F1 2010 Drivers Thread

Arizona

So many rumours, so few confirmed signings. Lets have a gossip. Confirmed drivers in red.

McLaren

1. Jenson Button

2. Lewis Hamilton

Mercedes

3. Michael Schumacher

4. Nico Rosberg

Red Bull

5. Sebastian Vettel

6. Mark Webber

Ferrari

7. Felipe Massa

8. Fernando Alonso

Williams

9. Rubens Barrichello

10. Nicolas Hulkenburg

Renault

11. Robert Kubica

12. Vitaliy Petrov

Force India

14. Adrian Sutil

15. Vitantonio Liuzzi

Torro Rosso

16. Sebastian Buemi

17. Jaime Alguersuari

Lotus

18. Jarno Trulli

19. Heikki Kovalainen

Hispania Racing

20. Karun Chandhok

21. Bruno Senna

Virgin Racing

22. Timo Glock

23. Lucas Di Grassi

Sauber

24. Pedro De La Rosa

25. Kamui Kobayashi

Stefan GP

Might be there. Might not. Apparently have Nakajima lined up. And Villeneurve. Maybe...

Ah right...

Well we've got Alonso and Massa confirmed at Ferrari, Barrichello and Hulkenburg confirmed at Willies, Kubica confirmed at Renault with Glock a strong rumour, Toro Rosso unchanged and Force India rumoured to stay the same too, if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Mercedes don't seem all that keen on Button and he now looks like a shoe in for the other McLaren seat. Shame. I'd have liked to have seen him at Mercedes with Kimi in the Macca.

Merc want an all German team, and as a result we'll get an all English team at McLaren. With the two Brazilians at Campos, is F1 turning into that A1 GP competition?

Button has signed for McLaren, will be formally announced this afternoon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8363892.stm

Now confirmed. It's going to be amazing watching the Jenson fans of 2006 who became Lewis fans in 07/08, and went back to being die-hard Jenson fans in 2009, decide where their loyalties will lie at the start of 2010.

You know who you are....

Disappointed really. Would have liked the two Brits in different cars for a bit of variety. Liked the Brawn team, but can't see myself liking Mercedes. They're shaping up to be just a bit too German. Hate to see Kimi not on the grid next year too. :(

As long as McLaren or Red Bull beat the Ferraris I'll be okay.

Button leaving MercRawn wasn't totally down to Button being too rich, I think Merc want their own guys in there (Rosberg and Heidfeld).

Kimi stands to earn more money in 2010 by not being in F1. IIRC, he gets one paydeal from Ferrari for the last year of his contract if he doesn't find F1 employment, and a substantially smaller deal if hes driving with another F1 team.

I'm looking forward to seeing Button and Hamilton together in the same car (not literally). I've always loved watching Button drive as he's so smooth and precise but I also love the some-what 'balls out' approach of Lewis too. Will be great to see who comes out top in their personal battle with 2 relatively conflicting driving styles. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top 4 places in the Drivers Championship shared by McLaren and Ferrari in 2010.

I'm looking forward to seeing Button and Hamilton together in the same car (not literally). I've always loved watching Button drive as he's so smooth and precise but I also love the some-what 'balls out' approach of Lewis too. Will be great to see who comes out top in their personal battle with 2 relatively conflicting driving styles. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top 4 places in the Drivers Championship shared by McLaren and Ferrari in 2011.

Completely agree SoB, really looking forward to reports back from pre-season testing to see how Macca have come on and to see how Button will settle in the new car.

Although I dont agree that the top 4 will be Macca and Ferrari as I still think RBR will be up there with Vettel (or at least I hope)

Now confirmed. It's going to be amazing watching the Jenson fans of 2006 who became Lewis fans in 07/08, and went back to being die-hard Jenson fans in 2009, decide where their loyalties will lie at the start of 2010.

You know who you are....

I don't think anyone neccessarily swapped allegiances. I think it's just a case that British people like to see British winners. When it was painfully obvious Lewis couldn't win the WDC then they got behind Jenson, who obviously could win it.

I personally like them both and if it came down to the last lap, of the last race for the 2010 WDC I'd be stuck! I think Button might just scrape it for me though.

Completely agree SoB, really looking forward to reports back from pre-season testing to see how Macca have come on and to see how Button will settle in the new car.

Although I dont agree that the top 4 will be Macca and Ferrari as I still think RBR will be up there with Vettel (or at least I hope)

I'm not sure the likes of RBR and Brawn/Mercedes will be top 2 material next season. I think this year was a bit of a one off and I expect to see them slip to 3 and 4. I don't think the gap will be as big as it has been between the top and the midfield though which can only be a good thing.

Saying that I'm really looking forward to seeing how Alonso copes with the Ferrari. It would appear to be match made in heaven but by all accounts it is very much a Marmite car to drive. (Cue possible season long sulks and an unprecidented 2nd return to Renault!)

If all the current F1 drivers had exactly the same cars who would you rank as the top 5 drivers?

My subjective list is:

1. Vettel

2. Alonso

3. Raikonen

4. Hamilton

5. Massa

I find it quite tricky as I am at a loss to know how drivers like Kubica might perform if they had had a better car.

If all the current F1 drivers had exactly the same cars who would you rank as the top 5 drivers?

My subjective list is:

1. Vettel

2. Alonso

3. Raikonen

4. Hamilton

5. Massa

I find it quite tricky as I am at a loss to know how drivers like Kubica might perform if they had had a better car.

I think this is a virtually impossible question to answer. There are a number of quality drivers and trying to put them in order in a top 5 is uber-difficult. For the record though, I think the best 3 drivers out there at the moment are Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel though that's in no particular order.

I'm not so sure about it going back to Mc vs F next season. I don't think Mercedes will be race winners straight away, but I think Red Bull will be there or there abouts. They won the last three races of the Championship, have a sound budget and have Newey, Vettel and Webber (who is underrated IMO). Plus Ferrari have an absolute dog of a car and never really fixed it this season. It would suggest to me that they haven't entirely got their head around the new regulations, although they will no doubt be stronger next season.

Plus Ferrari have an absolute dog of a car and never really fixed it this season. It would suggest to me that they haven't entirely got their head around the new regulations, although they will no doubt be stronger next season.

But didnt Ferrari stop development on the '09 car half way through the season sue to them being rubbish and push ahead with the '10 car development?

As for the best drivers... really impossible to say, but if you were to compare drivers points from last season to their team mates...

Rosberg (34.5) infinity times Nakajima (0)

Alonso (26) infinity times Piquet and Grosjean (0)

Sutil (5) infinity times Liuzi (0)

Buemi (6) 3 times Bourdais (2) and Alguersuari (0)

Hamilton (49) 2.23 times Kovalainen (22)

Raikkonen (48 ) 2.18 times Massa (22) Badoer (0) and Fisichella (0)

Fisichella (8 ) 1.6 times Sutil (5)

Button (95) 1.23 times Barrichello (77)

Vettel (84) 1.21 times Webber (69.5)

Trulli (32.5) 1.21 times Glock (24) and Kobayashi (3)

Heidfeld (19) 1.18 times Kubica (17)

But didnt Ferrari stop development on the '09 car half way through the season sue to them being rubbish and push ahead with the '10 car development?

That means nothing though, mate. BMW did that last year and produced a bit of a dog and we shouldn't even talk about the 2008 Honda which began development week 1 2007.

As for the best drivers... really impossible to say, but if you were to compare drivers points from last season to their team mates...

Bit odd that you count all the appearances except Fisichella in a Force India.

Bit odd that you count all the appearances except Fisichella in a Force India.

shipment_of_fail.jpg

You know who you are....

Always been Button, Hamilton is a great driver but I don't really like him as a bloke.

You know who you are....

Quite,

Personally I can only see the Button-Hamilton partnership lasting about as long as the Alonso-Hamilton partnership