40 days and 40 nights...

StuRomseySaint

... anyone put themselves on a self-enforced detox before?

I have decided that I should give my body a rest from beer, cigs and filthy fat women for a while, so from the day after the Wembley game, I am going to go 40 days without.

I haven't gone this long without any of them for probably 15 years. Is this realistic?

I have told everyone now... so I guess I have to do it. :confused:

Always used to take January off from drinking.

It isnt as bad as you think, although your mates will seem very loud, when you go out. Never did it with the fags as well so fair play.

The first pint you have ... you will **** three (that all gets a bit weird)

Have only managed 2 weeks without drinking, thats pretty harsh.

Mind you i just went through 48 hours juice fast, where all i did was drink freshly squeezed fruit juice and drink water, no food.

That was f*cking harsh, i was trying to make it to 72 hours but felt like absolute crap at around the 36 hours mark.

Apparantly though a 3 day fast is all you need to flush the system of everything.

TBH 40 days and 40 nights is pretty harsh without alcohol ;)

I am going to blog a diary I think... to go from drinking/smoking daily for 12 years to nothing for 40 days with no help... :-/

I also gonna lose a stone in that time... I am doing the Great South Run in October so I need to get my arse in gear and get fit for that.

I have told as many people as possible that I am going to do it to give me more motivation.

This will be easy. I was going to wait till after Easter weekend but I have decided to bring it forward to the Tuesday after Wembley.

Detoxes and diets are just faddy bullsh:t ideas created for people that can't be arsed to live a normal healthy lifestyle. There is no quick fix to being healthy. Just eat the right food in the right proportions 6 days out of 7. Lay off the booze midweek. Continue to have a blow out on the Friday or Saturday night. Do lots of speed. And just watch the weight fall off. The liver is a self repairing organ anyway and it certainly doesn't take 40 days to get over a battering. Stop being a queer and have a damn beer.

I have decided that I should give my body a rest from beer, cigs and filthy fat women for a while, so from the day after the Wembley game, I am going to go 40 days without.

I think that is too much of an ask, I understand the beer and cigarettes but the filthy fatties ?? ridiculous, you have set too much of a task for yourself, the other two are achievable but you are surrounded by the temptation of the other !!

Detoxes and diets are just faddy bullsh:t ideas created for people that can't be arsed to live a normal healthy lifestyle. There is no quick fix to being healthy. Just eat the right food in the right proportions 6 days out of 7. Lay off the booze midweek. Continue to have a blow out on the Friday or Saturday night. Do lots of speed. And just watch the weight fall off. The liver is a self repairing organ anyway and it certainly doesn't take 40 days to get over a battering. Stop being a queer and have a damn beer.

It's not a detox... nor is it a diet...

I am doing 40 days off the booze as it is linked in to my smoking, I am a social smoker and only feel the need to smoke when having a beer... so if I don't drink for 40 days it will sort out the smoking too.

I think that is too much of an ask, I understand the beer and cigarettes but the filthy fatties ?? ridiculous, you have set too much of a task for yourself, the other two are achievable but you are surrounded by the temptation of the other !!

The fatties are a direct result of the beer though, I am hoping the lack of drunkeness will help stem off the fatties.

... anyone put themselves on a self-enforced detox before?

It's not a detox... nor is it a diet...

I am doing 40 days off the booze as it is linked in to my smoking, I am a social smoker and only feel the need to smoke when having a beer... so if I don't drink for 40 days it will sort out the smoking too.

Sounds like a detox to me.

Sounds like a homo idea too.

Turn it into something a bit special Stu, and do a feature on here. I'd like to read of your progress, and what the lack of things are doing to you.

Back in May 2005 I gave up cigarettes because... well I had to. I wouldn't be here, I think, if I hadn't. In early January, this year, I drastically reduced my alcohol consumption to maybe a couple of glasses of wine per week, or less. I honestly don't feel any different, which is odd because I did drink quite heartily.

I've never really over-eaten, or eaten crap, junk food like MacDonald's. I've had the odd bit of KFC, but that's about it.

So I'd be really interested, and I'm sure plenty of others would too. Perhaps you could write a blog.

Turn it into something a bit special Stu, and do a feature on here. I'd like to read of your progress, and what the lack of things are doing to you.

Back in May 2005 I gave up cigarettes because... well I had to. I wouldn't be here, I think, if I hadn't. In early January, this year, I drastically reduced my alcohol consumption to maybe a couple of glasses of wine per week, or less. I honestly don't feel any different, which is odd because I did drink quite heartily.

I've never really over-eaten, or eaten crap, junk food like MacDonald's. I've had the odd bit of KFC, but that's about it.

So I'd be really interested, and I'm sure plenty of others would too. Perhaps you could write a blog.

I was thinking of blogging it actually, and going to the Docs on day 1 and getting a full health MOT and then again on day 40... I would be quite interested to see the results and to see how much difference can be made in a 40 day period.

I think I will notice a difference on the drink side of things... I have been absolutely hammering the drink the last 3 months or so... numerous 14-16 hour drinking sessions when Saints are at home etc.

I am going to mix in the non beering with an exercise programme as well... I think I might follow the 'body for life' programme ( although do half of it ). So will speak to the PT's at David Lloyd about sorting that out.

Fad dieting and detox is indeed a load of ****... but by cutting out beer for a short period and subsituting it with the gym, I think that you would be surprised just how much can be achieved in that time.

Stu's the Ricky Hatton of SWF

Well there is a good example of someone who turns it round in about the same period... now I am not trying to say I will be training anywhere near as hard as him... but you would be amazed what can be achieved in such a short space of time.

I saw Stu last Saturday before the Walsall game. He was getting a taxi (well, there were two, one for a group of four, one for a group of three), presumably to the pub.

Perhaps if you walked to the pub things wouldn't be so bad?

All the very best.

I saw Stu last Saturday before the Walsall game. He was getting a taxi (well, there were two, one for a group of four, one for a group of three), presumably to the pub.

Perhaps if you walked to the pub things wouldn't be so bad?

All the very best.

To be fair, the Plume is a good 10 minute walk, or a 5 minute drive.

Was a no-brainer.

Were you one of the cabbies? You didn't say hello? :-(

To be fair, the Plume is a good 10 minute walk, or a 5 minute drive.

Was a no-brainer.

Were you one of the cabbies? You didn't say hello? :-(

No, I got off the same train as your group and was exiting the station at the same time, hence I overheard the cab-related conversion as I walked past.

I was thinking of calling you a "fat b*stard", but that would only have delayed my trip to the pub.

No, I got off the same train as your group and was exiting the station at the same time, hence I overheard the cab-related conversion as I walked past.

I was thinking of calling you a "fat b*stard", but that would only have delayed my trip to the pub.

Devastated. You must be on what ( we like to call ) the beer train each week then? Ooooh , how fun.

I've been off the beer since the Yeovil home game. It's easy to stay off it. Let's face it, the majority of people are sheep and only drink to be cool. Lager tastes like ****, deep down a lot of people would admit they don't even like beer, if they were totally honest.

I've been off the beer since the Yeovil home game. It's easy to stay off it. Let's face it, the majority of people are sheep and only drink to be cool. Lager tastes like ****, deep down a lot of people would admit they don't even like beer, if they were totally honest.

Lager is rough. I actually enjoy a pint of cider (oooh-arrr) but after my birthday binge session on Tuesday I am considering laying off the alcohol for a while. It only helps to make a complete twt of myself and then I feel rough the next day.

Next time I go out I might do it sober, for the first time in my life. It can't be all that bad?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am going to have a warm up run between now and Wembley, I have realise now the ridiculous amount of beers I get through on a matchday... for the purpose of the blog I am going to do... I tried to keep track of the amount of alcohol consumed on Saturday and was quite shocked.

By 2:45pm I had consumed 8 pints of beer.

Another 2 pints at half-time.

2 more in the pub after then up to Que Pasa, 2 Mojhitos and 3 bottles of WKD ( I was bloated so needed a rest )... Then at 7pm off to Players in Totton for the rest of the night... I lost track of how many beers I had drunk by this point. I would say at a conservative estimate, it must have been another 8 or so, was in there for 5 hours.

I am sure that is not good for your body.

Edited by StuRomseySaint

I did two months off the booze from Jan 2nd to March 2nd this year, have to say I didn't really miss it as much as I thought I would! Also had a sensible eating stint during that too, wasn't quite as strict as I'd planned to be, as I was going to do it for the whole two months too, but did me good all the same, and also saved me a hella lot of money!

Now I've got my holiday and birthday out of the way, back to the plan. Only exception will be Wembley.

Stu, the beer and cigs is certainly a laudable initiative. But is not the fat girls bit a little selfish?

After all, fuller figured ladies need a little love too, you know

The non-fatties kind of go with my drinking, the more ****ed I get, the more my standards drop, so they tend to go hand in hand.

I can honestly say I never thought I would see the day when you admit to drinking WKD.

See it's people like you and Stevo that are the fags... I don't drink certain drinks because they are fashionable or to look cool... I drink them to help me get smashed.

At that point I had downed 12 pints of fizzy lager and felt a bit bloated so switched to some coctails then a couple of WKDS before switching back on to the beers. - It's called drinking responsibly. :cool:

WKD is for 16-21yr old women.

People judging what people should and shouldn't drink at losers that have to follow the crowd as they have no personality themselves. Now I am not saying I normally drink WKD because I like the taste of beerm much more... but 3 bottles for £5 was an offer not to be refused.