Top goalscorers....

B Rabbit

Seems to be some discrepancy somewhere, the Football League stats have been updated since todays game and gives Lambert's total as 20, not 21. Looking in different places on the web seems to give several different answers, but the Football League site is presumably the official source.

By the way, seem to recall that Davies and Channon were also both near top of goal scoring chart one season back in the 60s, but can't be sure (and that was in the top division and all goals scored for Saints)

Seems to be some discrepancy somewhere, the Football League stats have been updated since todays game and gives Lambert's total as 20, not 21. Looking in different places on the web seems to give several different answers, but the Football League site is presumably the official source.

I think there's confusion over who was awarded our second goal in the league game against Bristol Rovers. Lambert's header crossed the line, Papa Waigo made sure, but on the night the goal was given to Papa Waigo.

By the way, seem to recall that Davies and Channon were also both near top of goal scoring chart one season back in the 60s, but can't be sure (and that was in the top division and all goals scored for Saints)

Sounds nice.. but my memory plays tricks on me, too. Vectis.

Of course Ron Davies had those two BIG seasons when he was leading scorer in Div.1 (Prem) 37 goals in 66/67 ahead of Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves, Allan Clarke and Denis Law ..and Martin Chivers weighed in with 22 that same year.

The following year Ron scored 28 (tied with George Best) but it was that season that Chivers left for Spurs. Channon didn't get established until the late 1968 when he and Ron began scoring 25-30 TOGETHER quite regularly, but never hit the top scorers table. It was only in the early 1970's when Ron was out injured more often than he played, and then Channon really came into his own and began scoring 20+every season (after Ron left in 1973).

Anyway it was great watching ...and like you I always seemed to think that it was a rare game when at least one of them didn't score. Great days !

Lets not forget that Barnard's goals were for Southend and a large amount were pens- Lambo too has accumulated a bunch of pens. Obviously, if both had been with us, one but not the other would have taken them.

Lets also not forget, Barnard was playing for a poor Southend team that wouldn't have created many chances for him.

Was remembering the Ron & Channon days but didn't we have a similar situation with Boyer & MacDougall?

Just back from a week-long trade show so not time to look...should I be here!? Bad enough missing out on the last 2 matches!

Edited by dronskisaint
spelling (again!)

Was remembering the Ron & Channon days but didn't we have a similar situation with Boyer & MacDougall?

Just back from a week-long trade show so not time to look...should I be here!? Bad enough missing out on the last 2 matches!

Boyer and MacDougall seemed to have played together forever in many teams,but Boyer started as a junior at Derby and MacD. at Liverpool and York.

They first came together at Bournemouth in 1970 but were separated when MacD had an indifferent year at Man.Utd before moving onto Norwich in 1973 and was joined by Boyer in 1974 where they carried on their tremendous partnership.

MacD was first to come to saints in Sept.76, and Boyer came a year later.

They actually played together for Saints for about 15 months although it seemed much longer at the time. As with all " journeyman" they eventually move on. Mac D moved to Bournemouth a second time but Boyer stayed until Nov.1980 before moving to Man.City after Channon had returned.

During their Saints days they scored regularly Boyer 162 games yielding 61 goals and MacD 105 games scoring 48 times. A great time

The one great mystery of their careers is that with so many goals between them they never played more internationals. MacD got only 1 cap and Boyer 7.

Sounds nice.. but my memory plays tricks on me, too. Vectis.

Of course Ron Davies had those two BIG seasons when he was leading scorer in Div.1 (Prem) 37 goals in 66/67 ahead of Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves, Allan Clarke and Denis Law ..and Martin Chivers weighed in with 22 that same year.

The following year Ron scored 28 (tied with George Best) but it was that season that Chivers left for Spurs. Channon didn't get established until the late 1968 when he and Ron began scoring 25-30 TOGETHER quite regularly, but never hit the top scorers table. It was only in the early 1970's when Ron was out injured more often than he played, and then Channon really came into his own and began scoring 20+every season (after Ron left in 1973).

Anyway it was great watching ...and like you I always seemed to think that it was a rare game when at least one of them didn't score. Great days !

Cheers David. The old memory is seriously letting me down these days. I suspect I was thinking of the Chivers season rather than Mick :)