What do you want?

Legod Second Coming

Years ago, I would have said that this club needed to invest in playing talent. I cried out for a Keeganesque signing. A whopping name - massive.

Bring me a Beckham I cried. Over and over.

Spunk money away on the best names on the highest salaries.

What a fecking idiot I was (still am, sure, mock me).

What the feck would I want to support propping up the ludicrous modern footballer's wages for? Perpetuating the myth of SKY's glamarous Premiership - with all its drama and excitement. Drama and excitement?? My ass. What a mug. I'm cancelling my subscription as soon as the cricket is over.

Because finally, finally, finally. King Kev has proved it.

Money doesn't buy you the one thing that I really want to see in my team.

A little bit of 'class'.

Ahsley with all his cash is like the rest of the Premiership and the new owners. Easy come, easy go money without any roots in what local football clubs are about.

They're about local people, supporting local teams, ideally filled with local players.

Feck the Chairman. I give not one hoot who he is nor where he came from.

At last, I can look out on the pitch and see players playing for their shirts, their club - my club. And players like Gillet, Surman, White, James, McGoldrick - my players. Giving 100% for my team. Well, thank the Lord for that - at last.

Bring it on I say. And if we lose doing it, so be it. At least I feel some pride again.

Brave post. Be prepared.

Saying that, I constantly have arguments with a couple of friends regarding Saints. They want the moon on the stick and expect Saints to win week in, week out. They're just not being realistic IMO. Yes I want Saints to win too but my expectations aren't as lofty as theirs.

Due to the way we've been playing they now think this Saints team is no different to last year's! But I disagree. Give me this team over last year's any day of the week.

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Years ago, I would have said that this club needed to invest in playing talent. I cried out for a Keeganesque signing. A whopping name - massive.

What the feck would I want to support propping up the ludicrous modern footballer's wages for? Perpetuating the myth of SKY's glamarous Premiership - with all its drama and excitement. Drama and excitement?? My ass. What a mug. I'm cancelling my subscription as soon as the cricket is over.

A little bit of 'class'.

Ahsley with all his cash is like the rest of the Premiership and the new owners. Easy come, easy go money without any roots in what local football clubs are about.

They're about local people, supporting local teams, ideally filled with local players.

At last, I can look out on the pitch and see players playing for their shirts, their club - my club. And players like Gillet, Surman, White, James, McGoldrick - my players. Giving 100% for my team. Well, thank the Lord for that - at last.

Bring it on I say. And if we lose doing it, so be it. At least I feel some pride again.

Great post!!!

Do you know, I was just discussing the very same thing with my better haf. Football officially died - at least at Premiership level - for me last night; watching Sky Sports News creaming their pants over voyeuristic images of Berbatov at Man Utd and ticker tape news of Robinho going to Man City for £32.5M (what would persuade anyone to swap Madrid for Moss side? Ohhhhhhh yes.....) made me sick to the core. Premiership football is not only out of touch with the average fan, it's positively stratospheric in its distance from ordinary supporters. How can they have any affinity with 'their' team? The money is obscene, end of. Nothing can justify it, nothing.

Give me local lads who give their all for Saints any day of the week. If we finish bottom with 3 points, at least they will be my team, and will have played with effort and heart. That will do me.

A little bit of 'class'.

=D>

this is supposed to be a clappy smiley thingy

Edited by bridge too far
Fruitin' smileys still not working

Isn't it somewhat scary, that suddenly we're sort of looking at Rupert as the messiah, the stalking horse who with his revolutionary concept returns our club to it's true roots and starts a snowball that will roll throughout world football, backed by his sidekick Michel Platini.

sh*t how did Scooby hijack my account:-)

But actually you have a point I made some time ago and which the media is slowly starting to pick up on. Money is the band wagon, when you have it you don't want change, when you don't have it you want it OR you want change. If you don't have the DREAM of improving yourself then the whole concept of football and the pyramid structure just crashes and burns.

Capitalism is the problem and Communism isn't the answer. Maybe we will learn to be a happy club with pride in our own players. Unfortunately while we have the burden of the mortgage on SMS, we can't afford to dream of a "new way", we can only afford to be capitalists

I would rather go down playing the type of football we are now playing wth the kids than have another season like last year. I don't care if that makes me idiotic, all I know is that I have felt a lot more proud these last few games than I ever was last year. Even on Saturday I didn't feel frustrated that we lost in the same way. We didn't give up, we just had an off day.

A little bit of 'class'.

UNBELIEVABLE! So, I take it that this is a 'massive' apology, in a very roundabout way, for all that abuse you gave me last season for saying just about this exact same thing! Except, I threw in a few words like 'tactics' and you went mental at me and couldn't get to grips with 'football' and kept pretending to fall asleep!

Thanks, Apology accepted!

Isn't it somewhat scary, that suddenly we're sort of looking at Rupert as the messiah, the stalking horse who with his revolutionary concept returns our club to it's true roots and starts a snowball that will roll throughout world football, backed by his sidekick Michel Platini.

sh*t how did Scooby hijack my account:-)

But actually you have a point I made some time ago and which the media is slowly starting to pick up on. Money is the band wagon, when you have it you don't want change, when you don't have it you want it OR you want change. If you don't have the DREAM of improving yourself then the whole concept of football and the pyramid structure just crashes and burns.

Capitalism is the problem and Communism isn't the answer. Maybe we will learn to be a happy club with pride in our own players. Unfortunately while we have the burden of the mortgage on SMS, we can't afford to dream of a "new way", we can only afford to be capitalists

Years ago Phil, a friend asked me if I would want to win a million on the lottery. I told him I would rather earn it, if that were the choice.

And that's how I feel now. If this team could achieve just some minor success, it would mean more to me than an oligarch-sourced Champions League trophy. Really it would. I'd rather win a Johnsons Paint trophy we earned!

UNBELIEVABLE! So, I take it that this is a 'massive' apology, in a very roundabout way, for all that abuse you gave me last season for saying just about this exact same thing! Except, I threw in a few words like 'tactics' and you went mental at me and couldn't get to grips with 'football' and kept pretending to fall asleep!

Thanks, Apology accepted!

LOL, we are all entitled to grow up and see the light friend! ;)

Do you know, I was just discussing the very same thing with my better haf. Football officially died - at least at Premiership level - for me last night; watching Sky Sports News creaming their pants over voyeuristic images of Berbatov at Man Utd and ticker tape news of Robinho going to Man City for £32.5M (what would persuade anyone to swap Madrid for Moss side? Ohhhhhhh yes.....) made me sick to the core. Premiership football is not only out of touch with the average fan, it's positively stratospheric in its distance from ordinary supporters. How can they have any affinity with 'their' team? The money is obscene, end of. Nothing can justify it, nothing.

Give me local lads who give their all for Saints any day of the week. If we finish bottom with 3 points, at least they will be my team, and will have played with effort and heart. That will do me.

I had a long 'discussion' with a chelsea fan today and they were so blinkered it was unbelievable.

They thought Sheva was a good buy and still thought it was down to injuries he didnt play. Spending anywhere between £8m - £16m on bit part players is seen as the norm at most Premiership clubs.

He also made a point that in every league 'the cream rises to the top'. Which I kindly explained yes it does when you millions pumped into the team.

Seems like some fans of the 'Big 4' are definitely out of touch.

Years ago Phil, a friend asked me if I would want to win a million on the lottery. I told him I would rather earn it, if that were the choice.

And that's how I feel now. If this team could achieve just some minor success, it would mean more to me than an oligarch-sourced Champions League trophy. Really it would. I'd rather win a Johnsons Paint trophy we earned!

I agree. It's because then it will be ours and there's no disputing that we deserve it.

Stirring sentiments and I know where you are coming from but......

Lallana puts in a decent 3 months and he will go in January. Surman was being discussed with Reading without him even knowing. Unfortunately football clubs are now run or owned by men who's are driven first and foremost by finance and there appears to be no going back. Unfortunately.

Stirring sentiments and I know where you are coming from but......

Lallana puts in a decent 3 months and he will go in January. Surman was being discussed with Reading without him even knowing. Unfortunately football clubs are now run or owned by men who's are driven first and foremost by finance and there appears to be no going back. Unfortunately.

Friend, I want to disagree.

You want to know where money gets you??

Shooting your 15 year old daughter, your wife and yourself because you cannot face the humiliation of losing it all??

How, tragically, tragically sad. Really, truly.

Is this how we now measure the value of human life?

Who says football has to be this way? Who says life has to be this way?

Not me, not anymore.

As I wrote on the 'How come' thread:

... any success that has been bankrolled by outside investment is very hollow to me... football has been ruined by money and I sincerely do not want Saints to become a part of something I strongly disagree with... that would be a moral dilemma I would rather not have to deal with.

The current set-up is as near as I've become to beign 'happy' with things, in terms of promoting young players from within, in a league that isn't awash with investment, for years. Hopefully we'll achieve something with them (over the coming years), even if it's just the ability to compete in the Championship. Ideally, the Premiership, or certainly top clubs with huge investment, will bugger off and leave the rest of us to compete for a title that means something if you win it, and not just having a big fat cheque book.

I had a long 'discussion' with a chelsea fan today and they were so blinkered it was unbelievable.

They thought Sheva was a good buy and still thought it was down to injuries he didnt play. Spending anywhere between £8m - £16m on bit part players is seen as the norm at most Premiership clubs.

He also made a point that in every league 'the cream rises to the top'. Which I kindly explained yes it does when you millions pumped into the team.

Seems like some fans of the 'Big 4' are definitely out of touch.

In fairness, some fans at most clubs are out of touch, even ours. Expectations rising and falling like a double tide on the Solent. Forget the politics. Forget the multi-millionaires. Forget the big boys. Just go wth your kid on a Saturday and enjoy your team - "our" team.

A little bit of 'class'.

Nice post - most will agree.

But then I suspect the minute Lowe sells one or two of our best youngsters to raise cash thus upsetting the balance and team spirit of the side, there will be a somewhat more negative vibe on this forum. Of course this may never happen - I truly hope not, because we need consistency - this club needs consistency.

The kids - the new generation of supporters - need consistent heroes...not go out and buy a Saints shirt with Sneiderman or Surman or Gasmi on the back, only to see their hero sold on to a 'bigger' club. If Lowe REALLY wants to turn back time and take us back to a time when agents didn't rule the roost, then he needs to develop a backbone and keep this team together as long as possible.

Driving home from work, I was listening to Radio 5. The man who proposed the setting up of the Premiership was being asked for his views on the state of football and whether he felt guilty for the way things are now.

He said that, whilst his ideas for the set-up of the Premiership were accepted and implemented, he was shown the door when he warned of the likely 'immorality' once the effects of big money and Sky were realised.

I agree in principle but facts are when we see young players fighting for our team the person who runs our club just see's assets increasing in value.

Gillet, Surman, White, James, McGoldrick... would all leave if another club show them the money. Most of OUR young players have just been bought or poached from some other club and are just furthering their careers to earn more £££££'s.

If we can just stop fighting each other and focus on supporting the players on the pitch (rather than the boardroom) then the better we'll all be for it.

I'm not asking for happy clappy positivity, just a realisation that, in most cases, people are trying their best - both on the pitch and in the boardroom.

Guest Hacienda

I've just the exact same conversation with a mate of mine who is a Wolves season ticket holder.

We share your view.

Guest Hacienda
I agree in principle but facts are when we see young players fighting for our team the person who runs our club just see's assets increasing in value.

Sadly I also share that view.

A little bit of 'class'.

http://offthepost.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/football-videos-mike-ashley-downs-his-pint-at-the-emirates/

Nice post - most will agree.

But then I suspect the minute Lowe sells one or two of our best youngsters to raise cash thus upsetting the balance and team spirit of the side, there will be a somewhat more negative vibe on this forum. Of course this may never happen - I truly hope not, because we need consistency - this club needs consistency.

The kids - the new generation of supporters - need consistent heroes...not go out and buy a Saints shirt with Sneiderman or Surman or Gasmi on the back, only to see their hero sold on to a 'bigger' club. If Lowe REALLY wants to turn back time and take us back to a time when agents didn't rule the roost, then he needs to develop a backbone and keep this team together as long as possible.

Can't disagree with anything you say here, but if the well thought out post on player trading and finances is anything to go by, there's not much scope for wage reduction in future so players are gonna have to be sold. It sucks, but that's probably how it's gonna be.

A little bit of 'class'.

A great post and I echo its sentiments. Having supported Saints since a nipper (remember the Bitterne Nomads playing down Cutbush Lane) I'll carry on supporting them long after RL et al are long gone (if I live that long ;-) )

A little bit of 'class'.

Good post, unfortunately my local team is Blackfield and Langley though I'd imagine it's filled with local players. Guess I'll need to support them now, least the Totton lot get a trip out to wembley every once in a while....

Just to throw in something to think about, I have to say that I can't remember too many of us moaning about the "state of the Premiership" when we were eating at the top table, playing to full houses and signing players from lower league teams (we even stole a number of youngsters from other teams academies!!!).

I have to agree that things have got even worse since we departed from the top flight, but it does seem as though a few years in the lower echelons has certainly made alot more of us aware of just how out of kilter the game currently is.

Just to throw in something to think about, I have to say that I can't remember too many of us moaning about the "state of the Premiership" when we were eating at the top table, playing to full houses and signing players from lower league teams (we even stole a number of youngsters from other teams academies!!!).

I have to agree that things have got even worse since we departed from the top flight, but it does seem as though a few years in the lower echelons has certainly made alot more of us aware of just how out of kilter the game currently is.

Exactly, we didn't really care then and I doubt the majority would care if we got taken over by some mega rich owner either.

You could apply the logic to supporting your proper 'local' side and for many it's probably non league - I'm sure many of their supporters would welcome us. The irony of Le God's Second Coming is that whilst lauding local players the 1st Le God was anything but local (oh and don't you also come from IOW?).

I'm playing devil's advocate here but if you followed this argument to it's logical conclusion then most of us would be watching amateur football.

True.

But it's once you're out of rehab that you realise what a mess you made of your life. Not when you're sky high on coke, hookers and champagne...

Exactly, we didn't really care then and I doubt the majority would care if we got taken over by some mega rich owner either.

You could apply the logic to supporting your proper 'local' side and for many it's probably non league - I'm sure many of their supporters would welcome us. The irony of Le God's Second Coming is that whilst lauding local players the 1st Le God was anything but local (oh and don't you also come from IOW?).

I'm playing devil's advocate here but if you followed this argument to it's logical conclusion then most of us would be watching amateur football.

Isle of Wight?? I'm not married to my sister thanks.!! ;)

I come from Petersfield and proud of it! Played football with the current Sheffield United Chief Exec. He at centre-half, me at left midfield... heady days.

And yes, my local club was Pompey, where I could often be found when Saints were away, cheering on my local (lower division!!!) club with my mates who supported their real local club. But be reasonable. You wouldn't inflict that on your dog would you???

A little bit of 'class'.

Aye you being paid by Lowe to spout spin 24/7 ???

Gillet, Surman, White, James, McGoldrick... would all leave if another club show them the money. Most of OUR young players have just been bought or poached from some other club and are just furthering their careers to earn more £££££'s.

Top notch post. Let's drop this faux-morality attitude. Look at the way Davies changed his tune, and you cant have a home-baked team when the twaat at the top only gives a shiny one about his asset value.

Aye you being paid by Lowe to spout spin 24/7 ???

Spin? That's up there with cash.

Why did we bail out housebuilders today??? I'll tell you why. Because housebuilders have convinced the world that rising house prices are good. Good for whom??? For them, of course!! For them!!!

Falling house prices bad, very bad. For whom??

Say you're buying your first house - falling prices = good.

You're trading up the ladder - falling prices = good.

You're trading down - falling prices = bad.

You just intend to keep living where you are and paying your mortgage - falling prices matters not one jot. So for one in four people it might be bad.

But here we are. Why? Spin. The world is full of it.

All I do is tell you what I think. But you know what. Like Tom Cruise. You can't handle the truth!!!! ;)

Spin? That's up there with cash.

Why did we bail out housebuilders today??? I'll tell you why. Because housebuilders have convinced the world that rising house prices are good. Good for whom??? For them, of course!! For them!!!

Falling house prices bad, very bad. For whom??

Say you're buying your first house - falling prices = good.

You're trading up the ladder - falling prices = good.

You're trading down - falling prices = bad.

You just intend to keep living where you are and paying your mortgage - falling prices matters not one jot. So for one in four people it might be bad.

But here we are. Why? Spin. The world is full of it.

All I do is tell you what I think. But you know what. Like Tom Cruise. You can't handle the truth!!!! ;)

Are you piissed, mate ?

Top notch post. Let's drop this faux-morality attitude. Look at the way Davies changed his tune, and you cant have a home-baked team when the twaat at the top only gives a shiny one about his asset value.

Do you think Alpine, with all your knowledge, that if Lowe really, really wanted to get rich, richer than he was or is today, that buying a football club and getting OUT of the property business before the biggest boom in property prices the world has ever seen would be the way he chose to do it??

Whetever you think of him - and we don't have to guess - can you not accept he might just have a different way of wanting to take this club forward that he thinks is right??

When he came into football, whatever his reasons, he didn't surely do it for money??

He can't be stupid, you keep telling us how clever he is, after all...

Do you think Alpine, with all your knowledge, that if Lowe really, really wanted to get rich, richer than he was or is today, that buying a football club and getting OUT of the property business before the biggest boom in property prices the world has ever seen would be the way he chose to do it??

Whetever you think of him - and we don't have to guess - can you not accept he might just have a different way of wanting to take this club forward that he thinks is right??

When he came into football, whatever his reasons, he didn't surely do it for money??

He can't be stupid, you keep telling us how clever he is, after all...

Do I ? I seem to recall calling him something along the lines of a "dullard City reject" a couple of weeks back

Oh, and please tell me how he BOUGHT SFC. I missed that one............

Good post, unfortunately my local team is Blackfield and Langley though I'd imagine it's filled with local players. Guess I'll need to support them now, least the Totton lot get a trip out to wembley every once in a while....

Blackfield & Langley...

Tell me more, I was born there.. lived there 4 12yrs since birth in Blackfield..

names on a plate please...

Ah, get over yourself. By accident he's given me my club back. Wilde couldn't do it by design!!!!

And whoever is in the seat, I stand by my enjoyment of watching our talent not being the benefactor of an arms dealer, gangster, Russian Mafia, human-rights abusing dictatorship or worse.

At least our Chairman's only claim to fame is that he's either too posh or too stupid for some fans.

Ah, get over yourself. By accident he's given me my club back. Wilde couldn't do it by design!!!!

And whoever is in the seat, I stand by my enjoyment of watching our talent not being the benefactor of an arms dealer, gangster, Russian Mafia, human-rights abusing dictatorship or worse.

At least our Chairman's only claim to fame is that he's either too posh or too stupid for some fans.

How about his worrying tendency to get through managers like he gets through underpants ?

LOL

which these days....seems to be pretty tame..:o