Touch screen mobile

EBS1980

My 18 month contract is up next month and it's time to start looking for a new phone again.

I don't like paying for a phone as it's bad enough being tied into an 18month contract but would pay £100 max for an upgrade. It seems touch screen is the way they are all going at the mo, any suggestions of a good phone to try and get?

My iPhone is awesome and I've managed to get the battery life to last 2 days before a charge.... I've configured email to fetch every 30 minutes and I make sure B/tooth is only on when in the car.... takes a little bit of TLC but you can sort the battery life......

Well I've had a few recently so here goes :

HTC Touch G1 - this was an awesome phone and could have done some serious damage to the iphone market, however it was tied in to a T-mobile contract! They then went an forced through an update to the phone which destroyed it to the point that standing next to the phone and calling it from a landline and it wouldn't even ring! It could have been a contender :(

Blackberry - tried a few different ones of these out and they seem awesome for work, email is great and battery life is huge, but if you want the internet then give it a miss! Equivalent of approx 56k dial up modem is slow :(

Nokia 5800 - awesome phone for music and mp3 player. Great for apps too with the Ovi store. But just way too fiddly with that little stylus thingy for tapping out messages etc. Super quick internet too with 3.5g, but just looks a bit crap really!

So, which phone did I end up with - God I'm starting to sound like Ess!!! - that's right, I went with the iPhone! Frankly it takes all the good bits from all the other phones and puts them in one place. OK the battery life is a bit short - especially if using the internet, iPod, Apps, etc - but it cost me £3.50 to get two additional usb leads and let's face it, who's not near a computer most of the time these days!!

Depends on what you are likely to use the phone for. Basically it's a 2 way battle between an iPhone and a Blackberry really. I went for the Blackberry as everyone I know who's brought an iPhone moans like buggery about the tragic battery life on them. If you use them on a regular basis you will be charging them every single day. My Blackberry Curve will happily last 3 days which is a very important factor to me personally. Mine is primarily a business tool so a 15 hour battery life is simply unacceptable. I haven't had to charge a phone every day since my Motorola Micro Tac! The iPhone is undoubtedly more 'fun' but as with many other Apple products it's a case of form over function.

I was in the same boat when my handset died a week before upgrade time, but I realised I can't afford to commit myself to another 18month deal. I was going to pick the HTC Hero or HTC HD2, I had a go on both and was impressed with Android and the TouchFlow interface.

However, because I couldn't afford it, I got Nokia 5530 Xpress Music from CPW, PAYG for £100 and stuck my contract SIM in it until it runs out. Then I'll get a Tesco 30 day contract SIM I think. The 5530 is good for an entry level touch phone, all the best bits from the 5800 but much thinner. Its no iPhone but I don't mind having an app to tell me when to wipe my bum. :D

nobody had a go with the htc hero then?

I've got a HTC Magic and used the the HTC hero which is a step up. My Magic does the simple things ie internet, android apps and other stuff well. Had no problems.

Could get an emulator on it to get the Hero rom but its too much work for me.

Cant complain as I got mine free on a 15 month contract with interenet, unlimited texts and 600mins all for £20 a month.

But will say the iPhone is that much slicker than a majority of phones at the moment. Hopefully the other companies will up catch with it soon!

Edited by Johnny Shearer

anyone who uses the words 'iphone' and 'crap' in the same sentence should be put down.

Bought mine in CPW for £450. Best £450 I've ever spent.

Should have gone to Tesco and saved yourself a tenner then. ;)

I'm still not convinced to be honest. I'm making the smartphone decision as we speak and just don't know what to buy. I'm torn between Android variants, the iphone and a Blackberry of some sort.

The Android phones generally have tight data restrictions on Vodafone and Orange, whilst I'm conerned that the T-Mobile coverage is unpredictable at best. This leaves Andriod phones sort of out of the question until the Nexus ONe appears on Vodafone perhaps.

The thing that I can't get my head round with the iphone is that it looks under featured alongside some of the Andriod offerings. Multi-tasking and social network integration are two key areas where it reportedly lags behind and when you couple this with the hefty price tag, it doesn't automatically present itself as a clearcut leading contender. If I pay a premium, I expect the product to deserve that premium and prove its worth.

I know little Blackberrys, execpt that the Bold 9700 is the only one with 3G that I've seen and it therefore carries an iphone-esque price point contract-wise, albeit without the handset charge upfront. Some features appeal, Blackberry messenger would come in handy as I'm buying two identical handsets at once, but the little screen seems odd and leaves me with concerns about the browsing experience.

All in all, I wonder if now isn't a good time. With a summer iphone refresh around the corner and some key Android phones arriving in the Spring, perhaps we're on the verge of a big change in what the smartphones will be offering. Mind you, I guess you can always wait for the next big thing!

Edited by sotonjoe

The iphone is so good that it's hard to even have the strength to explain why you should get one, because there are so many reasons. I honestly don't think you could possibly be disappointed with it. It is so fast, it does everything instantly. There are millions of apps available for it that do everything you could possibly imagine, and more. I'm currently using remote desktop on it to login to my laptop at home for instance. It has media sharing so you can view pretty much any files that are on your computer, from your phone, using 3g or wifi so you don't even need to be on the same network as it. The touch screen is so responsive that you really can't compare it to anything else that you have ever used that has a touch screen. All the best generic apps are free, the other best ones are downloaded so much that they're only 59p each. One app could completely transform the way you use your mobile. I find myself sat in front of my laptop sometimes using facebook on my iphone instead of the laptop. The app for facebook has been developed specifically for facebook. You login on google chrome and you don't get the user friendly buttons and it isn't as well layed out. I have the same with googlemail and a number of other apps like the trainline app. I'm stood at the train station, not looking at the train time displays, but looking at my phone as its much much quicker! It has a search function so that you can find anything on your phone instantly as it is all indexed. Then there is mobileme which I haven't even tried yet which is supposedly the most important app for anyone involved in a business.

The iphone is so good that it's hard to even have the strength to explain why you should get one, because there are so many reasons. I honestly don't think you could possibly be disappointed with it. It is so fast, it does everything instantly. There are millions of apps available for it that do everything you could possibly imagine, and more. I'm currently using remote desktop on it to login to my laptop at home for instance. It has media sharing so you can view pretty much any files that are on your computer, from your phone, using 3g or wifi so you don't even need to be on the same network as it. The touch screen is so responsive that you really can't compare it to anything else that you have ever used that has a touch screen. All the best generic apps are free, the other best ones are downloaded so much that they're only 59p each. One app could completely transform the way you use your mobile. I find myself sat in front of my laptop sometimes using facebook on my iphone instead of the laptop. The app for facebook has been developed specifically for facebook. You login on google chrome and you don't get the user friendly buttons and it isn't as well layed out. I have the same with googlemail and a number of other apps like the trainline app. I'm stood at the train station, not looking at the train time displays, but looking at my phone as its much much quicker! It has a search function so that you can find anything on your phone instantly as it is all indexed. Then there is mobileme which I haven't even tried yet which is supposedly the most important app for anyone involved in a business.

Can you explain how you can do the first bit in bold without having a mobile me subscription? If I understood you correctly, you seem to be saying I can acess files stored on a home computer using 3g, as opposed to just across my own wifi network.

Mobileme looks good, but at the heart of it is the sort of active sync that Google will let you do for free. I know you get a bit more functionality with it, in terms of cloud storage space etc, but again it goes down the Apple route of charging a premium for something that other companies can offer to some extent for free.

My brother has just opted to upgrade his phone, from iPhone to HTC HD2. He seems happy with it at the moment, he never used loads of apps anyway, just music/movies. Main reason for upgrade was ''the iPhone is like bellybuttons - everyones got one''.

My brother has just opted to upgrade his phone, from iPhone to HTC HD2. He seems happy with it at the moment, he never used loads of apps anyway, just music/movies. Main reason for upgrade was ''the iPhone is like bellybuttons - everyones got one''.

I'll take it off him then if he doesn't want the bellybutton anymore.

Its not the best out there , now is it (phone function). ;)

ie: no bluetooth sending,no mms ect! read above link!

It's got MMS, mate. No bluetooth sending, no, but I never use that anyway. It seems to me that only people who fileshare songs illegally and then play them out loud as they walk through town really need that.

The camera is a bit w*nk, no argument there, but, the iPhone, as an ergonomic and functional bit of technology, is unbeatable.

It's got MMS, mate. No bluetooth sending, no, but I never use that anyway. It seems to me that only people who fileshare songs illegally and then play them out loud as they walk through town really need that.

The camera is a bit w*nk, no argument there, but, the iPhone, as an ergonomic and functional bit of technology, is unbeatable.

MMS right give you that, but with tv's now having bluetooth so you can see your pics + vids, it seems a bit draconian dont you think. It just backs up whats being said on the above link!!

Lol @ Sotons East Side!!!!

I didn't even bother Reading the whole of that linked page after reading just the first unbalanced paragraph and realising that it was written by the Free Software Foundation... talk about having a vested interest in slagging off a rival device!!

There are plenty of free, non Apple-approved Apps out there once you jailbreak your iPhone. It doesn't even require any technical ability these days to jb, with the simple blackra1n software.

On the Bluetooth file sending issue: who does this on a phone except 11 yr old girls sending the latest crap song from MC McDizzee Dub Dubz to their friend? Anyway, there are Apps and email to send files to the person standing next to you; If the other person has an iPhone too, then Apps like Mover make it even easier to send stuff than by Bluetooth!

The thing I am gutted about is that my iPhone cannot send MMS messages, like SES says. I am going to have to stop sending photos to people using the built in MMS functionality on my iPhone now then... oh noes.

If you're going to link to totally biased anti-iPhone rantings, at least link to up to date ones and get your facts straight!!

My iPhone's O2 contract is the first contract that I haven't either upgraded the phone on or switched contracts to get the latest up to date handset on- there simply is no need. When, after 18mths, no other handset has improved upon what my iPhone can do - what's the point? All I'd do is get the 3GS, but I'm happier to switch to a £20 per month 30 Day Simplicity contract and be free to cancel and switch at that point to the next device that is miles ahead of the competition (we all know this is going to be the iPhone 4G).

I really cannot decide whether to get an iPhone or not. I'm on the brink of getting a 3G S 16gb, but can't make my mind up as to whether it is worth the initial (and very large, for me atleast) hit of £450.

I would go on a SIM only O2 Simplicity plan for £20 a month, getting 700 mins, 1,400 texts (basically unlimited for me) and unlimited internet. £450 just seems an AWFUL lot for a phone which you still pay for monthly afterwards. Convince me?

I didn't even bother Reading the whole of that linked page after reading just the first unbalanced paragraph and realising that it was written by the Free Software Foundation... talk about having a vested interest in slagging off a rival device!!

There are plenty of free, non Apple-approved Apps out there once you jailbreak your iPhone. It doesn't even require any technical ability these days to jb, with the simple blackra1n software.

On the Bluetooth file sending issue: who does this on a phone except 11 yr old girls sending the latest crap song from MC McDizzee Dub Dubz to their friend? Anyway, there are Apps and email to send files to the person standing next to you; If the other person has an iPhone too, then Apps like Mover make it even easier to send stuff than by Bluetooth!

The thing I am gutted about is that my iPhone cannot send MMS messages, like SES says. I am going to have to stop sending photos to people using the built in MMS functionality on my iPhone now then... oh noes.

If you're going to link to totally biased anti-iPhone rantings, at least link to up to date ones and get your facts straight!!

My iPhone's O2 contract is the first contract that I haven't either upgraded the phone on or switched contracts to get the latest up to date handset on- there simply is no need. When, after 18mths, no other handset has improved upon what my iPhone can do - what's the point? All I'd do is get the 3GS, but I'm happier to switch to a £20 per month 30 Day Simplicity contract and be free to cancel and switch at that point to the next device that is miles ahead of the competition (we all know this is going to be the iPhone 4G).

Ess, I've read somewhere on the internet that the latest 3gs handsets cannot be successfully jailbroken. You can do the process, but you'll find that the iphone will not boot up once it gets turned off. All well and good if you never let it run out of battery, otherwise you'll be having to faff around with it all the time.

Whilst this won't affect you, it would affect people considering an iphone now based on your advice that they could jailbreak it for added functionality.

I really cannot decide whether to get an iPhone or not. I'm on the brink of getting a 3G S 16gb, but can't make my mind up as to whether it is worth the initial (and very large, for me atleast) hit of £450.

I would go on a SIM only O2 Simplicity plan for £20 a month, getting 700 mins, 1,400 texts (basically unlimited for me) and unlimited internet. £450 just seems an AWFUL lot for a phone which you still pay for monthly afterwards. Convince me?

I paid a similar amount for my 3G well over a year ago. It's still like brand new, no scratches, etc. and still performs brilliantly. It's not just a beautifully functional phone, it's really well put together too. I use it at work and I work in a very poor environment for mobile phones, amid powdered nylon, and where other phones have failed it keeps soldiering on. I think its longevity has justified the price tag, though, I admit, I had reservations when I handed over my Debit Card.

No! You've summed it up yourself.

The worst thing to do would be to sign up for an iphone on an 18month or 24month deal at the moment. Big updates are afoot in the smartphone market and it seems rash to tie yourself in to a long, long deal with better phones around the corner.

You mention going the PAYG route with a simplicity sim, but perhaps the Tesco deal is worth looking at. That option would cost you £330 for the handset and then £20 per month for 12 months. You get a £60 call and text allowance to use how you see fit on that package as well as unlimited internet and wifi through BT Openzone. Tesco use the O2 network and the signal quality is just the same from my experience.

If you're desperate for an iphone now, that's the way to go. You can watch this year's developments and then see what you want to do 12 months down the line. Selling your 'old' 3GS for a reasonable sum, should still be an option then, which will give you funds to put towards your new phone.

Saying that, I don't think now is a good time to make a purchase at all. You're really better off seeing what handsets are announced over the coming weeks and plumping for something that is 'new' and has the benefit of a long life cycle ahead of it, as opposed to tying yourself to what is an old handset.

HTC have many smartphones about to be released which should rival and if not better the Nexus One. Equally, people seem to now be in agreement that Apple have undergone final testing of the 'new' iphone which looks set to have a larger and improved screen and a 5mp camera with flash, as well as a 1ghz processor to rival the Nexus One.

If you don't have to make a purchase now and can wait for a few weeks, you could see if any of the new phones tempt or then decide to wait for the new iphone in summer. Even if you backtrack and go for an iphone 3gs at that stage, it's inevitable that you'll get a better deal on one then as opposed to now.

No! You've summed it up yourself.

The worst thing to do would be to sign up for an iphone on an 18month or 24month deal at the moment. Big updates are afoot in the smartphone market and it seems rash to tie yourself in to a long, long deal with better phones around the corner.

You mention going the PAYG route with a simplicity sim, but perhaps the Tesco deal is worth looking at. That option would cost you £330 for the handset and then £20 per month for 12 months. You get a £60 call and text allowance to use how you see fit on that package as well as unlimited internet and wifi through BT Openzone. Tesco use the O2 network and the signal quality is just the same from my experience.

If you're desperate for an iphone now, that's the way to go. You can watch this year's developments and then see what you want to do 12 months down the line. Selling your 'old' 3GS for a reasonable sum, should still be an option then, which will give you funds to put towards your new phone.

Saying that, I don't think now is a good time to make a purchase at all. You're really better off seeing what handsets are announced over the coming weeks and plumping for something that is 'new' and has the benefit of a long life cycle ahead of it, as opposed to tying yourself to what is an old handset.

HTC have many smartphones about to be released which should rival and if not better the Nexus One. Equally, people seem to now be in agreement that Apple have undergone final testing of the 'new' iphone which looks set to have a larger and improved screen and a 5mp camera with flash, as well as a 1ghz processor to rival the Nexus One.

If you don't have to make a purchase now and can wait for a few weeks, you could see if any of the new phones tempt or then decide to wait for the new iphone in summer. Even if you backtrack and go for an iphone 3gs at that stage, it's inevitable that you'll get a better deal on one then as opposed to now.

Well that's made it easy ;)

My phone really is on its last legs (we're talking days here). I had a look at some HTC products, mainly the hero, but found i'd much rather have a phone that is fully touch screen for ease of use.

You talk about the Tesco Simplicity plan, but would the £320 and £20 p/m contract mean that at the end of that time you keep the phone? I'm not somebody who changes phones each year to get that very latest, most high-tech model, this would be my 3rd phone in 6 years (Sony Ericsson W810i currently), so i'm looking to spend quite a lot on something that will last me a number of years, be cost-effective and not be eclipsed by a newer, more advanced, cheaper design in 6-12 months time.

Well that's made it easy ;)

My phone really is on its last legs (we're talking days here). I had a look at some HTC products, mainly the hero, but found i'd much rather have a phone that is fully touch screen for ease of use.

You talk about the Tesco Simplicity plan, but would the £320 and £20 p/m contract mean that at the end of that time you keep the phone? I'm not somebody who changes phones each year to get that very latest, most high-tech model, this would be my 3rd phone in 6 years (Sony Ericsson W810i currently), so i'm looking to spend quite a lot on something that will last me a number of years, be cost-effective and not be eclipsed by a newer, more advanced, cheaper design in 6-12 months time.

The Hero is fully touch screen; it has some buttons at the bottom but these don't prevent you from using the touch screen for everything. It's not very competitive price wise now though, especially when you look at the 'slow' 500mhz processor against the 1ghz processor on the Nexus One It's still on 'expensive' contracts with poor data allowances or £360 sim free. If they droppoed the price on it significantly due to the arrival of the Nexus One, it wouldn't be a bad option.

On the Tesco deal, the phone is yours. I don't know whether their contract continues rolling at the end of the 12 months or whether you are forced to go out and find another deal. You'd probably want to go and get a better value plan though as I expect you could get more minutes etc for the £20 per month. The PayG route plus simplicity sim is more expensive but you do get more minutes, it all depends on whether you need them I guess.

Based on your comment at the end about wanting the phone to not be eclipsed by newer designs etc, I stand by what I said about now being a bad time to buy a smartphone, expecially an iphone. I know there are always new models coming out but the reality is that the smartphone market has been relatively static over the past 12 months. Now things are going to get very interesting. We'll see the fruition of Android on handsets whilch truly rival the 3GS and Apple will try and counter that with something special in the new Iphone.

If you want to keep the phone for at least two years, why not wait for a couple of months or so and get something cutting edge? Even that handset will be old that two years down the line, but the 3gs will be even older!

Your hand may be forced if your phone is really about to die; I guess your options are a 12months iphone 3gs deal or getting a cheap pay and go phone to keep you going until you see what HTC, Apple et al announce over the next couple of months. The reality is that Apple are going to eclipse the 3gs with a newer, better phone in June. You need to decide if that will bother you or not.

Edited by sotonjoe

The Hero is fully touch screen; it has some buttons at the bottom but these don't prevent you from using the touch screen for everything. It's not very competitive price wise now though, especially when you look at the 'slow' 500mhz processor against the 1ghz processor on the Nexus One It's still on 'expensive' contracts with poor data allowances or £360 sim free. If they droppoed the price on it significantly due to the arrival of the Nexus One, it wouldn't be a bad option.

On the Tesco deal, the phone is yours. I don't know whether their contract continues rolling at the end of the 12 months or whether you are forced to go out and find another deal. You'd probably want to go and get a better value plan though as I expect you could get more minutes etc for the £20 per month. The PayG route plus simplicity sim is more expensive but you do get more minutes, it all depends on whether you need them I guess.

Based on your comment at the end about wanting the phone to not be eclipsed by newer designs etc, I stand by what I said about now being a bad time to buy a smartphone, expecially an iphone. I know there are always new models coming out but the reality is that the smartphone market has been relatively static over the past 12 months. Now things are going to get very interesting. We'll see the fruition of Android on handsets whilch truly rival the 3GS and Apple will try and counter that with something special in the new Iphone.

If you want to keep the phone for at least two years, why not wait for a couple of months or so and get something cutting edge? Even that handset will be old that two years down the line, but the 3gs will be even older!

Your hand may be forced if your phone is really about to die; I guess your options are a 12months iphone 3gs deal or getting a cheap pay and go phone to keep you going until you see what HTC, Apple et al announce over the next couple of months. The reality is that Apple are going to eclipse the 3gs with a newer, better phone in June. You need to decide if that will bother you or not.

Cheers for the advice, i've gone for the 3GS with O2 on a simplicity deal, so in the future if a better deal or handset is released I can change or end the contract with 30 days notice. This also gives me the option of selling the phone and hopefully regaining quite a bit of what I paid for it.

Typical unbiased view on Apple to the core Assurru, that he could'nt read past the first line of this site that slags of Windows as well as his precious Apple. And God help anyone in Assurru's world who wants to do anything for free, and not be tied to the corporates! lol@ the blinkered t@t

Ass your not Steve Jobs are you!:rolleyes:

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Cheers for the advice, i've gone for the 3GS with O2 on a simplicity deal, so in the future if a better deal or handset is released I can change or end the contract with 30 days notice. This also gives me the option of selling the phone and hopefully regaining quite a bit of what I paid for it.

Any particular reason for choosing the O2 route as opposed the Tesco one? I guess you decided you wanted the extra minutes?

Any particular reason for choosing the O2 route as opposed the Tesco one? I guess you decided you wanted the extra minutes?

Yeah for the £20 I managed to get 700 minutes, 1,400 texts and unlimited internet - Which for me would be far too much but i'd prefer that to being limited to an average 10 texts a day.

Well, the Tesco call charges are 20p / min and texts are 10p each. However, you do get half price calls and texts to your 5 favourite numbers, so that'a 10p/min and 5p/text.

For the sake of argument, let's stick with the standard prices and assume that our £60 monthly credit is going to be split evenply between calls and texts. We therefore have £30 to spend on calls and £30 to be spent on texts.

If my calculations are correct, that would work out to 150mins of calls and 300 texts.

So you'd get a fair bit less to play with but you've only spent £330 as opposed to £449 on the handset, so you've saved £119 up front.

Over the 12 months, that £119 is equivalent to an extra £9.91 per month so you're certainly paying for the extra minutes.

My advice is to make sure you use them, otherwise they will have been expensive! ;-)

Typical unbiased view on Apple to the core Assurru, that he could'nt read past the first line of this site that slags of Windows as well as his precious Apple. And God help anyone in Assurru's world who wants to do anything for free, and not be tied to the corporates! lol@ the blinkered t@t

Ass your not Steve Jobs are you!:rolleyes:

Calm down dear, it's only a phone.

Calm down dear, it's only a phone.

No, no, no, it's an Iphone :)

Having spent the last year converting from the horror that is windo$e, first to a macbook, then an imac and finally an iphone, I have to say I am very happy to be rid of the microsoft disaster - I still have a chuckle when Mrs WSS cusses and shout at her windo$e laptop that crashes most times that she loads up facebook :)

However, I would have one suggestion to make the iphone completely unbeatable, and that would be to give it a feminine side and allow it to multitask! If I'm busy doing something on the phone - sending an email or 'on the net' and receive a text, I would very much like to 'minimise' what I'm doing to send a reply, and then resume once I'm done.... Not a huge ask, and I'm hopeful this will be resolved in the next software update, but for now it is a little annoying.....

Enter the world of Jailbreaking, then you can run Apps in the background, trick it into thinking you're on wi-fi to watch BBC iPlayer and Sky Sports etc., customise the look, feel, add folders, Five Apps in launch bar, and much more. JBing was the second best thing I did... after buying the iPhone in the first place.

Blackra1n is the easiest way to do this.