Saints 4-1 Gillingham - Post Match W00Ting

Arizona

C'mon guys, more comment on the football, not the comments. Having said that I didn't come on here after Tuesday's result as I could just imagine all the wallowing in misery.

I noticed somewhere that they've been working on Lambert's fitness which is going to give him even more of an edge. I'm looking forward to seeing him on my Christmas visit and hope to see my first win in 3 years!

aLPS..PLEASE DISREGARD THE BITTER PEEPS FROM BITTERNE.

Most will wish you and your family the very best in the coming days.

I wish that your wife recovers very quickly and you and your lads have dear old mum back home......The real Saints fans are a family and we wish only the best for our family and our team...

Good luck and hope the smiles return very soon.

A good win was what we needed and a good win is what we got.

For the first 10 minutes Gillingham outplayed us and although we then started to kick into gear we were not as good as on Tuesday (for the first 60 minutes of that game)

Cannot complain about scoring four and all from open play.

Wiago will need more time to understand and appreciate English football style and pace but he gives us more width on the right. Now all we need is the same on the left.

Mellis showed signs of the good player he can be. He needs to sustain it for more of the game though.

Lallana had a busy game and could not fault his skill and the way he took his goals.

Lambert was my man of the match. He is strong, holds the ball up, is intelligent with his reading of the game and his passes. What is more, given the support he had yesterday he can & will score goals for fun. What a gem of a buy he is.

No player for Saints let us down. Bit concerned that their goal was due to very poor, slow defending and if Davis had not been so far off his line he might have saved it but none the less it was a fine strike by Rooney.

If we are going to go on a sustained run we badly need to sort out the wide left position. Not only does the lack of a good player there (or anyone there at all!!!!) cut down our options but it also exposes Harding. Can Holmes do that job?

If we are going to go on a sustained run we badly need to sort out the wide left position. Not only does the lack of a good player there (or anyone there at all!!!!) cut down our options but it also exposes Harding. Can Holmes do that job?

definitely, Holmes is awesome Bit gutted he's hardly got any match time though, he could potentially play way above this level......

Think it depends on whether he is able to track back as well. Why is Pardew holding him back? Perhaps he has seen a weakness?

For the few minutes he was on yesterday he was up and back. He certainly offers more there than any one else.

Hammond was immense in the middle, the sort of player we've been missing for years and Wotton, alongside him, proved to be the perfect destroyer.

Glad someone singled out Hammond, I thought he was fantastic, very slick passing and swung over some lovely crosses (for Lambo's goal and the chance that Papa poked just wide), as well as working well to break up play. Very impressed.

I for one enjoyed the game, geting to SMS to use my season ticket for the first time. Sitting alongside two esteemed forum posters also made the game even more satisfying.

It was a good win and we could easily have added to the tally.

There were some good all round performances from the team. Llanana , Mellis and lambert were excellent. Papa is a good tricky player and when hes adjusted to the league 1 pace I predict a very good future for Papa.

There is clearly a great team spirit amongst all the lads which is refreshing to see. So many clubs have players that are only interested in their own ego and not the team or the club.

I can understand taking Adam, Ricky and Papa off for the final few minutes but I would have put Saggers on, as basically we sudenly didnt have a potent

strike force. OK Im being a bit harsh but sometimes maintaing a potent attacking option is more effective than defending . At least we had the safety of a 3 goal lead and not a one goal lead.

I even forcast a 4 -1 result. either it was a lucky guess or I need to start playing the lottery.

Looking forward to the tuesday game and then the Southend game. I will look out for you at the Southend game Ladysaint

if attacking play like that, and 4-1 win,doesn't make you happy think you should try another hobby!;)

Forum Alert: Corp Happy Clappy on patrol again!

You are only allowed to be gushing, positive and full of praise it seems on here.

Give CS a break Nick - he was only saying one good win does not make a season.

Yes it was OK to good yesterday but let's take one match at a time. That result will soon be forgotten if we lose at Roots Hall.

I wasn't even necessarily aiming my dig at negative posters directly at you anyway - there are others on here also who I was aiming at.

I think you also have your fair share of aggression - the torrent of abuse you have thrown at Pardew, Lallana, Schneiderlin and others over the past few weeks was unnecessary. It may have not felt unnecessary to you at the time, but I think certainly Pardew and Lallana are starting to prove now that it was unnecessary. You and others need to be less quick to jump into the criticism - sit back, look at the bigger picture, identify whether there truly is some responsibility that lies on someone's shoulders, rather than trying to find someone to blame. Because sometimes (Tuesday being a prime example), there isn't always someone to blame.

Anyway, in the nicest possible way, I hope to not hear from you on here for a little while. Your wife and kids need you a lot more than I do right now. I'll cope fine here without you for a while :D

Hope it all works out ok.

COYR

the no mark golfer is preaching again...

good luck in your next competition..you will probably need it

You are only allowed to be gushing, positive and full of praise it seems on here.

Yes it was OK to good yesterday but let's take one match at a time. That result will soon be forgotten if we lose at Roots Hall.

no he didn't. He said was reserving his happiness for when we win more games!

We aren't of the mess yet and hardly champions league - but if you can't enjoy yesterday you really are a miserable f***er! Cheer up!

I feel very sorry for them if they are relying on you to keep their spirits up!

disgusting comment

people moan about alps and his views..but I never remember him getting personal..

what is the point in this place when people like OB and st will are unable to accept another view without being a d1ck about it..

no he didn't. He said was reserving his happiness for when we win more games!

We aren't of the mess yet and hardly champions league - but if you can't enjoy yesterday you really are a miserable f***er! Cheer up!

OK Nick you did not know this but CS is going through a hard time at present so perhaps, less than what you regard as "suitably happy enough" posts, should just be ignored and yet you always seem to take them personally. Not everyone sees things the way you do (and I accept vice versa).

CS is a good fan

just re-read your post - "ok to good"??? lighten up
I agree with the comment "ok to good" when talking about our overall 90 minutes play. Result fantastic yes but one swallow does not make a summer. We need to sustain a decent run of results not go for the knee jerk reaction of manny on here over the years.

just re-read your post - "ok to good"??? lighten up

Why have I got to lighten up?

I am sorry Nick - I simply cannot get worked up about that much about yesterday's result. With our support, stadium, new found wealth etc etc results like this should be common place. There were some good things yesterday which cheered me (Lambert, Lallana, Mellis) and it is good to see us still getting 19,000+ but let's keep our feet on the ground. It was only our 2nd victory in 11 after all.

You seem to think we should all be going around the City in an open topped bus every Sunday and anyone who hasn't creamed their pants as much of you should be shot at dawn. Perhaps it is you who should just calm down a bit.

Why have I got to lighten up?

I am sorry Nick - I simply cannot get worked up about that much about yesterday's result. With our support, stadium, new found wealth etc etc results like this should be common place. There were some good things yesterday which cheered me (Lambert, Lallana, Mellis) and it is good to see us still getting 19,000+ but let's keep our feet on the ground. It was only our 2nd victory in 11 after all.

You seem to think we should all be going around the City in an open topped bus every Sunday and anyone who hasn't creamed their pants as much of you should be shot at dawn. Perhaps it is you who should just calm down a bit.

agree with this...if we did not win and people like me would have been livid, nickG would have been telling me to calm down

again, this result will mean little if we lose on friday

Rather than get personal think we should agree to disagree.

I really enjoyed and am looking forward to next game.

OK but t'were you telling me to "lighten up" and t'was you who chided Corsacar Saint suggesting he find another hobby. However......

I agree to disagree and accept you view of the world is rosier but that is your right as long as you respect others rights to see things via less tinted spectacles.

Let's hope we have more days like yesterday - I was only thinking how long it seemed to be since we had the luxury of going into the 85th minute without that dreaded feeling in the pit of our stomachs.

All I believe is seeing saints perform very well and win on a Saturday should be enjoyable!

Obviously not to some though.

Miserable fu***** should think back to last season!

I, for one, really enjoyed yesterday and can see the progress since the Millwall game. Yes we've a way to go but, for the 1st time in years, we are moving in the right direction.

We win 4-1, playing some excellent football (1st 20mins aside) in the process and still the whinging queens aren't satisfied.

disgusting comment

people moan about alps and his views..but I never remember him getting personal..

what is the point in this place when people like OB and st will are unable to accept another view without being a d1ck about it..

The comment was disgusting, but Alpine has made plenty of personal comments with regards to the likes of Lallana, Pardew and Morgan.

the no mark golfer is preaching again...

good luck in your next competition..you will probably need it

Sorry but **** off dull days you ghey sailor. No mark golfer.....I'll make more money in the next 5 years than you will have made you entire life.

boring boring boring. same old few get their handbags out and start *****ing at each other and what was a good thread about saints actually WINNING, becomes about a few people who can't accept that other people have different views to them.

time to give up on this thread. shame.....

So far this season I feel we have struggled to find a system that gets the best out of Adam Lallana. I know AP is well aware of his skill and potential and has been trying to build a formation around him in the same way we had to with MLT. Yesterday I think AP got it spot on and we looked a far more balanced side. My only concern is if Morgan can be more defensively minded to do the job that I thought Paul Wotton did so effectively yesterday (not brilliant but effective) A poss dilemna for Mr Pardew at Saaarfend on friday if Morgan is fit. Well done Saints. Great day out!

I was going to write a comment about how stupid it is that a thread about a 4-1 victory has turned into yet another argument, but I will instead focus on the football.

I was at the game yesterday and wasn't overly confident after witnessing the events on Tuesday night and thought our defence was really shaky in the first 20 mins or so. It was good to see us brush off those apparent nerves and the defence solidified, and it was also good to see us come back after conceding a goal, not letting our heads drop. I think Pardew has done well working with the mentalities of the players.

Hats off to Lallana and Lambert who were both superb, I also found it funny that Waigo was getting a lot of negative shouts from people in the Northam, but when he scored he was suddenly a hero. It's funny how things work like that.

Again, Harding was top notch, as well as our two CB's, even James impressed at right back, a position which a lot of people debate he isn't very good at. Hammond was solid and played excellent once again, and Mellis is still showing promise.

I must admit I felt uneasy whenever Wotton got the ball, he just seems not very agile and looked close to losing the ball on a number of occasions, however, saying that, he did make a few good passes. He has nothing on Morgan or Hammond though. Was good to see Holmes make a cameo towards the end, it will be good when he is back to full fitness.

All in all it was a good performance, we were lucky to get the first goal which was against the run of play but after we went 2-1 up I don't think there was much danger of us throwing it away. 3-1 at half time was a proper odd feeling!

The Northam was fairly quiet at times but got behind the team when it was needed, like at 1-1 and 2-1 up.

Brilliant to see us bang in 4, wouldn't mind seeing that every week.

Edited by RedAndWhite91

I was delighted with the win, but also with the quality of the football. With others I have been whingeing a it about not playing really wide and pacy players in a 4-4-2 formation.

In one discussion I thought about the difficulties in accommodate somebody like Lallana into that shape and hesitated whether I would dare to mention the disgraced 4-3-3 promoted by a chap from Holland, who knew nothing about football, and a former chairman who must remain nameless. I could see the virtues in allowing Lallana to develop his skills, but I couldn't get my head around it properly.

One or two has realised what happened in the last week, but it hasn't become a proper discussion, which is surprising. WE PLAYED 4-3-3!!!

Alright, effectively 4-1-2-3, but that is a variant of the same, and it worked. Papa Waigo is obviously used to, like most in the italian league, playing that formation and Lallana now could come fully into his own going forward and still provide protection for Harding. Hammond and Mellis could provide real attacking options from the centre of midfield, and Wotton didn't put much of a foot wrong in protecting the back four.

I am still to be convinced about Mellis, who doesn't seem to thing that he will have to defend anything and happily leaves that to others, but I don't feel much like being critical. I enjoyed the game.

AP has obviously drawn his own conclusions: We haven't got two naturally pacy wingers to play with, so what do we do instead? We play 4-3-3, which can be converted to 4-5-1 when we're away from home. Let's worry about playing wingers when, and if, we have any to play, and instead use the players we've got to their best advantage. This way we didn't even look especially slow.

At last, it feels, we have a proper foundation to build from. AP was looking for a team identity. Maybe some of the answer lies here. Hard working, passing and attacking team who will develop an uncompromising defense. It will do me.

Again, Harding was top notch, as well as our two CB's, even James impressed at right back, a position which a lot of people debate he isn't very good at. Hammond was solid and played excellent once again, and Morgan is still showing promise.

Morgan? ...do you mean Mellis?

So far this season I feel we have struggled to find a system that gets the best out of Adam Lallana. I know AP is well aware of his skill and potential and has been trying to build a formation around him in the same way we had to with MLT. Yesterday I think AP got it spot on and we looked a far more balanced side. My only concern is if Morgan can be more defensively minded to do the job that I thought Paul Wotton did so effectively yesterday (not brilliant but effective) A poss dilemna for Mr Pardew at Saaarfend on friday if Morgan is fit. Well done Saints. Great day out!

I agree on both counts, but this is one better than "building a team around Lallana". Left hand side of a three man attack, which can become a five man midfield away from home, fitted him like a glove. He can run, pass, get into the box and come back to defend and help building the attacks, all from that position. What is the genius, though, is that the system doesn't need replacing if he can't play. Holmes can play there, so could probably Mills, without it changing our shape substantially, as long as it is an attack minded player who can take his defensive duties seriously.

Schneiderlin is one player who hasn't convinced me yet. Wotton did great yesterday, MS is another type of player entirely.

I agree on both counts, but this is one better than "building a team around Lallana". Left hand side of a three man attack, which can become a five man midfield away from home, fitted him like a glove. He can run, pass, get into the box and come back to defend and help building the attacks, all from that position. What is the genius, though, is that the system doesn't need replacing if he can't play. Holmes can play there, so could probably Mills, without it changing our shape substantially, as long as it is an attack minded player who can take his defensive duties seriously.

Schneiderlin is one player who hasn't convinced me yet. Wotton did great yesterday, MS is another type of player entirely.

I think MS does the Wotton role (that kind of 'sweeper/holding player' role) but the difference with MS over Wotton is what he can do with the ball.

I thought Wotton played well yesterday, mind.

I think MS does the Wotton role (that kind of 'sweeper/holding player' role) but the difference with MS over Wotton is what he can do with the ball.

I thought Wotton played well yesterday, mind.

You're right that Wotton isn't a ball player. MS is much better at that, although I'm not yet sure how good he is really. What Wotton provided yesterday was quiet authority, total commitment and dead simple balls out of defence. I think it was just what was required, and maybe it showed his vocal detractors from earlier in the season that he is a valuable player for us.

The comment was disgusting, but Alpine has made plenty of personal comments with regards to the likes of Lallana, Pardew and Morgan.

Rubbish. I called Schneiderlin and Lallan "F**kwits" once, and have conceeded that Adam at least is proving me wrong.

I have made no personal comments apart from that. I have plenty criticised their performance, yes, but that is hardly personal.

i think at the mo morgan is a bit of a 'marmite' player...

personally, I think he is very good and has a bright future ahead of him...he is still a teenager too

I am starting to rate him more and more by the game, I think he is definitely improving. Last season I didn't really think much of him but now I think he is better and should be a starter week in week out if fit.

+ 1

I think what iritates people is that it does not go both way's.

Lose = moan

Draw = moan

Win by thrashing a team = moan

The past week we have won a game and lost a game. We lost that game to a fluke goal, that was what seperated us. For 70% of that game we were the better team and played the best football probably since we were in the prem league. We scored 6 goals from open play. The manager "tweaked" things which paid off etc etc. The point is when the good things happen they are not commented on, you get a comment similar too "we were lucky to win" or "1 game does not make a season". But if we lose they say "the result is what matters and we lost" or "we have played a game and lost, we are going to get relegated" etc etc. The double standards is what annoys me.

How anyone can not be happy with the way the team is playing right now, especially after a 4-1 thrashing is beyond me.

I think what iritates people is that it does not go both way's.

Lose = moan

Draw = moan

Win by thrashing a team = moan

The past week we have won a game and lost a game. We lost that game to a fluke goal, that was what seperated us. For 70% of that game we were the better team and played the best football probably since we were in the prem league. We scored 6 goals from open play. The manager "tweaked" things which paid off etc etc. The point is when the good things happen they are not commented on, you get a comment similar too "we were lucky to win" or "1 game does not make a season". But if we lose they say "the result is what matters and we lost" or "we have played a game and lost, we are going to get relegated" etc etc. The double standards is what annoys me.

How anyone can not be happy with the way the team is playing right now, especially after a 4-1 thrashing is beyond me.

good post

You're right that Wotton isn't a ball player. MS is much better at that, although I'm not yet sure how good he is really. What Wotton provided yesterday was quiet authority, total commitment and dead simple balls out of defence. I think it was just what was required, and maybe it showed his vocal detractors from earlier in the season that he is a valuable player for us.

What it also shows up glaringly from last season is that when you have players with certain strengths and certain weaknesses, then you play football around those. What you do NOT do is to have a mantra about how you play and to hell with the skills/strengths/weaknesses of the players.

To me that is one area where I see improvement we are building a shape and a style that fits our strengths on the pitch NOT some strange Board Room Strategic Directive.

Wotton is a defensive midfileder who has a role to play. He isn't Glenn Hoddle, MLT or Theiry Henry. Expecting him to play their style of football instead of doing what he does says a lot about - well you all know who.

Still work in progress, still concerned about the harder winter pitches but happy at the fact things are moving forwards.

Oh and agree with St Marco...

We need balance in the team and balance on here rather than abuse all the time

Sorry but **** off dull days you ghey sailor. No mark golfer.....I'll make more money in the next 5 years than you will have made you entire life.

I would have thought a sensible professional golfer playing on minor tours would be a bit more circumspect.

How do you get onto the money trail? Q school-2 qualifiers plus a 6 day grind only if cut is made, Challenge tour, is it top 15? Can you qualify by winning 2 challenge tour events?. Nobody will get rich on the Challenge tour.

I believe one is talking of a couple of thousand a week just to play on the European tour and no money if the cut isn't made. Unless you win or have a high enough ranking a lot of tournaments won't be available.

Ambition is one thing but what you are talking about is not a given. A friend of mine who was a top international junior has been to the Q school twice, is currently ranked highly in the southern region in the top 500 in the world and is winning quite a few tournaments but doesn't think his game is good enough this year to go to Q school again.

You are talking about a possible possibility, nothing in golf is definite even your swing.

I would have thought a sensible professional golfer playing on minor tours would be a bit more circumspect.

How do you get onto the money trail? Q school-2 qualifiers plus a 6 day grind only if cut is made, Challenge tour, is it top 15? Can you qualify by winning 2 challenge tour events?. Nobody will get rich on the Challenge tour.

I believe one is talking of a couple of thousand a week just to play on the European tour and no money if the cut isn't made. Unless you win or have a high enough ranking a lot of tournaments won't be available.

Ambition is one thing but what you are talking about is not a given. A friend of mine who was a top international junior has been to the Q school twice, is currently ranked highly in the southern region in the top 500 in the world and is winning quite a few tournaments but doesn't think his game is good enough this year to go to Q school again.

You are talking about a possible possibility, nothing in golf is definite even your swing.

You're absolutely right....my response was born out of pure irritation down to a pathetic dig from someone who knows absolutely **** all what he's talking about.