The Ryder Cup

Hatch

I am really looking forward to this event.

Watching the opening ceremony now.

Faldo is going on a bit though.

So for the next 72 hours or so I am going to be a European.

RYDER CUP OPENING FOURSOMES

Mickelson/Kim v H'ngton/Karlsson

Leonard/Mahan v Stenson/Casey

Cink/Campbell v Rose/Poulter

Perry/Furyk v Westwood/Garcia

Edited by Hatch

me too. have had these 3 days cleared in my diary all year. get up, walk the dog, bit of brekkie, few bets on ladbroke.com, then get settled around 12.45, moving only for my team game saturday afternoon

cant wait, but think this ones going to be close. and you know who is going to get blamed by the papers if we lose by half a point on the 18th on Sunday

ps, mrs keith saw that my diary was clear for tommrow, so arranged for us to go to a ****ing wedding reception. in the words of johnny ball, think again

I cant see faldo's logic with the morning Foursomes. Think two of the pairings (Poulter/rose & stenson/casey) are more what i'd consider fourball pairings. Hansen and Jimmy are far steadier players so would have had them in.

Think those two pairings have the potential to either tear the US apart or implode dramatically. Lets hope its the former.

I think the Poulter/Rose pairing really has more to do with the fact they are friends that get on well together and seem to work when paired together.

This time round i am not so confident of europe winning i think Faldo will rub the yanks up the wrong way to much,and i have a feeling the atmosphere might get like Brookline when they invaded the green thinking they had won.

i disagree, if Poults and Rose are on the game, it will be a birdie fest.

And Sergio, an 8 & 0 record in the 4somes, roughly de americanised to won 8/8

3-1 Europe for morning foursomes.

Agree that if they play well it will be spectacular, so hope they do. Just fear that these two didn't carry a huge amount of form into this. Wary, but hopeful. Will be really interesting to see this afternoon's pairings considering Faldo has said that ideally he wants to get all 12 players out on day 1.

Good to see evidence of terrace humour gracing the pristine fairways of Valhalla....

1324: "The European fans are in good voice on the 1st tee, singing such classics as 'Walking in a Faldo wonderland' and 'Where's your Tiger gone?'. The US can only reply with 'USA, USA'."

Fourballs.

1745: Phil Mickelson and Anthony Kim v Padraig Harrington and Graeme McDowell

1800: Steve Stricker and Ben Curtis v Ian Poulter and Justin Rose

1815: Justin Leonard and Hunter Mahan v Sergio Garcia and Migual Angel Jimenez

1830: JB Holmes and Boo Weekley v Lee Westwood and Soren Hansen

What a wonderful weekend the Ryder Cup is.

Just lovin it!

10 hours a day of sitting at the tv, nothing REALLY happens, maybe a couple of bits of magic in each 3 hour stint, but BOY is it compelling. Even trying to cook something is fraught as the cheers come up on the telly and the omlette gets burnt (again)

Overall after the first days, it just seemed we didn't get the putters working as well as we could and we didn't have enough with Ian Poulters' focus & buzz out there.

Hats off though to Rose & McDowell for playing really well as rookies, hope Sergio is feeling better on his anti-biotics, Karlsson has started but keeps going and Ollie Wilson gets his game going again today.

Got a fresh case of Tsing Tao beer in (love it) and plenty of kettle chips for this evening, probably left ourselves too much to do in the singles but bring it on!

Certain players just didnt perform, Garcia springs to mind, while others couldnt get the ball in the hole, i.e Casey.

Shame

Yeah, well.. you can condemn Faldo for his picks like people do JP on the main board. Though Casey as a team wild card obviously didn't work.

Won it against the odds a few times previously.

The yanks won for the simple reason that they played better.

Faldo is getting slated but I don't think he could have done much else.

Well, for a start he could have selected Daren Clarke who has a good Ryder Cup record and won two events in the lead up to the tournament, and secondly he could put a lot more pressure on the weaker Americans at the end by putting his strongest form players out early and in the middle. Having them play at the end when the match was already lost was pretty pointless.

Well, for a start he could have selected Daren Clarke who has a good Ryder Cup record and won two events in the lead up to the tournament, and secondly he could put a lot more pressure on the weaker Americans at the end by putting his strongest form players out early and in the middle. Having them play at the end when the match was already lost was pretty pointless.

Most people thought Clarke should have been played instead of Poulter!

Poulter was easily our best player.

Faldo thought it would be close, and obviously decided on playing experienced guys at the end to bring the baton home

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

The yanks won for the simple reason that they played better.

Faldo is getting slated but I don't think he could have done much else.

Agreed. Poulter really responded to the challenge, and Casey was solid. The "big names" of Garcia, Westwood and Harrington didn't win a match between them. When that happens, what can you do?

I think the final margin of victory was wider than deserved, but when the result was known then I think the last 3/4 games trailed off.

Sundays performances to par.

Garcia +4 (after 14)

Casey -2 (after 18 )

Karlsson -4 (after 15)

Stenson -2 (after 16)

Westwood -4 (after 17)

Wilson -4 (after 16)

Hansen par (after 17)

Harrington +5 (after 17)

Jimenez par (after 17)

McDowell -5 (after 17)

Poulter -5 (after 16)

Rose -6 (after 16)

In summary, Garcia + Harrington = crap.

Most people thought Clarke should have been played instead of Poulter!

Poulter was easily our best player.

Faldo thought it would be close, and obviously decided on playing experienced guys at the end to bring the baton home

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

It wasn't really hindsight. It was obvious that we needed to get amongst it early on and in the middle, to pressurize the Americans. It was also quite obvious to most people that we probably weren't going to get as far as McDowell, Westwood, Harrington and Poulter as the USA only needed five and a half points in the singles to win. I think you have to give yourself a chance to win, which we didn't by loading the end.

That said, I agree that Westwood, Garcia and Harrington didn't really perform and without them firing it was always going to be difficult.