Battle of the sevens.

Pilchards

I was playing footy with my nipper today and every time he scored a cracker he would do a mad celebration screaming the name Ricky Lambert.

Now its got me thinking as I recover from the run out.

My era it was Matty this and Matty that.

Other than the loyalty which Le Tiss holds easily, who would be the best free kick taker, penalty taker, poacher and finally who scored the most spectacular goals?

Edited by Pilchards

Other than MLT...

Penalties - Beattie, Pahars and Vignal all have 100% records.

Free kicks - Bale, Lambert or Beattie

Spectacular - Loads of players had odd moments of brilliance.

Poacher - Rasiak fits that stereotype.

Penalties - MLT,closely followed by David Peach

Free kicks - MLT,in more recent times Bale,although I recall Channon curving one round a wall in an evening fixture

Spectacular - MLT,and Channon

Poacher - Ted MacDougall,and Steve Moran ( both only for a season or so though).Older relatives speak highly of both Derek Reeves and George O'Brian though.

Please don't forget two other important categories:

Headed goals - Big Ron ( no one else comes close)

Celebration - Channon

Looking at it from a "kid wheeling away in celebration chanting a players name" point of view from my youth .....

Penalties .... always met with a sense of fear as we were pretty unreliable till Peachy came along.

Free Kicks ...... English teams didn't score from Free Kicks .... only foreign teams in The World Cup did this .... FACT :D

Spectacular .... as above for free kicks :cool: (although once in a blue moon Bobby Charlton would hit a screamer from the edge of the peno box on match of the day, and also some bloke playing for Hereford did against Newcastle? in teh FA Cup).

Poacher .... probably Chivers. Channon's were more often on breakaways and mazy runs. Big Ron's were of course more often than not headers (hence next category) Not until the days of Boyer, SuperMac or Steve Moran did we have a consistent goal poacher in the mould of Jimmy greaves.

New category ..... headed goals ... only one contender ....Big Ron. I think we used to get more excited at the award of a corner than of a penalty back then :p

Is Pilchards an ex pat? Dewy-eyed reminiscing of a golden MLT era :-)

For me it's fantastic that kids now scream the names of OUR players again, could never see that during the age of the McGoaldroughts or the Poles. And thank heavens it isn't Rooney that he screams.

For us, it will always be MLT for the goals, Paine for his all round play, but for the kids, in 10 or 15 years time they'll all be on here comparing RL to one of their current class mates

My 7yr old son plays for Jubilee 77 in Fareham and in training last Wednesday slotted one home, wheeled away shouting 'number 7 Rickieeee Lamberrrrrrt' which was lost on all of his team mates who are Skates or Chelsea.

I'm one for praising GEORGE O'BRIEN...180 goals in 6½ seasons. (1959-65)

Mind you he'd also be in the running for the LAZIEST player. George would never run more than 10 yards for the ball, but once he got possessson he'd have a shot at goal 25-30 yards, left foot or right ...no problem. As many small men, he was quick and deadly in the six yard box....and put away a few penalties in his time, too.

Great shame these old heroes aren't on film to watch.There was no MOTD till about 1970.

My eight year old had a choice of names for his no 7 saints top and went with Le Tiss over Lambert. He loves watching Le tiss goals. When ever we go to the park for a kick around we have to pratice that free kick were Le Tiss flicks it up and hits it on the volley. Sadly for my boy his manager at Wyvern Saints thinks he's a much better RB than a midfielder (I have to agree) so he has no chance to put his free kicks into action on the pitch.

I'm one for praising GEORGE O'BRIEN...180 goals in 6½ seasons. (1959-65)

Mind you he'd also be in the running for the LAZIEST player. George would never run more than 10 yards for the ball, but once he got possessson he'd have a shot at goal 25-30 yards, left foot or right ...no problem. As many small men, he was quick and deadly in the six yard box....and put away a few penalties in his time, too.

Great shame these old heroes aren't on film to watch.There was no MOTD till about 1970.

I know his grandson through friends, met him a few times so always hear about what a great player O'Brien was, will ask if he's got any old tapes of his grandad, surely unlikely though?