Steve McClaren

Robsk II

Yes, he failed in the England job

But don't anyone forget he won Middlesbrough their only domestic trophy and took them to the UEFA Cup final too

I'm pleased he's done well at Twente & proved he's a top quality club manager

Yes, he failed in the England job

But don't anyone forget he won Middlesbrough their only domestic trophy and took them to the UEFA Cup final too

I'm pleased he's done well at Twente & proved he's a top quality club manager

Indeed, he was never ready for the England job but the FA were being penny-pinchers and offered him it, you can't blame him for taking it, what Englishman would turn it down?

Bar a bit of an unsavoury end at Boro he did a decent job there and attracted some decent players, plus he was a top coach at United.

Fair play to him for having the guts to try something different and experience the footballing culture abroad, ala Hodgson and Bobby Robson. It'll stand him in good stead in the long run.

Taking a team other than Ajax or PSV to the Dutch title is no mean feat.

He was sh*t at boro.

Agree with that. Had a couple of good seasons with money behind him and got the youth set up in place but the FA were wrong in appointing him England manager.

However he's done a good job with FC Twente and can give him his dues there.

Agree with that. Had a couple of good seasons with money behind him and got the youth set up in place but the FA were wrong in appointing him England manager.

However he's done a good job with FC Twente and can give him his dues there.

How can anyone slate McLaren for his time at Boro?

I'm not defending his England performance - he was crap, but he won Middlesbrough the Carling Cup, took them into a European Final, was instrumental in bringing youngsters like Downing, Johnson & Wheater through, and now has worked miracles in Holland

Sadly, I think he is ruined here.

People will simply never forgive for his England reign, which is a shame because I think he's a proven club manager

I'm not defending his England performance - he was crap, but he won Middlesbrough the Carling Cup, took them into a European Final, was instrumental in bringing youngsters like Downing, Johnson & Wheater through, and now has worked miracles in Holland

People will simply never forgive for his England reign, which is a shame because I think he's a proven club manager

As I said he had a couple of good seasons at Boro but other than that and finishing 7th in 2005 in the Premier league he didnt do much else.

Other season finishes were 11th to 14th - so an average run. Gibson put up a lot of money so of course a cup final and euro final is a good result for them.

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Had loads of money and won a carling cup?? great. The boro fans wanted rid before he got the England job, everyone knew it was a huge mistake giving him the job.

Never stood a chance in the England dressing room after being over ruled by the players in asking Wayne Rooney to apologise for throwing off his armband in tribute to Emlyn Hughes in the Spain friendly.

Had a great record as assistant at United as well!!

Had loads of money and won a carling cup?? great. The boro fans wanted rid before he got the England job, everyone knew it was a huge mistake giving him the job.

Rubbish. Having lived near Smoggyside, they have nothing but admiration for McLaren.

Indeed, he was never ready for the England job but the FA were being penny-pinchers and offered him it, you can't blame him for taking it, what Englishman would turn it down?

Bar a bit of an unsavoury end at Boro he did a decent job there and attracted some decent players, plus he was a top coach at United.

Fair play to him for having the guts to try something different and experience the footballing culture abroad, ala Hodgson and Bobby Robson. It'll stand him in good stead in the long run.

Taking a team other than Ajax or PSV to the Dutch title is no mean feat.

Feyenoord??

If he leaves to manage in Germany (Wolfsberg?) will he start speaking like Sgt. Schultz in "Hogans Heroes".

One for the kids there. ;-)

I'd like him to get a job in France, then he can start talking like the policeman in Allo Allo.