Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

One of the problems facing clubs, particularly Hampshire, is the lack of concentration in building an innings in the 4 day game and to a certain extent the 50 over format.

There seems a tendency of late for players to go for quick runs and never mind they get out to a bad shot. When players come up against better bowlers like we have in the 1st division the mind set cannot cope. That has been our problem until recently.

The Test series against Australia proved the point. Australia were so intent on playing their shots that they lost the art of building an innings and lost a series they were strong favourites to win by a street. The Hampshire team have noticed and taken that on board. As a result our performances have improved of late. Unfortunately it might be too late for this season but sets next on a firm basis.

There are one or two players in the first team squad who are blocking the way for useful younger players who are now knocking on the door. I will not name either sets of players but the club are aware and more will be revealed when the release information is published by the club.

We are trying to sign McLaren on a 2 or 3 year contract. It is not a done deal but positive vibes so far. If he does sign it will be as a Kolpac. We are also talking to Edwards but may face competition from other clubs. Nothing was mentioned about the “overseas” possibility next season but it is likely to be a bowler.

The club are very impressed with Stevenson and he is bowling at about 83mph and getting the ball to go both ways. They expect his speed to increase as he develops. An exciting find.

Watson is a possibility. He has gone home to think about it. However he will only be used for white ball cricket.

I know a lot more about the Dawson affair now. I will not repeat it but let us just say it had the desired effect and I can see why the coach took the decisions he did.

There is nothing above that is not readily available from various outlets so I am not breaching any confidences. It has been gleaned from frank talks with the Chairman, Coaches and Players by me and other friends over the last week. They are all refreshingly honest and understand the issues and what needs to be done to arrest a very poor season in red ball cricket.

One of the problems facing clubs, particularly Hampshire, is the lack of concentration in building an innings in the 4 day game and to a certain extent the 50 over format.

There seems a tendency of late for players to go for quick runs and never mind they get out to a bad shot. When players come up against better bowlers like we have in the 1st division the mind set cannot cope. That has been our problem until recently.

The Test series against Australia proved the point. Australia were so intent on playing their shots that they lost the art of building an innings and lost a series they were strong favourites to win by a street. The Hampshire team have noticed and taken that on board. As a result our performances have improved of late. Unfortunately it might be too late for this season but sets next on a firm basis.

There are one or two players in the first team squad who are blocking the way for useful younger players who are now knocking on the door. I will not name either sets of players but the club are aware and more will be revealed when the release information is published by the club.

We are trying to sign McLaren on a 2 or 3 year contract. It is not a done deal but positive vibes so far. If he does sign it will be as a Kolpac. We are also talking to Edwards but may face competition from other clubs. Nothing was mentioned about the “overseas” possibility next season but it is likely to be a bowler.

The club are very impressed with Stevenson and he is bowling at about 83mph and getting the ball to go both ways. They expect his speed to increase as he develops. An exciting find.

Watson is a possibility. He has gone home to think about it. However he will only be used for white ball cricket.

I know a lot more about the Dawson affair now. I will not repeat it but let us just say it had the desired effect and I can see why the coach took the decisions he did.

There is nothing above that is not readily available from various outlets so I am not breaching any confidences. It has been gleaned from frank talks with the Chairman, Coaches and Players by me and other friends over the last week. They are all refreshingly honest and understand the issues and what needs to be done to arrest a very poor season in red ball cricket.

Thanks for posting always good to get your views from close quarters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good win. Shame about his hamstring injury. I do not know how bad it is at the present but he is a big doubt for Somerset next Wednesday. Still we will have Tomlinson, Briggs and Crane available to us.

Tomlinson has been offered a lead bowling coaching role with Hampshire over the winter and is delighted. He has a year left on his contract but I can see him moving more to coaching with Topley coming in.

Nothing more on having Edwards next season. I suppose it depends on what division we are in for the clubs point of view

Rumour that Adams will not be playing next year. I was with his Dad for the early part of the England Australia game but the rumour came later so I did not get chance to ask him

Another rumour (Echo) doing the rounds is that Watson might be are overseas next year. Wait to see on that one but it might make sense. He is still a class player.

Today I spoke with the person allegedly attributed with the comment about Adams, Kevin James on Solent. He said someone had misunderstood his comment and he has no idea about Adams other than he, Kevin James, expressed the view that he could not see him taking back the captaincy. So no basis for the comment I made for the rumour in my original post.

The declaration now looks too generous - it was all a bit too easy for Yorkshire.

To honest if you are getting Yorkshire to forfeit an innings (bear in mind they didn't need to) they are only going to do it if there is a realistic chance they could win, if we sent them 360 in 70 overs they probably would have not agreed to forfeit.. I think the right decision was made by both teams, we just weren't good enough.

The thinking behind this was that Dale did not want to rely on the weather in Nottingham and saw a chance of a result here. He discussed it with Yorkshire who wanted a smaller total to go for. Obviously we wanted a bigger total to leave them but negotiations were stacked in Yorkshire favour and eventually the declaration just before play started was agreed.

Although we got a good start the wicket was always favoured the batting side and so it proved despite good bowling from Hampshire.

The first innings against Somerset was the final nail in the coffin. Get an extra 3 or 4 batting points there, and a desperate declaration today wouldn't have been necessary: instead get a couple more bowling points today, along with a draw, and we're looking at around an extra 10 or 11 points over the last 2 matches, and everything to play for in the final round of matches. Oh well, shit happens.

298/8 at close. Shame bad light came into play as we were well on top and may well have finished up with another 25-30 runs. Still, right back in the game now. Good to see some fight if nothing more

This. As posted above, its the hope that kills you. Look dead and buried at 89/5 and then this!

So a deficit of 14 on the first innings, better than it looked at one point but we still need to bowl them out cheaply and knock off the difference. Add to that that Sussex still have to lose.....far fetched scenario all in all. I hope that we won't regret the attempt at a result against Yorkshire, although it's been a poor season all round and that decision was only made necessary by previous poor results anyway.

I hope that we won't regret the attempt at a result against Yorkshire, although it's been a poor season all round and that decision was only made necessary by previous poor results anyway.

Hopefully, for the last time.

If we hadn't made the arrangement with Yorkshire, we could have picked up a further maximum 7 points (2 bowling and 5 for the draw). We would still be 7 points behind Sussex as it now stands, so the situation would be exactly the same. We must win and Sussex must lose.

If we had beaten Yorks and got the 16 points, we would have been level with Sussex before this game and ahead of them on countback.

There are plenty of "sticks" to use on the management this season, but that decision is not one of them.

Hopefully, for the last time.

If we hadn't made the arrangement with Yorkshire, we could have picked up a further maximum 7 points (2 bowling and 5 for the draw). We would still be 7 points behind Sussex as it now stands, so the situation would be exactly the same. We must win and Sussex must lose.

If we had beaten Yorks and got the 16 points, we would have been level with Sussex before this game and ahead of them on countback.

There are plenty of "sticks" to use on the management this season, but that decision is not one of them.

Ah but no, all would change if we won and they drew I think. If we should win and they only draw then we advance by 11 points compared to them. If we'd got those theoretical extra 7 against Yorks then a win for us and a draw for them would see us above them I think. I doubt that we'll win anyway so it will all become academic. I supported that decision anyway and am certainly not looking to beat anyone with it.

Ah but no, all would change if we won and they drew I think. If we should win and they only draw then we advance by 11 points compared to them. If we'd got those theoretical extra 7 against Yorks then a win for us and a draw for them would see us above them I think. I doubt that we'll win anyway so it will all become academic. I supported that decision anyway and am certainly not looking to beat anyone with it.

Correct. If we'd taken the draw against Yorks and now end up beating Notts, then Sussex would need to beat Yorks instead of only needing a draw. But all easy in hindsight.

Correct. If we'd taken the draw against Yorks and now end up beating Notts, then Sussex would need to beat Yorks instead of only needing a draw. But all easy in hindsight.

And with Hants now in an excellent looking position, unless Notts have a big tail wag again, that bad bargain against Yorks is going to be churned up time and time again this winter. It leaves Sussex just needing to straight bat their way to a draw which they probably will, being under no pressure whatsoever. We put it all on red and it came up black.

Edited by Window Cleaner