Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

Looks like Hampshire heading for win - is it too late to save our County Championship season?

I reckon we'll stay up.

I hope so. Unfortunately is meant to rain most of tomorrow. Also out of our last 4 games we've got Durham away (always tricky) and Yorkshire at home (almost unbeatable at the moment) On the plus side we seem to be hitting some form!

I hope so. Unfortunately is meant to rain most of tomorrow. Also out of our last 4 games we've got Durham away (always tricky) and Yorkshire at home (almost unbeatable at the moment) On the plus side we seem to be hitting some form!

Radio Solent said at 6pm that we should be clear of rain from 1pm onwards, if not earlier. Should be fine though we could have declared earlier IMO

All over - win by 227 runs!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO38128

Great win, playing some of the younger players is working. I'd bring in Weatherall or Alsop for Smith next game to further strengthen the batting. Vince finally found form when building a quick lead second knock - will that bolster his confidence for the rest of our 4 day campaign?

Ryan McLaren signed to replace Bird, not as good a bowler but will further reinforce the batting.

Great form from Mason Crane, has given everyone a lift.

McLaren's bowling has improved in recent years, by all accounts, hence him getting into the South Africa test side. He's also a handy batsman, so should give us a bit more lower-order solidity, rather than knowing that we'd be bowling pretty soon once the 7th wicket went down.

We've won two games today, as we've been awarded the win from the abandoned Glamorgan RLODC game as well :o

That was the only correct decision there was really - even D/L had us winning the game at the time. Good to see though.

taken us a while and Crane seems to be the decisive factor with Fidel back we can hopefully push on now.

So what do we reckon, 2 more wins for a great escape ?

Dont really fancy our chances to win any of these

Durham v Hampshire

Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

Wed Sep 9 - Sat Sep 12

Somerset v Hampshire

County Ground, Taunton

Mon Sep 14 - Thu Sep 17

Hampshire v Yorkshire

The Rose Bowl, Southampton

Tue Sep 22 - Fri Sep 25

Nottinghamshire v Hampshire

Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Dont really fancy our chances to win any of these

Durham v Hampshire

Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

Wed Sep 9 - Sat Sep 12

Somerset v Hampshire

County Ground, Taunton

Mon Sep 14 - Thu Sep 17

Hampshire v Yorkshire

The Rose Bowl, Southampton

Tue Sep 22 - Fri Sep 25

Nottinghamshire v Hampshire

Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Looks tough. On the positive side I guess Somerset are no great Shakes. Yorkshire will have won the league by then therefore will not be trying and we've Notts at Fortress Ageas Bowl (1 win in 7).

Ervine playing in 2nd Eleven game at Ageas Bowl today. Just come in and 3 not out at Lunch

Update, 61 not out at present

Just got his 100 in 104 balls. Game finished. Only a friendly among younger players but good to see he appears to be ready to come back into the first team. Today followed a good net on Sunday.

Edited by Weston Saint

Ervine playing in 2nd Eleven game at Ageas Bowl today. Just come in and 3 not out at Lunch

Update, 61 not out at present

Just got his 100 in 104 balls. Game finished. Only a friendly among younger players but good to see he appears to be ready to come back into the first team. Today followed a good net on Sunday.

We have really missed him recently

94 an over!! :scared: Like to see what Duckworth Lewis makes of a score like that. ;)

Bad light should see us through easily.

Too many beers...but glad I got my Finals day tickets early again ;) Was a brilliant day out last year despite our tame exit in the semis. Can only do better this year!

Hants v. Lancs

Northants v. Warks

Strangely, the order of games is still to be determined. Why not from the draw itself? Hants have played their semi-finals as the 2nd match in each of the last 4 finals days (2011-2014), only in 2010 was their semi-final the first match. I would guess playing in the 1st semi-final is an advantage for the winning team, with more time to rest before the final.

My money is on Hants again playing in the second semi-final.

2nd Semi it is. Think it is all about logistics. Hampshire have furthest to travel so given more time.

Impossible to think we could travel up on the Friday, obviously...

Basically, they've decided that because Warwickshire (not going to call them Birmingham, **** off franchising) are in one of the semi-finals, they'll try to string it out as long as possible for the local interest, to keep anyone who's local in the ground from start to finish. They'll be ****ed if Warwickshire get smashed in the semi-final, though.

Since 2010 only one winner of the 2nd semi-final (Hants 2012) has won the final. Edgbaston is fairly central, so travel distance shouldn't determine the order of the semis. In fairness it should be done by random draw.

Great achivement to have gotten there six years in a row, despite this year's four day struggles. Hopefully the momentum carries forward in all forms with Edwards and Crane carving through four day line ups.

Agree on being second again and that it should be drawn but as Steve says, could backfire. Look, Hants have just got to play 100 times better than last year's SF and they could be too strong for Lancs. Buttler is dangerous but out of nick so no width at all to him.

One thing that strikes me though is the ECB's scheduling. We've just had a round of 4 day games, then immediately T20 Q-Fs and then today key One Day Cup games. Way to go on the scheduling yet again with English domestic scheduling. Do the counties and the ECB actually want players to improve their skills and sustain them across the formats? Would still like to see 3 divisions for 4 day competition to get the intensity needed for the top level.

Agree with the above, we will need to do much better than last year and in our present form, we should do. Dont forget Wood who was literally involved in everything at the QF when we bowled: took both wickets through his bowling and then a brilliant run out. Then was involved in the near-catch / facial smash incident which brought the sides off for bad light.

After the way we batted we absolutely deserved to win, but it did not stop some sour grapes from Mitchell, the Worcs captain, who wondered to the BBC: "Maybe it was a tactical drop onto his nose by Woody?" FFS

One thing that strikes me though is the ECB's scheduling. We've just had a round of 4 day games, then immediately T20 Q-Fs and then today key One Day Cup games. Way to go on the scheduling yet again with English domestic scheduling. Do the counties and the ECB actually want players to improve their skills and sustain them across the formats? Would still like to see 3 divisions for 4 day competition to get the intensity needed for the top level.

The scheduling is ridiculous, and the ECB never even come close to getting it right.

I'd go along with your idea of three divisions for the County Championship with two-up, two-down through the three divisions, but I'd go one step further and make them 5-day games of 90 overs per day, replicating Test match conditions. That would mean a possible 450 overs in a game compared to 384, which would obviously give greater opportunity for positive results in games affected by bad weather.

Bring the T20 competition back to a 6-week block in the middle of June and July - this will ensure the players aren't chopping and changing playing formats every few days, we've had situations this year where teams have actually played all three formats in the space of a week, FFS :lol:

Having the T20 group stage in a block also ensures that any overseas players recruited are generally available for the whole competition, rather than popping in for 3 or 4 games then buggering off, forcing the county to sign another player for the rest of the competition.

The 50-over competition is probably fine in terms of the format, but perhaps have half of the group stage before the T20 kicks off, with the rest afterwards, so there's only one limited-overs format in play at any one time.