trial and he has played 10 county championship innings for them. Highest score of 16. Nowadays your wicket keeper has to score runs

We have a few youngsters now. McManus (Wicket Keeper) who has just saved the game for Hampshire with a batting 53no. He was Englan Under 19 last year. Crane who has taken 5 wickets on his debut. Weatherill (opener) picked as captain of England Under 19's next week along with Taylor and Crane. These are young talented players. Add to that Alsop (batsman who can also keep wicket) as an under 19 England last year. Then we have Sean Terry who has done a decent job when he came in. Brad Wheal who has been given his chance this year (it was not intended he play as much 1st team as he did)

Barber was our bowling hope but he does not look like being ready yet.

Dawson, Vince, Briggs, Woods and Bates all played for England Under 19's and all have developed and gained much 1st team experience. Dawson is very much a regular (save this recent blip that the club seem to have accepted as an error). Vince is having a poor season but no doubting his class. He even captained the Lions in the winter! Briggs has played for England in IOD and T20. He is a regular in the first team and our recognized no 1 spinner. Woods was coming along nicely but got a knee injury and degenerative osteoarthritis has set in. Hardly the clubs fault. Bates recognized as one of the best glovemen in the country but despite many hours trying to coach his batting he just does not have it. Somerset have taken him on trial and he has played 10 county championship innings for them. Highest score of 16. Nowadays your wicket keeper has to score runs

We have a few youngsters now. McManus (Wicket Keeper) who has just saved the game for Hampshire with a batting 53no. He was Englan Under 19 last year. Crane who has taken 5 wickets on his debut. Weatherill (opener) picked as captain of England Under 19's next week along with Taylor and Crane. These are young talented players. Add to that Alsop (batsman who can also keep wicket) as an under 19 England last year. Then we have Sean Terry who has done a decent job when he came in. Brad Wheal who has been given his chance this year (it was not intended he play as much 1st team as he did)

Good summary, thanks. Reasons to be a little more positive for the future in what has been a poor season thus far.

Thanks for that but we need to seriously look at who does the recruiting! Why have we not managed to bring in the quality others have ? Andre classic example, Gatting not great before us was he and bowling again neglected. We must really be short on funding. Always enjoy your cricket posts Weston guess we are all frustrated at how bad we are this year.

Alpine Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It never rains but it pours - after that collapse we will be lucky to win tonight and that will be us out of the T20 competition.

Oh we won't win this. I still can't believe that sweep first ball. If I was Carberry i'd be thinking whats the point. Bates must be ****ing himself.