Where we lost it.

Weston Saint

A great season (after our disasterous start and the -10) has left us all wanting more but where did we lose out on a playoff place.

Below are the teams in present league order with points gained and goals scored (Saints figures first)

Norwich - 4-1 (4-2)

Leeds – 3-3 (1-1)

Millwall – 2-2 (2-2)

Swindon – 0-6 (0-2)

Charlton – 4-1 (2-1)

Huddersfield – 3-3 (6-3)

Colchester – 1-4 (1-2)

Bristol Rovers - 3-3 (7-4)

Brentford – 2-2 (2-2)

MK Dons – 6-0 (6-1)

Walsall – 6-0 (8-2)

Brighton – 1-4 (3-5)

Carlisle – 4-1 (4-3)

Oldham – 4-1 (3-1)

Hartlepool – 6-0 (6-3)

Yeovil – 6-0 (3-0)

Leyton Orient - 4-1 (4-3)

Exeter – 4-1 (4-2)

Gillingham- 3-0 (4-1) incomplete

Tranmere – 3-3 (4-2)

Wycombe – 4-1 (1-0)

Southend – 3-0 (3-1) incomplete

Stockport – 4-1 (3-1)

Interesting feature is we have scored against all teams over home and away apart from Swindon. More worrying is that only Yeovil & Wycombe failed to score against us so room for improvement perhaps.

Swindon, Colchester and Brighton are the only teams who scored more against us than we did against them, home/away combined.

We gained 34 points out of a possible 66 from teams in the first 12 positions (11 teams excluding ourselves) 51.5%

We gained 46 points out of 66 from teams in bottom 12 (exl Gillingham away and Southend home to come) 70%

Where did we really lose it? Brighton, Swindon and Tranmere stand out but it was deninately the -10 that did it for us this season.

Well done to the Team and Management.

The pressure will be to maintain the momentum next season. We are always going to have silly results but good teams can absorb them by consistant performances.

Edited by Weston Saint

I thought the series of away draws after Xmas -Millwall, Brentford, Exeter, Wycombe- knocked the stuffing out of us (esp as we took the lead in three of the four).

But Swindon was arguably the clincher, though I never stopped hoping till after the Oldham result.

Testimony to this year's achievements is that we largely managed to overcome the poor start.

your points total comes to 79, but we're on 70. You're missing a point somewhere.

Yep, Millwall should be 2-2.

Without the -10 and the bad start nobody would be worried about the few slip ups which, for every other good team, is just part of the game. Unfortunately we were left in a position where we had to be almost invincible and despite giving it a good go, it was always a tall order. I'm very much looking forward to next season.

I thought the series of away draws after Xmas -Millwall, Brentford, Exeter, Wycombe- knocked the stuffing out of us (esp as we took the lead in three of the four).

But Swindon was arguably the clincher, though I never stopped hoping till after the Oldham result.

Testimony to this year's achievements is that we largely managed to overcome the poor start.

Agree with all your points. The FA Cup and JPT matches caused team line-up instability and led to those points lost.

Swindon did their homework on us and got the result at SMS. Despite all our goal -scoring, this showed an element of tactical naiivety that suggests in final analysis we werent quite good enough to go up.

Huddersfield away for me. If we had won that we would still have a chance now.

In fairness we hardly had a team then.

That was, in effect, one of our pre-season games at the start of the season.

We lost it in the first 10 matches, the little blip when the new players were settling in during January didnt help but that was always going to happen when you bring more than one or two players into a team.

Stockport away, Millwall away and Brentford at home.

not really those results are acceptable, not great of course but they happen to most teams.

For me we lost it in just 2 games, Brighton at home when we were on a hot streak and curiously enough Swindon at home as well, 4 points from those games instead of a big round zero would have eased the pressure for games like

Oldham at home.

I think where we really lost it was a few weeks ago when Huddersfield beat Walsall 4-3 when being 3-2 down after 89 minutes.

If Walsall had hung on and we'd won our game in hand we'd have been 2 points off the play offs with 4 games to go, and the pressure would have been firmly on Huddersfield. I genuinely think we'd have nicked the last play of spot.

That 4-3 win was a MASSIVE result for them

I think also that because some of the January acquisitions were cup-tied for FA and Paintpot it may have taken longer for a settled side to emerge than might otherwise have been the case. Our best team was not defined until quite late into the season. Perhaps seven points or so were lost then. We did 'dip' in mid winter.

Points each month

August 3 points out of 15 - 20%

September 6 out of 15 - 40%

October 13 out of 15 - 87%

November 4 out of 9 - 44%

December 12 out of 18 - 67%

January 5 out of 9 - 55%

February 8 out of 12 - 67%

March 12 out of 18 - 67&

April 17 out of 21 - 81%

We lost it really with the 10 point deduction and then the poor start, but it finally became a relaity with the draw away to Exeter, not just because we drew but because all the other results went against us. Losing home to Swindon and then the draw with Oldham only confirmed what was already evident. It would have taken a minor miracle to have reached the play-offs after the Exeter game.

It was also hugely embarrassing not getting a point or even a goal against ****ing Swindon, for where I live and work now that was the lowest point. I do hope they don't go up.

In some ways anyway, I want us to get promoted by winning the bloody league, not by limping through as some bloody best losers, coming 6th is not what we should be aimimg for, I won't even settle for 2nd.