Football Manager 2010 DEMO OUT NOW

Matthew Le God

You can download it on steam if you have a steam account.

Thus far i think it's ok. Better then i expected and a clear improvement on 09 in both time it takes to process and in terms of graphics. The stadiums look a bit better which adds to the realism.

But i don't think it is as great as some think, not sure it is worth £29.99 as at the base of it the game is more of an update then a whole new game. But i guess it depends on how much you play it. If you put months into it then it is money well spent. The replay value is a lot higher then most games out these days.

Any particular highlights in comparison to last years effort?

The tactics creator is immense, it's now really easy to swap a players focus in game without having to fiddle about with sliders, the new interface works really well.

My only major gripe with it is the match speed - the fastest is too fast, you take it down a notch and the ball is moving at 0.1 miles an hour.

You can download it on steam if you have a steam account.

Thus far i think it's ok. Better then i expected and a clear improvement on 09 in both time it takes to process and in terms of graphics. The stadiums look a bit better which adds to the realism.

But i don't think it is as great as some think, not sure it is worth £29.99 as at the base of it the game is more of an update then a whole new game. But i guess it depends on how much you play it. If you put months into it then it is money well spent. The replay value is a lot higher then most games out these days.

It is available for under £18. Considering the number of hours most play FM for it works out as value for money imo ;)

The biggest question of all now - should I continue with the demo and carry on with this save when the game comes out, or just start a new game when I buy it?

I'd start again if I were you with a much larger database selected. The demo is just a "quickstart" database and hardly has any players. Also a release day patch/data update will be available and for best results it is better to start a new game after installing the patch.

Well, here's my verdict so far:

For a start, I don't like the new layout. I'm sure i'll get used to it, but I actually find it quite confusing! Also, the skin makes it hard to see players stats, especially in the Search section. However, i'm sure with other skins being released with the full version/fan made that will improve.

Secondly, the match graphics are quite odd. Whereas in FM09 the players were quite jittery and moved funnily (and had the amazing ability to make the ball move before they'd even kicked it - magic!) they have much smoother movement and better passing etc, but I can't help but feel that the graphics are quite....cartoony, for want of a better word.

I've been a fan of the FM series for a long time, and played Championship Manager for years beforehand, but it looks like I might need to rack up a few more hours before this one wins me over. However, I am very happy to take my judgements back if the full version is better, which i'm almost certain it will be!

(Oh, and good job with the stats MLG, our team is quality!)

Been playing it for a fair few hours now and 2nd thoughts are i really like it. I think it really could be the best one i played yet!

The only gripes i can think of are the people in the stands when you score, they move up and down like they do in South Park. Quite annoying!

Other then that the background is either too light or too dark, i know better skins will be out eventually.

All in all i thinks its good. Can see many an hour lost on this one!

Sol Campbell, Michael Mifsud, Smolarek, Dejan Stefanovic, Rohann Ricketts, Van Der Meyde, Jorge Andrade, Moritz Volz. To name but a few.

Not to mention the bargains you can get on the transfer list; Leigertwood for £400k, Neil Mellor for £95k, David Wright for £400k (perfect for RB).

Henri Camara wanted about £25k a week on my game, how the hell did you manage to sign him?

Ok, i've got £1.2m transfer budget left to spend, i've shipped out Forecast, Boyle, Patterson, Thomson and Lancashire on loan and i've brought in Max Gradel on loan, Elliot Omozusi on a free and Nathan Tyson for 300k.

Sorted in the striker department now, wingers are looking strong, need to strengthen up a bit at the back though. Bit of pace at the back to counter for Jaidi's....slowness. Any suggestions?

Really enjoyed the demo, can't wait for the full game! I do have a few observations based on the jump i've made from FM 08 straight into this.

- The 3D match engine, really does add a new level of depth to proceedings, so satisfying to see some of the team moves come together, however, it looks so murky! The stadia, while a nice touch are a bit patchy (I never realised SMS had three tiers, surely there can be a way to make these editable, a fan based add on or something like the club badges and kit packs) and the random digitised people simply look stupid. The animations of the players look rather clunky at times too, but in time i'm sure it'll be perfected.

- The new layout, works very well, once I got into it it became quite intuitive. However, is it better? Not sure, would like the option of the old layout.

- Press conferences, initially fantastic but became repetitive very quickly. Again, there is a lot of potential to expand on this and over time it will be better i'm sure.

- Tactics, much easier to tweak things now a lot more user friendly, a big thumbs up!