Saints 4-1 Gillingham - Post Match W00Ting

Arizona

We did well today, first half was a bit hit and miss...their equalizer had us all thinking it was going to be another of those days, but we regrouped and did well to hit back as quickly as we did to pretty much end the game.

2nd half we were great, could have had 5 or 6 if we really had pushed it - but it was nice to see us comfortably closing a game out for once.

The key area today was the attack (obviously..!), but not just lambert..Lallana/Papa and Mellis all interchanged brilliantly and made it ''busy'' around lambo (which is what pards has been asking for)

Harding was back to his best again today, probably the best LB at this level tbh.

I just hope that gives the lads the confidence that they need and we can kick on now. No more - points hanging over us...so no more reasons for that having an ''effect'' - it's an even playing field now and it's time for us to show what we're made of at this level.

Just got in. Defence looked shakey for the first half an hour but after their goal we looked good. Mellis was excellent today along with Lallana & Lambert. Wotton actually played surprisingly well. Some of our play was fantastic. Papa was quiet up untl his goal and turned it on in the second half, although his crosses from the by line are horendous. Roll on Southend and another league win.

The elevation of team confidence is more important today than the manner of performance, since Gillingham are sh*te.

I am hoping our players relish the taste of big victory and hunger for more.

Go on, just a "well done boys" or a "great result". Go on, you can do it. For me? :smt055

Does anyone else think we're playing a 4-2-3-1 formation? Kinda looked like that to me. Today Wotton and Hammond in the 2, the 3 ahead, from left to right, were Lallana, Melis and Papa, with Lambert playing ahead?

I kinda like it, and it suits Lallana down to the ground!

Nice to finally get 3 points in style! Will be interesting to read how the individual players did - Wotton, Mellis, Lallana and James in particular...

Wooton does not look comfortable on the ball, long passing not good, plays it sideways a lot BUT - positioned players all the time, was running off to talk to Pardew then adjusting things on the pitch, stuck his body in the way all the time and protected the defence excellently. Did his role very well indeed.

Mellis had an excellent game, really wanted to be involved, very comfortable on the ball and seems to have a real understanding with Lallana - very influecial today and not far away from MoM.

Lallana - excellent. Looks better in more central attacking role.

James - ok, very dangerous when crossing.

Lambert was awesome. Had 3 players on him a lot of the time, still one all headers and held the ball up. Very well taken goal.

Does anyone else think we're playing a 4-2-3-1 formation? Kinda looked like that to me. Today Wotton and Hammond in the 2, the 3 ahead, from left to right, were Lallana, Melis and Papa, with Lambert playing ahead?

I kinda like it, and it suits Lallana down to the ground!

I just described it as 4-1-2-3 on other thread! Wotton holding, Hammond/Mellis CM, three upfront.

Think its credit to their movement that it is hard to pin down!

I just described it as 4-1-2-3 on other thread! Wotton holding, Hammond/Mellis CM, three upfront.

Think its credit to their movement that it is hard to pin down!

Yeah I guess it's almost depending on if we have the ball or not. I guess when we do have it, your 4-1-2-3 formation is probably right. Then when we don't have the ball, Hammond drops back, as did Lallana and Papa, leaving Melis sitting in behind Lambert.

I do like it though!! Plenty of support in attacks from the midfield!

Good win but we did play a very poor side today, i'll reserve judgement for a fair while

I think that if they had scored again they would have been a threat in the second half but we had the upper hand for most of the game.

If we could break the habit of treating the half way line as a barbed wire fence when defending we would not have to defend so much, we got so deep in our half too many times.................. just look what happens when we do press on we wallop a team 4-1.

Fantastic way to get in positive points well done lads, I knew you would stumble along through the deficit then explode into positivity.

Just back from the game

Gutted to be honest. All those people saying prior to tues that we can't score goals, can't score goals from open play, can't take corners, Pardew getting tactics wrong, playing ****, Papa and Lambo useless etc etc are right. Fair play to them....

Seriously though was a very proffesional performance. The first 5-10 mins i think we have to be honest and say we were ****. The set-up looked wrong anf credit to Gillingham they came out taking it to us, they were the better team. We then scored by a fecking amazing strike by Rickie which i am sure was our 1st shot, we did not deserve the lead. Gillingham kept on going and got a goal which was also quality.

But then things started to click for us and in fairness we played them off the park. It was not the best performance but we started to boss the game. When we got the 2nd goal we had a little wobble after but was tiny. From that point on it was game over.

We could of had a few more goals as i think was Mellis hit the post and Papa hit one over which i felt he should of done better with. Then was the free kick from Lambo which was very well saved.

All in all the lad's did well without really going into 4th gear. I think someone was due a stuffing but i actually don't think this is it. Papa played well and combined with Lambert well, Lallana was excellent as he has been for the past few games and so was Mellis and Harding.

But my man of the match was Lambert. The guy is pure class. He has played what 9 games and scored 6? Didn't DMG get to 6 around 25 games or something? He wins nearly everything that comes to him. My mate describes him as "a greedy monster", and i think that is about right! Not greedy as in that he shoots etc because he doesn't, he passes to people nearly every time. But when the ball is in the air and there are 5 players on him he will get the ball nearly every time.

So good solid performance, defence needs to work on it a bit but everywhere else was good. Pardew got things spot on after it was 1-1.

Now into the + points. Hopefully we can now put a win run together and move up the table in the next month or so.

Getting into plus points is a real monkey off our backs. Cannot be easy going into games knowing even if you win you'll still be on minus points and in the games we have drawn more recently still on minus points. We'll see how much of a physchological lift that gives us next week I hope.

good win!!! :D

these are the teams, can I ask who is "preen"

Saints: Davis, James, Jaidi, Trotman, Harding, Wotton, Hammond, Mellis, N'Diaye (Holmes 85), Lallana (Gillett 75), Lambert (Paterson 86). Subs (not used): Forecast, Perry, Saganowski, Preen.

Oh boy, you're slow ;)

Our full time whistle went before it did at Molyneux so we got our first points before Pompey! FACT!

Not according to Soccer Saturday... who cares, at least we have that monkey off our back. Mind, still tons of work to do to get anywhere near "safety", think we'll be alright though.

Isn't it amazing.......a 4-1 win and we've got 1 and a half pages of comments. After we lost on Tuesday we must have had 4 or 5 pages within 3 hours of the end of the match, everyone b1tching and moaning. And people have a go at me when I get on the back of some posters for being negative and complaining all the time!!!

That's my little rant for tonight over!

Gillingham weren't great, but we made them look rubbish. Lambert is awesome, Lallana is pretty darn good too, Papa is going to be quality with a bit more experience in this league, Hammond was industrious, Wotton was OK - he backed off and didn't stick his foot in in the lead up to their goal, but he was much more aggressive in the second half. Jaidi is awesome!

Enjoyed my trip to the game on Tuesday despite the shock kick in the nuts result

Enjoyed listening on the Internet here today.

This is a very worrying trend, enjoying football when Saints are playing.

Long may it continue. Still early days to get all excited and I don't think our all action style will work on muddy or bumpy pitches but maybe there's a corner up ahead that we could turn soon.

WOOT, and not a weather forecast, muffin or Parrot in sight on here

James is worth having in the team just for his set piece delivery, it's been a long time since I've seen a Southampton corner taken so well and when we've got players like Lambert, Jaidi, Trottman etc a decent corner can cause all sorts of problems. His delivery was a class above what Lallana's been doing recently.

Wotton was superb today, for me he didn't put a foot wrong and was our best defensive player. He's never going to be as good on the ball as Schneiderlin but he kept things ticking over, got stuck in and used the ball relatively well.

Lallana is starting to look like the player we'd all hope he would become after that goal against West Brom. Everyone knows he's got ability but he's finally starting to get into the box and use his tricks and turns in the right space and getting the goal he deserves. The formation suits him down to the ground and he's showing signs that he could be a top player for us.

Lambert and Waigo are both starting to click as well, in the second half Waigo looked really promising he's starting to grow in to the side and showed a bit more of his pace, one he's match fit he'll be an assett.

The defence seemed solid enough, Harding seemed to give their right winger far too much space but always managed to get over in time so can't fault him for that. Hammon and Wotton really shielded the defence well which always helps.

I can't really fault anyone today, I don't know how Kelvin got lobbed on his goal line but he done well enough for the rest of the game. Even Mellis looked decent and I'm not a fan of his at all.

All in all a great performance all round, if we play like that on Friday we've got the three points in the bag. A bit of consistency will be key now, no need to change that side at all even if Mills and Morgan are fit again.

First 20 minutes defence was awful, just when us fans think it might be sorted. Trotman

was shocking all game[ first bad game?], and James was tied up in knots also. When we

went forward we looked good, however Gillingham were shocking, and the midfield is still a worry.

give over, we won 4-1. some people are never happy

great result

throughly enjoyed it

a bit shakey to start, and AP had a quick word with Trotman after we scored first goal because he was awful during the first 20mins.

bit concerned that KD was chiped but after that he had little to do.

pleased to see that during the last bit of the warm up we were actually practising Papa getting to by line and crossing it.

First 20 minutes defence was awful, just when us fans think it might be sorted. Trotman

was shocking all game[ first bad game?], and James was tied up in knots also. When we

went forward we looked good, however Gillingham were shocking, and the midfield is still a worry.

Trotman shocking!!!!!!!!! Not in my book.I only criticise his downward header from a corner when he should have got it on target.A brilliant set piece that should have resulted in a goal

great result

throughly enjoyed it

a bit shakey to start, and AP had a quick word with Trotman after we scored first goal because he was awful during the first 20mins.

bit concerned that KD was chiped but after that he had little to do.

pleased to see that during the last bit of the warm up we were actually practising Papa getting to by line and crossing it.

Have you seen Valencia for Man Utd ? £16m and some of his crossing is really poor but it can be worked on so I agree it's good that he was practicising it. That said I think it's more a case of when to cross the ball and where to place the cross rather the how, the actual art of crossing the ball isn't that hard in my opinion