Ball Boys Tonight

Docker Walker6

Once again they cannot do the simple thing of having only one ball on the

pitch at one time. As a result the Multi Ball system was withdrawn before HT.

Somebody needs to sort it out!

I thought it was funny that SD had not noticed as he started to give his

'Football League have given us approval to use the multiball' at HT and was

cut off in mid sentence, by the short guy who is supposed to organise the

B/B.

The ballboy to the right of the dugouts showed a great bit of skill last night.

Fonte hoofed the ball out high for a throw in, the ballboy controlled it with his instep as it dropped and calmly caught it in both hands.

He got a round of applause from the Itchen.

Well done nipper.

Pretty sure the only way you can "withdraw" multiball is at the ref's insistence if he believes it's being used unfairly.

Also fairly sure that once you say you're using multiball you have to for the whole season.

Fonte hoofed the ball out high for a throw in, the ballboy controlled it with his instep as it dropped and calmly caught it in both hands.

Well done nipper.

Loved the fan that caught the ball on the volley from a high clearance and booted it back up the pitch, sheer class, sign him up

At the game V Walsall the ref nearly disallowed our first goal because some moron fan threw a ball back onto the pitch just before we scored. FACT.

Not actual FACT as the ref saw it and allowed play to go on, but there was a ball thrown onto the pitch just before the goal and it would have been annoying as hell if he'd chosen to stop the game (reasonably enough), but luckily we went up the other wing and the spare was never in play.

Anyway, everyone knows the way to slow the game down with multiball is for someone in the crowd to keep hold of the ball then sling it on the pitch just as the restart is about to occur.

Not actual FACT as the ref saw it and allowed play to go on, but there was a ball thrown onto the pitch just before the goal and it would have been annoying as hell if he'd chosen to stop the game (reasonably enough), but luckily we went up the other wing and the spare was never in play.

Anyway, everyone knows the way to slow the game down with multiball is for someone in the crowd to keep hold of the ball then sling it on the pitch just as the restart is about to occur.

Read my post again - it is a FACT as I said he "nearly" disallowed the goal. By the letter of the law he should have, but obviously he knew he would get crucified.

Well done nipper.

Think I saw that from the Northam. I thought he just made a good catch rather than foot control. Looked like AP had a word too...

Read my post again - it is a FACT as I said he "nearly" disallowed the goal. By the letter of the law he should have, but obviously he knew he would get crucified.

it cannot be fact unless you have spoken to the ref and he confirmed it, otherwise you are simply basing your statement on your assumptions

I read it the first time, he didn't "nearly" do anything as a "fact", you may as well have said he "nearly did a handstand". He didn't.

it cannot be fact unless you have spoken to the ref and he confirmed it, otherwise you are simply basing your statement on your assumptions

Well he looked around at the ball, lifted his whistle to his lips and then talked through his microphone to the fourth official before walking back to the half way line. What else was it going to be?

I have very mixed feelings about 'multi-ball' (nothing else really doctor, just multi-ball).

It's great if you can play it, the ref can play it, the ball boys are sorted, and the crowd do their part - it's pretty pants when any one of these components falls down.

I did have a small moment during the Pompey game when I remarked that the game was so much better without using multi-play. Obviously other factors were in play as well (derby, Prem oppo, big atmos etc. etc.) but I did think it was a much better to game to watch with the natural rhythm and flow and more shape and structure, and the occaisional pause for breath and for both teams to re-adjust and start a new phase of play.

I'm not against it per-se (hence my 'mixed feelings') but I do think sometimes multi-ball just adds to the hurly-burly at this level and as alluded to above, to the crowd's (and the ref's!) frustration. In an Alan Partridge headmaster stylee, that clot who threw the ball on the pitch on Saturday placed the referee in a very invidious position!

Well he looked around at the ball, lifted his whistle to his lips and then talked through his microphone to the fourth official before walking back to the half way line. What else was it going to be?

"Don't forget to add 30 seconds on for the goal" ?

Did anyone see the ball ball chuck the ball at the face of their player. It looked like he was expecting the ballboy to bounce him the ball, but he lobbed it at his melon. The player then lost his rag which was truly funny as f***. Good work young man.

Well done nipper.

I saw that. It was a cracking bit of control.

After his moment of skill, with applause rippling around the Itchen, he turned to look at AP, who had seen the whole thing and gave a nod of approval.

Must have made the lad's day!

probably letting the lino know he had spotted a fit bird in the crowd just behind him and she was worth a look