Help Please: Brian O'Neil Picture For Big Ron

TijuanaTim

Ron is going to do a picture of Brian O'Neil and the only reference photos he has are good but very small. Can anyone post a link or pm me with a decent sized shot of the player who Ron describes as "The best player he has ever seen - in the mud!!"

As far as Ron Himself goes, we was thrilled about our big win at the weekend. We have it sorted so that he can now watch a few games from home. This week he watched City beat Chelsk...realize that he is sharp as you like but somewhat out of touch with the modern game. He was astounded that both teams had Itallian coaches. He lied his countryman Bellamy's performance.

While chatting we talked about former 'keepers. He loved Eric but wished he was a bit bigger and more dominant. He said if you could have to put all the qualities of our three Scots goalies (McClaren, Martin and Forsythe) we'd have had a good number 1. He did joke that McClaren was so late and slow diving for some shots that the ref booked him for time wasting. His comment about Campbell was, he went to the doctor with a cold and the doc said 'Thank Christ, at last you've finally caught something!!'...he was just kidding of course.

Ron is well, he is very mobile, his car and new hips have given him a new lease of life. His only problem is breathing, he has oxygen at home to help him in that area.

TT... Ask Ron the Nod if he remembers doing some caricature drawing of Saints players on metal called METALPICS.

He gave the templates to my Mum for me early 70s.

Unfortunately they were stolen in a burglary. :(

Coincidentally, About the same time, whilst we were losing 8-0 to Everton I was visiting Buddha in hospita after he broke his leg playing for Saints. He was listening to the results on the radio.

TT... Ask Ron the Nod if he remembers doing some caricature drawing of Saints players on metal called METALPICS.

He gave the templates to my Mum for me early 70s.

Unfortunately they were stolen in a burglary. :(

Coincidentally, About the same time, whilst we were losing 8-0 to Everton I was visiting Buddha in hospita after he broke his leg playing for Saints. He was listening to the results on the radio.

FFS wow? Yeah, I'll ask him about the 'engravings' (is that right?)

Anyone else Tim, ask now while I'm 'in the zone' as it were....

Steve...no, but thanks!! That excellent shot is in the care of the US Postal Service, on it's merry way to New Mexico!! What a SuperSaint you are mush, that is a huge help.

Just a friendly word of warning. Companies like Getty can be right b*st*rds when it comes to copyright and even a pencil drawn reproduction (or hotlinking the image as has already occurred in this thread) could be considered in breach.

It might be worth approaching the Echo to see if they have anything in their archive they're prepared to release to help a local hero.

Just a friendly word of warning. Companies like Getty can be right b*st*rds when it comes to copyright and even a pencil drawn reproduction (or hotlinking the image as has already occurred in this thread) could be considered in breach.

It might be worth approaching the Echo to see if they have anything in their archive they're prepared to release to help a local hero.

Good advice. Would probably be a good idea to remove that Getty image forthwith.

Yeah nice one Al, we'll use the other one then, thanks mate.

That's clever!

:smt041

Ta. The work-in-progress is coming along. It is quite boring to do, but the outcome is often worth it. Click on the thumbnail for an update.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone have any idea who we're playing there..? That opposition strip is the same colour throughout, so that's a clue. Of course, if you can identify the background player, then go to the head of the class.

Brian O'Neil-colour.jpg

Edited by St Landrew

Managed to work out who the other team in the picture is yet?

Nope.

I'm been thinking of club's home strips that didn't clash, and club's away strips, for those that did, from back in 1972-73. At least I've managed to get the right season.

I can't recognise the player either. I'm usually good for remembering faces too.

Ta. The work-in-progress is coming along. It is quite boring to do, but the outcome is often worth it. Click on the thumbnail for an update.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone have any idea who we're playing there..? That opposition strip is the same colour throughout, so that's a clue. Of course, if you can identify the background player, then go to the head of the class.

Is it Steve Cotteril in the background?

Edit- although thinking about it, he may be a bit young

Newcastle I reckon...maybe Chelsea?

Now that IS a good shout. I think their away strip was all brown [or blue], because I remember thinking, at the time, that both Newcastle strips were crap, as always.

How about Irving Nattrass as a guess for the player. How about that for storing trivia in the old grey matter..? ;)

EDIT: Chelsea wore white socks.

Now that IS a good shout. I think their away strip was all brown [or blue], because I remember thinking, at the time, that both Newcastle strips were crap, as always.

How about Irving Nattrass as a guess for the player. How about that for storing trivia in the old grey matter..? ;)

EDIT: Chelsea wore white socks.

Having just looked at a few photos of him, I'd say that's a good shout.

Ron Davies.

Thank you very much fhS. The OP didn't give a surname so I didn't know.

What a waste of a third of your posts for today, Norway.

You are allowed to be helpful as a moderator, if you like. Did you take the job just so that you can criticise people? I expect better from you.

Thank you very much fhS. The OP didn't give a surname so I didn't know.

You are allowed to be helpful as a moderator, if you like. Did you take the job just so that you can criticise people? I expect better from you.

I was only kidding. Forgot to put the necessary smiley on.

EDIT: BTW, I finished my Brian O'Neil pic. I gave up on the player for the opposition. He was probably in away colours anyway, and I can't remember who vaguely played in what, for which club, for about two games, back in 1973. So here's Brian coming away with the ball, against Newcastle United [we think] in season 1972-73. Note the crowd clothing is still greyed out. This is because crowds didn't wear the shirt back then, and anyway, they are in the distance, so colours would be much less intense. Besides, people wore duller clothes back then. That's my excuse, for not colouring them, anyhow.

Brian O'Neil-colour.jpg

Edited by St Landrew
Finished Picture