Kevin Pietersen - back for England or not?

angelman

He has just passed 300no for Surrey vs Leicester (with the next highest scorer getting 30, and Leics 1st innings being 292).

Would you take him back into the England squad or not? He has done something that has surprised me in forgoing the IPL to play county cricket, which would be the only way he would get back into the national squad. I understood why he was dropped, in that however good he was, a disruptive influence in the changing room isn't good. But the changing room has nothing to loose as we are really poor at the moment. But would bringing him back in cause more problems?

England are crap, he is would clearly make us better

no brainer, he should be back in.

All the other stuff is just guff and face saving from those in charge not wanting to back down.

other sportsman have done far far worse and still idolised by fans

As Hatch rightly says, one (outrageously good as it seems to have been) innings against a team who haven't won a game for more than two years shouldn't mean an automatic recall. The middle order where he'd fit in is also the one part of the current Test team that doesn't really need fixing.

I'd hope to see him back in the ODI and T20 teams where he would clearly make a difference, but I wouldn't want to drop any of Ballance, Bell or Root to bring him back into the Test side.

OK - I take it that his opposition might not be the best and he scored a run or two against the Uni boys and a decent Big Bash. But his skill level is not in question, just that he hadn't played 4 (or 5) day cricket for a long time, even if it is against players who aren't the best in the world.

Me, I'm still in 2 minds. Was very anti, but as I say, not going to IPL is a good move. I take it that one might not want to drop Ballance, Bell or Root, but if FIGJAM is the best player that we have, then surely it would be a question of fitting others around him, rather than him around others.

KP does seem a bit of a **** but not playing in IPL and proving he can score runs in County game as he was advised. Does that and then to blow him out is poor show

Maybe. But he was never dropped because people thought he couldn't bat.

The advice to get county runs under his belt was poor/misleading advice because it was never going to make any difference. That was a poor show.

The advice to get county runs under his belt was poor/misleading advice because it was never going to make any difference. That was a poor show.

I suspect that advice was given by people who weren't in the position to be making promises to him.

I suspect that advice was given by people who weren't in the position to be making promises to him.

It was Colin Graves. Interesting column from KP

...I'm afraid, as everyone can clearly see, this is the biggest load of rubbish. I had two phone conversations with Colin Graves and he was crystal clear in saying I had to get a county, score runs and that there was a clean slate. He said that when he comes in as chairman he wants the best players playing for England. He told me that on the phone in two separate conversations. He also repeated it to national newspapers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevinpietersen/11600580/Kevin-Pietersen-My-fury-at-England-deceit.html

Edited by whelk