The Chemistry of the Leadership

Johnny Bognor

During the campaign, DC was asked to define a 'bad joke', his reply was 'Nick Clegg'. During today's press call he was reminded of this, at which point NC asked if he really said it. When DC reluctantly admitted it, NC joked 'right I'm off'.

I think the fact they're both public school boys will help because they are both from the same background. I expect they've already given themselves nicknames. I think it will last because neither leader can afford for it to fail, especially Clegg because if a coalition is shown to be unworkable bang goes the case for PR.

I think it will last because neither leader can afford for it to fail, especially Clegg because if a coalition is shown to be unworkable bang goes the case for PR.

Very good point. Clegg is on a tightrope. He needs to show that a coalition government can work; that the LDs can be trusted in government and together with the Tories make very unpopular choices that the public will accept because they see it as unpleaseant but essential medicine. It will be relatively easy for both the Tories and Labour to target the LDs and make any problems appear to be their fault. I hope they can last four years.