Saints 4-1 Gillingham - Post Match W00Ting

Arizona

I think what iritates people is that it does not go both way's.

Lose = moan

Draw = moan

Win by thrashing a team = moan

The past week we have won a game and lost a game. We lost that game to a fluke goal, that was what seperated us. For 70% of that game we were the better team and played the best football probably since we were in the prem league. We scored 6 goals from open play. The manager "tweaked" things which paid off etc etc. The point is when the good things happen they are not commented on, you get a comment similar too "we were lucky to win" or "1 game does not make a season". But if we lose they say "the result is what matters and we lost" or "we have played a game and lost, we are going to get relegated" etc etc. The double standards is what annoys me.

How anyone can not be happy with the way the team is playing right now, especially after a 4-1 thrashing is beyond me.

Very well put....what I've been saying but more eloquently put

The result was brilliant. We now have to take that forward and improve further.

The reason we were better was Waigo causing a threat wide right and the interplay putting in crosses. This didn't happen in the previous nine games so we struggled to score. We are still lop sided, Lallana scored his 2 goals from the classic blindside position coming in off the left.

We still don't create down the left, and lack width there which exposes Harding. Gillingham didn't expose it but BR did. Unless we build a balanced team we will be worked out and our right side blocked off and breaks mounted down the vulnerable left.

We are still not brave enough and are stll trying to be narrow except for Waigo. Lallana looks a different player with the freedom to play off Lambert and is benefiting from the width on the right which is creating gaps in the opposing back four.

I think what iritates people is that it does not go both way's.

Lose = moan

Draw = moan

Win by thrashing a team = moan

The past week we have won a game and lost a game. We lost that game to a fluke goal, that was what seperated us. For 70% of that game we were the better team and played the best football probably since we were in the prem league. We scored 6 goals from open play. The manager "tweaked" things which paid off etc etc. The point is when the good things happen they are not commented on, you get a comment similar too "we were lucky to win" or "1 game does not make a season". But if we lose they say "the result is what matters and we lost" or "we have played a game and lost, we are going to get relegated" etc etc. The double standards is what annoys me.

How anyone can not be happy with the way the team is playing right now, especially after a 4-1 thrashing is beyond me.

St Marco - I think we are happy with yesterday but some of us don't want to get too OTT that's all. The bigger the hope the bigger the disappointment sort of thing.

I agree it must be annoying when it seems people only look for bad - my Dad, irritatingly, is a classic example as far as Saints are concerned - but some of us on here can praise when praise is due but also should also be allowed to temper our enthusiasm when we feel it appropriate without people telling us to "change our hobby".

NickG seems to take it personally for some reason. I know he is not a bad bloke and positivity is generally a good thing but he (and you) should ignore the postees on here who just are reluctant to get too carried away in case it all comes back to bite us on the arse. Supporting Saints for the best part of 46 years has certainly taught me not to count my chickens. I only clap after the fat lady has finished while Nick goes in paroxysms before she has cleared her throat.

The result was brilliant. We now have to take that forward and improve further.

The reason we were better was Waigo causing a threat wide right and the interplay putting in crosses. This didn't happen in the previous nine games so we struggled to score. We are still lop sided, Lallana scored his 2 goals from the classic blindside position coming in off the left.

We still don't create down the left, and lack width there which exposes Harding. Gillingham didn't expose it but BR did. Unless we build a balanced team we will be worked out and our right side blocked off and breaks mounted down the vulnerable left.

We are still not brave enough and are stll trying to be narrow except for Waigo. Lallana looks a different player with the freedom to play off Lambert and is benefiting from the width on the right which is creating gaps in the opposing back four.

Dave, I feel you have missed your true vocation. An aide-de-camp to Monty during WW2 would have more suited your tactical nous tather than working in aluminium tubing. :)

Dave, I feel you have missed your true vocation. An aide-de-camp to Monty during WW2 would have more suited your tactical nous tather than working in aluminium tubing. :)

Hi Duncan, it was a lot of fun down route. Are you coming on Mon 19th, Ron put the right day but wrong date on the email?

St Marco - I think we are happy with yesterday but some of us don't want to get too OTT that's all. The bigger the hope the bigger the disappointment sort of thing.

I agree it must be annoying when it seems people only look for bad - my Dad, irritatingly, is a classic example as far as Saints are concerned - but some of us on here can praise when praise is due but also should also be allowed to temper our enthusiasm when we feel it appropriate without people telling us to "change our hobby".

NickG seems to take it personally for some reason. I know he is not a bad bloke and positivity is generally a good thing but he (and you) should ignore the postees on here who just are reluctant to get too carried away in case it all comes back to bite us on the arse. Supporting Saints for the best part of 46 years has certainly taught me not to count my chickens. I only clap after the fat lady has finished while Nick goes in paroxysms before she has cleared her throat.

bit in bold was how all this started - he said he wasn't happy.

I am not getting excited - don't think I have had any posts getting carried away - certainly not enough for me to react as you suggest!

btw - this forum is the only place I have ever known happy to be a common insult:confused:

What it also shows up glaringly from last season is that when you have players with certain strengths and certain weaknesses, then you play football around those. What you do NOT do is to have a mantra about how you play and to hell with the skills/strengths/weaknesses of the players.

To me that is one area where I see improvement we are building a shape and a style that fits our strengths on the pitch NOT some strange Board Room Strategic Directive.

Wotton is a defensive midfileder who has a role to play. He isn't Glenn Hoddle, MLT or Theiry Henry. Expecting him to play their style of football instead of doing what he does says a lot about - well you all know who.

Still work in progress, still concerned about the harder winter pitches but happy at the fact things are moving forwards.

Oh and agree with St Marco...

We need balance in the team and balance on here rather than abuse all the time

I agree that this is not the finished article, but the last two performances showed a lot about what the potential of the squad is. It is the irony that balance was provided by returning to the formation which was reviled because it was introduced by a foreign manager and a hated chairman. My assertion was that 4-3-3 needs more skilful and experienced players than we had last year. I appear to have been right. Hooray! I like being right.

Regarding Wotton, I hope that he shut one or two detractors up. I don't think he deserved the flak he got earlier on in the season. He didn't come here to be a world beater, but to do a competitive job. I'm delighted to declare that he just did.

You're absolutely right....my response was born out of pure irritation down to a pathetic dig from someone who knows absolutely **** all what he's talking about.

I apologise. And take my comment back

one thing though. Annoying when someone has a pop at you isn it. Maybe remeber that before you preach to people on here

You're absolutely right....my response was born out of pure irritation down to a pathetic dig from someone who knows absolutely **** all what he's talking about.

While we're on the golfing topic, my conference in the US had a "Networking scramble" random teams yadda yadda. Our 3rd golfer looked useful, after about 7 holes we asked his handicap - he lol'd - he plays on the Nationwide Tour in the US. Last year was his best, he reckoned he won around $50k and reckoned it cost him around $100k to play. He cut back to 14 events so far this year due to the credit crunch etc. He plays because he enjoys it.

Interestingly, he knew an awful lot about Saints and their turbulent year. Nice to hear a Californian ask if we'd got rid of our idiot Dutch coaches...

Must be TT's influence

While we're on the golfing topic, my conference in the US had a "Networking scramble" random teams yadda yadda. Our 3rd golfer looked useful, after about 7 holes we asked his handicap - he lol'd - he plays on the Nationwide Tour in the US. Last year was his best, he reckoned he won around $50k and reckoned it cost him around $100k to play. He cut back to 14 events so far this year due to the credit crunch etc. He plays because he enjoys it.

Interestingly, he knew an awful lot about Saints and their turbulent year. Nice to hear a Californian ask if we'd got rid of our idiot Dutch coaches...

Must be TT's influence

Californian? What was his name? I spend a lot of time in California....in fact I'm flying out tomorrow!

Californian? What was his name? I spend a lot of time in California....in fact I'm flying out tomorrow!

Not posting that on a public forum, he's a good bloke!

meanwhile, without being "Happy Clappy" these two interviews tie in with my gut feeling that we ARE making progress for the first time in about 6 years.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/4663762.Lambert_makes_light_work_of_being_Saints_goal_ace/?ref=rss

The coaching staff have been working on building up Lambert's FITNESS - how often have we commented on that being an issue

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/4663766.Pardew_hoping_for_no_more_shocks/?ref=rss

AP himself is not getting "Carried Away" but remains "wary"

At the end of the day, since the heady days of WGS and the Cup Final, as fans we have been used to "hanging on" as our demise gathered speed, we tried to get optimistic about a succession of changes in Management and Boardroom but nothing stopped the slide.

One of the reasons for our mixed reactions at the moment is simply the fact that it is so long since we were a team that got a BIT better everyweek, having been used to getting a BIT worse every week.

Words are obviously cheap, but at least the words match what we are seeing, rather than being the "Churchillian" or "Amateur Spin" that bore no relation to reality of the past.

Another few weeks and maybe the corner really has been turned, 5 years of gentle steady improvement ahead eh? Wow, wonder what that would do to our collection of manic depressives on here and in the Stadium on matchdays ?

And what happens when we get as far as we can!??!??!

Life sure feels better some Monday mornings - and I still feel anything is possible in this league with a good run, no serious injuries, and no stupid bans!

I didn't go on Saturday - but the pasing and movement for the first goal was fantastic! I also feel as though Gillingham did give us a lot of time on the ball & they paid for it!

How nice it is to see Saints payers having a shot on goal from more than 6-yards. Looks like fitness and shooting practice has been high on the agenda.

Not sure where we go from here but another 3-points at Southend, followed by another 3 at Oldham will surely see us start on the climb up the table, and towards the top half. A couple of draws would be disappointing when you look at the calibre of the squad.

No pressure lads but you should really be pulling your socks up and going undefeated until the end of the season!

lambert was awesome lallana played really well off him and finished well. bit worrying to see lloyd james getting turned inside out by their winger, and see how without lambert and lallana on the pitch for the last 10 mins we didnt look like we were goin to score. with those 2 in goal scoring form going to southend cant see us not coming home without 3 points!!

COYR

lambert was awesome lallana played really well off him and finished well. bit worrying to see lloyd james getting turned inside out by their winger, and see how without lambert and lallana on the pitch for the last 10 mins we didnt look like we were goin to score. with those 2 in goal scoring form going to southend cant see us not coming home without 3 points!!

COYR

Welcome to the forum JoffyStevens. Can't really argue with any of your points made except I felt James improved significantly after the first 20minutes. His defending was much better, crosses dangerous and corners excellent. Good to see that our squad finally has a bit of depth when Murty comes back.