Lee Barnard

Sour Mash

Why the f**k is he ALWAYS taken off? Usually around the 60th/70th minute? He's been our best attacking threat for the last couple of months. Doesn't look anymore tired than any of the other players. Last night was a case in point, why not take off Puncheon or Lallana for Waigo?

So pleased Connolly is back - hopefully he'll stay fit and do the business as a super sub. Total class.

I do agree it's odd Barnard keeps coming off nomatter what. If we need a goal I'd rather he sacrificed Lallana to bring on Waigo but to get Connolly on he's obviously going to have to take off Barnard or Lambert, or the 3 would get in each other's way. Difficult to take either RL or LB off considering the way they are playing so it'll just be a matter of who looks tired come 60-70 mins.

To be honest i didn't think Barnard did anything last night...he hardly got a look in and did lots of running around with not much to show for it.

Connolly came on and had instant impact.

Is still think Connolly is probably our best player and will start ahead of Barnard when fully fit.

In the Leeds game I was thinking hmm, we need to get Barnard off and get Waigo on. About 2 minutes later, it happened. He was constantly out muscled and looked a bit knackered. The referee seemed to have a bit of a disliking for him too. That said, I've never agreed with what a manager has done before so I was almost a bit concerned. Normally I think there should be a sub, and the person I would have subbed goes on to score a hat trick.

Its been bothering me for a while. AP's plan 'B' is to bring on Waigo to add some pace, but Waigo is offside more than he is on & Barnard looked a lot more of a threat at Tranmere than Lambert did, but he is untouchable.

I feel for the lad & IMHO I dont think AP is handling him very well. VFTP reckons he has to 'like it or lump it', but different people respond differently to different styles of management.

He has had a full 90 minutes once for us & that was against Norwich.

He obviously had to change it last night - it wasn't working, and we still needed Rickie's height and vision. Could have tried taking off Puncheon, as he was really poor last night, and put Papa wide right, then if it didn't work put him in the middle. Overall, can't blame him for changing it.

I wonder if AP has told him to work his ******** off for 70mins and then he will bring him off.

It does seem that every game, no matter how well or not he is playing, that he gets taken off, maybe it is something pre-agreed. Wasn't his best performance last night, but he's been excellent in the last month or so, definitely our biggest goal scoring threat, so why take him off?

It does seem that every game, no matter how well or not he is playing, that he gets taken off, maybe it is something pre-agreed. Wasn't his best performance last night, but he's been excellent in the last month or so, definitely our biggest goal scoring threat, so why take him off?

because he wasnt getting a look in?

because he wasnt getting a look in?

My point is more in general, than just regarding last night. He's been our best goal threat for over a month, but only plays two-thirds of every game. And anyway, you telling me Puncheon was better in the 2nd half than Barnard?

Anonymous last night compared to Connolly.

I am hoping he wasn't out of his depth.

Between the Norwich games (when he scored both goals) and upto Tranmere, Barnard had scored 5 in 6 games. Not Bad ?

Being the front man takes a lot out of you and he must have been suffering after 70 mins.

Bringing on Papa Waigo (who had often scored as a sub.) was a good move, fresh legs and a new challenge for the defenders.

Strikers don't score every week..in fact Lambert hasn't scored in the last 3 games and has only got 2 goals in the last 7 games, but I don't see anyone suggesting he's not upto it. Lallana has netted only once in the last 8 games (good /bad ?)

Edited by david in sweden