Don't take the P*ss

Dog

Not sure I see the problem. If a Muslim player can fast, serve his beliefs and still maintain his performances on the pitch then there wont be a problem. But if he is no longer the best choice for a position, why should he keep it?

I don't think this is religion related, it's simply about playing the best player in the best position at the time. If a player isn't as fit as another and can't perform as well, why should he keep his place?

Another top quality peice of journalism from the daily sh1te (rollyeye thing)

It's just another little story to highlight the 'threat' of Muslim's in this country to all the thick-as-pig-**** Birmingham City/Wolves etc skinheads.

Who cares if this guy starves himself during Ramadam? Muslim's have been doing that for longer than Christianity has even existed. It would be like a god-fearing Man U player not playing on Easter Sunday.

People in this ****ing country need to get some perspective!

(For the record, religion is a load of old ******** anyway!)

I'm not bothered about the ramadan thing.

The fact that the boss is being threatened with a fatwa for dropping the player is a joke!!

The fact is that he's not been threatened with anything at all. The piece claims that he risks facing a fatwa - to back this up they quote a single fan. So it's a nasty little bit of scaremongering, nothing more than that.

I don't see a problem with this. The player must be true to himself, so if he believes he must fast during Ramadan, then he must. If his manager thinks it is affecting his energy levels during playing, then he will relegate him off the first eleven.

Eric Liddell famously didn't run his heat [on a sunday] in the Olympics in Paris 1924. He was castigated, but he stuck to his belief. Whether anyone thinks he, or the Muslim footballer, had/have their priorities mixed up is neither here, nor there. I hold no religious belief myself, but I respect the right of people to have them.

Who cares if this guy starves himself during Ramadam? Muslim's have been doing that for longer than Christianity has even existed.

Don't disagree with your sentiments, but you need to brush up on your history. Muhammed was born around 570AD, might be a clue there that Moslems have not been fasting for longer than Christianity has existed. ;)

It's just another little story to highlight the 'threat' of Muslim's in this country to all the thick-as-pig-**** Birmingham City/Wolves etc skinheads.

Who cares if this guy starves himself during Ramadam? Muslim's have been doing that for longer than Christianity has even existed. It would be like a god-fearing Man U player not playing on Easter Sunday.

While I agree almost entirely with your post - I feel I should point out that Muslims have not been fasting for longer than Christianity existed. Islam stems from around the 7th century, whereas Christianity as a recognised faith can be traced to around the 1st century.

The manager has every right to drop people who are not 100% fit to play. The fact that his observation of Ramadan has not prevented him from getting a contract shows that this is not a religious prejudice. It's merely pragmatic, and I sincerely hope the player recognises that. Anyone with religious convictions must be aware of how their faith may impact on their career etc and make decisions with this in mind. Equally, employers etc take people on in the knowledge (or should do) of the implications of a faith on their business, etc. If I said that my religion prevents me from working 3 days out of 5, no-one would employ me. It would not be because of what I believe, but because of the practical requirements of a job and common business sense. Sure, you may have a few Islamic fundamentalist nutters who fail to see reason, just as you will have a few bigoted idiots who will be stirred up by this sensationalism - but I hope most people do see this is a non issue.

[Ah, OK, Vectis saint just got in first!]

Will he be threatened everytime this fella gets dropped then?

It is interesting though, we have 2 million Muslims living in Britain, yet we never see any breaking through into professional football

Taking their fascination of corner shops into account, I reckon they'd be wicked at set-pieces

For the record:

Christianity - monotheistic religion originating from the first century AD (AD = Anno Domini - "the year of our Lord")

Islam - monotheistic religion originating from the 7th century AD

On that basis its kind of difficult to see how "Muslim's (sic) have been doing that for longer than Christianity has even existed", no?

Always useful to base any argument or opinion on fact ;)

Will he be threatened everytime this fella gets dropped then?

It is interesting though, we have 2 million Muslims living in Britain, yet we never see any breaking through into professional football

Taking their fascination of corner shops into account, I reckon they'd be wicked at set-pieces

Some would suggest this may be due to institutional racism or lack of opportunity etc. To support this fact, these players are all supposedly Muslim, some less practising than others, I suspect, and none are from England.

- Omar Frederick Kanoute

- Zinedine Yazid Zidane

- Nicholas Anelka

- Khalid Boulahrouz

- Franck Bilal Ribery

- Mohammed 'Momo' Sissoko

- Radhi Abdel Majed Jaidi

- Hossam Ghaly

- Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam

- Kolo Abib Toure

- Yaya Toure

- Vasiriky Abou Diaby

- Mahamadou Diarra

- El Hadji Diouf

- Salomon Kalou

- Nihat Kahveci

- Diomansy Kamara

- Samir Nasri

- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

- Hassan Salihamidzic

Edited by Robsk II

Some would suggest this may be due to institutional racism or lack of opportunity etc.

I think the answer is a deep-rooted one (on both sides)

I don't disagree with institutional racism, but how many younger muslims are out there playing in local sides?

Their faith is considered more important than competing in westernised team sports

This is not a racist viewpoint, this is the view of a friend of mine (an Asian)

Well, I guess that's dependent on how.. hmm. How devoted they are, to what level they practice Islam and their interpretations of it. It's certainly the case that a lot of Muslims in this country are more devout than many Christians, and their faith carries with it certain requirements that may impact on a footballing career, it's true. On the other hand - I've seen a good number of young muslim players who are very talented, passionate about the game, via my jobs. This includes some who are currently observing Ramadan. So.. there must be a problem somewhere along the line. I'm sure we'd see at least a few more home grown Muslim players otherwise. The same applies to other religions I guess.

Guest Hacienda

As Islam is a younger religion than Christianity that's utter b o l l o x s.

Guest Hacienda
I think the answer is a deep-rooted one (on both sides)

I don't disagree with institutional racism, but how many younger muslims are out there playing in local sides?

Their faith is considered more important than competing in westernised team sports

This is not a racist viewpoint, this is the view of a friend of mine (an Asian)

In West Yorkshire they did have Muslim only teams/leagues.

Makes you think that some talent maybe going untapped.

It is rather strange that there aren't as many muslims breaking into professional football in the UK then in countries such as Germany, France, the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries. In these countries there's usually some homegrown muslim players in every team and the whole discussion about the ramadan having an effect on performances has been done ages ago. It does make you wonder a bit why there's less British muslims in football. I think it might have something to do with the high amount muslims from Indian and Pakistani decent. These countries have less of a football culture then countries like Turkey, Marocco, Algeria, the Balkan states, etc. and this is where most of the muslims in the previously mentioned countries come from.

That's a fairly good point Martini, but even then, growing up here you'd think there would be more uptake. I would still say there is interest, but.. yeah. it gets lost somewhere. I also know they have had / do have Muslim only leagues. Not entirely sure what I make of that. I suppose it could have a negative effect on quality in many ways, purely because the pool of coaches etc might be limited and the footballing culture would be different.

Guest Hacienda
I think it might have something to do with the high amount muslims from Indian and Pakistani decent. These countries have less of a football culture then countries like Turkey, Marocco, Algeria, the Balkan states, etc. and this is where most of the muslims in the previously mentioned countries come from.

That is a very interesting point.

What a load of cr*p from the star.

By the way muslims come in all shapes, sizes and flavours.

There are muslims in the middle east [not just 'westernized ones'] that observe Ramadan by eating and drinking during daylight in darkened rooms with the curtains drawn.

Maybe it is so the religious police wont catch them LOL.

Also, the rule relates to the rising of the moon, and this morning for example it was possible to see the moon in daylight.

What a load of cr*p from the star.

By the way muslims come in all shapes, sizes and flavours.

There are muslims in the middle east [not just 'westernized ones'] that observe Ramadan by eating and drinking during daylight in darkened rooms with the curtains drawn.

Maybe it is so the religious police wont catch them LOL.

Also, the rule relates to the rising of the moon, and this morning for example it was possible to see the moon in daylight.

Many footballers in the Netherlands make up for not doing the ramadan during the season in the summer. Apperently its a rule that if your profession makes it impossible to do the ramadan at a certain time you can do it later that year.