Tyres

Dog

What do you use?

I am just about to stick my 3rd set of Pirelli tyres on my cars front wheels which is only 7 months old.

I know Pirellis are soft and stick to the road like sh!t on a stick, but any other high performance tyres that will last a bit longer?

P Zero's on the F-car

Michelin Synchromes on the mrs 4x4

Goodyears on the BM

Try tyreshopper.co.uk or blackcircles.com for good deals on tyres. They deliver to local tyre fitters and can save you quite a bit of cash.

Continental used to do an Eco Contact (had them on my old BM) which lasted nearly 20,000 miles, they were really hard wearing, but going round a bend at more than 10mph was hair raising!

Ultimately it depends on what you want out of the tyre - performance vs economy (green credentials) vs a good compromise

What do you use?

I am just about to stick my 3rd set of Pirelli tyres on my cars front wheels which is only 7 months old.

I know Pirellis are soft and stick to the road like sh!t on a stick, but any other high performance tyres that will last a bit longer?

Interesting point. I've owned two SAAB 900s they were Pirelli P600 shod IIRC. One time on the Turbo I changed to Michelins after getting some advice. I couldn't wait for them to wear out, as the car was simply awful with them. Back to Pirellis and the Turbo was its old scintillating self again. Sometimes one shouldn't play about with original fitment.

My Tipo has some odd combination of cheap and cheerful tyres that refuse to wear out and do just fine. The VFR has Dunlop 207ZRs, and bloody expensive they are too. The chicken strips are finally disappearing.

I ran Michelin Pilot Sport IIs on my R26 for 20,000 miles and they were brilliant grip-wise but were really noisy on the road. I'm testing some Nexen N6000s on there now. They were supposed to be a stop-gap but they actually perform as well, wet or dry, and are far, far quieter. They do seem to be wearing more rapidly than the Michelins though. I can't imagine they'll see 20,000 miles, more like 10,0000 max.

Absolutely no contest...Michelin.

Ask any serious driver.

You pays your money..you takes your choice, but you get what you pay for!

Ps. fit the new ones on the back...move the backs to the front.......it works.

Ask any serious driver.

You cannot possibly say that, without question, as it depends what car they are going on and what conditions. Some tyres respond better in the summer / winter or the wet/dry.

Perhaps this would be a good feature for Top Gear - what is the best performance tyre?

It beats watching a rather dull celebrity drive a crap car round an airfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask any serious driver.

Even on a front wheel drive car?

Kumho 18" 225/40, £80 each, best value I could find by some distance.

I tried Michelin ones the first time I needed to replace the tyres, £160 a pop and they lasted about 6 months.

Where from?

I got charged £76 each for some 16" Arrowspeed nasties

Kumho 18" 225/40, £80 each, best value I could find by some distance.

I tried Michelin ones the first time I needed to replace the tyres, £160 a pop and they lasted about 6 months.

I have tried most over my many years of driving(to many?!)

Kumho are terrific tyres IMO. KU31 = superb.

Try mytyres.

Also independent tyre reviews,see Pistonheads tyre reviews

Edited by surrey1saint

• 1 month later...
Of all places Hendy's in Winchester were great. Promised to beat ANY price including micheldever!! And they had them in stock. 225 45 18 Bridgestones for RX8. Free tracking and loads of advice. Superb

Must admit I have always used Micheldever Tyres for the value and convienience but the webaddress put up by Mr Bognor definitely were cheaper.

On my wife's Cooper S we have had Dunlop run flats and have now changed to Pirelli run flats mainly because of the huge price differential. However the Dunlops lasted longer around 15,000miles and the Pirellis we have had some issues with uneven wear despite alignment checks and they don't seem to last as long.

TBH I find the whole tyre thing a bit of a minefield and amazed that a set of tyres cannot easily last 25,000 miles + as they use to on my Triumph 1300.

• 1 year later...

Ask any serious driver.

This is true, and as Dog asked...... yes, even on a front wheel drive car.

You are also better off with newer tyres on the back from a safety point of view.

If a front tyre blows, you still have some control. If a rear tyre blows you have zero control.

The 'best' tyre is dependent on many factors.

I currently deliver several tonnes of tyres to fitters all over the south every day.

If you let me know your vehicle and requirements I'll do a straw poll of the fitters I see and get back to you.

Edited by Block 5

This is true, and as Dog asked...... yes, even on a front wheel drive car.

You are also better off with newer tyres on the back from a safety point of view.

If a front tyre blows, you still have some control. If a rear tyre blows you have zero control.

I always put new tyres on the front and move the old fronts to the back. That's the way it's done. Better road grip when cornering.

I created a thread on here a while back about my Pirelli p zeros wearing down too quickly. Interesting that others have commented that they aren't made to last. Not getting a year out of mine on my Octavia.

Not that I can work out from the above posts what I should actually get instead with so many different opinions. Simply want tyres that last, screw the other factors as it's a work vehicle. EDIT: After flashbacks of sliding all over the place during the ice/snow last winter grip is actually a very important factor too! I had fiat puntos and corsas getting up hills I couldn't even start to get up!

I created a thread on here a while back about my Pirelli p zeros wearing down too quickly. Interesting that others have commented that they aren't made to last. Not getting a year out of mine on my Octavia.

Not that I can work out from the above posts what I should actually get instead with so many different opinions. Simply want tyres that last, screw the other factors as it's a work vehicle. EDIT: After flashbacks of sliding all over the place during the ice/snow last winter grip is actually a very important factor too! I had fiat puntos and corsas getting up hills I couldn't even start to get up!

It's a big car heavy car with wide tyres. Light small cars with narrower tyres always driver better in the snow. I had the same problem.

• 1 month later...
It's a big car heavy car with wide tyres. Light small cars with narrower tyres always driver better in the snow. I had the same problem.

After 5 months I am shortly going to have to replace my front tyres yet again... Looking at Michelin Ps3's and was wondering if anyones experienced these? Are they going to be better than the Pirelli P Zeros come winter time? Im dreading working on the road in the snow again.

Christchurch Tyres are big into Kumho, if you are ever down that way. They are well priced, quick and friendly and no I have no connection to them save for being a repeat customer. Had Kumho on the rears of my e39 530d touring and they were rubbish. Worse than the Vredestein that I had on previously, which while not bad picked up every stone around and punctured so damned easily. Anyway, Kumho as a stop gap are on the front, and Conti Sports on the rear and they are much better - at least I don't spin the wheels every other second.

Best tyre I ever did have was from Michelin on my e36. Fronts did near 36k and the rears did 20k.

I knew a guy who worked for Michelin for 30 years. In all the tests they did having more grip at the rear (eg newest tyres at back) gave the best handling and lap times - irrespective of fwd, rwd or 4x4. That said for normal motoring, school run, trip to Tesco etc grip on the driving wheels is better.