David Beckham

Barry the Badger

Had a discussion with my Father In Law yesterday when he said he thought Becks was a "terrible" role model for young people.

Although I'm no great Beckham fan, I thought that was a bit wide of the mark and argued that I thought he was a great example of somebody who always gives their all and absolutely makes the most of the talent they are given. I know he still talks like he's about ten, but I would rather have children looking up to him as a role model than Ashley Cole, John Terry etc etc.

My Father In Law couldn't be swayed though, and I wonder if it's just me who thinks that now. So just interested in other peoples opinions on Beckham these days.

Agree with you on this really,and dare I suggest your F-in-Law is perhaps in a bit of a timewarp on this,trapped in the post 1998 World Cup outrage.

After 1998 Beckham was public enemy no 1 after the stupid sending off v Argentina,and his 'image' for a few years after as a bit of a male tart did not help one iota.

In more recent times though he has come across a lot more stable character and better.Despite the high profile marriage that also caused some resentment, that seems stable and he has gone from the tart to a family man image.

In my view he has been overtaken in the 'poor role model' stakes by others,Rashley Cole ,a disgusting specimen,Terry and above all the Prostitute-Granny sh^gging Rooney who is probably the worst role model in the England set up.

(Beckham leaving Mancs probably also helped enable my dislike of him thaw as well by the way.)

beckham is the ultimate pro..and IMO and england legend in my lifetime

the press untrusion he gets no matter where he goes on earth I am amazed such little scandel has ever been unearthed by our darling media

beckham is a superb role model IMO

Agreed, I think it would be hard to find a father who cares more for his wife and kids TBH.

Always liked him, the sending off in 1998 was very, very harsh IMO and no way did I ever think he deserved it.

the press untrusion he gets no matter where he goes on earth I am amazed such little scandel has ever been unearthed by our darling media

This.

Total respect for DB. I felt like your father-in-law after the 98 world cup. Beckham got a lot of stick from fans at away games for the next season, but he kept his mouth shut, maintained his dignity and let his football do the talking. He always gave 100% and his redemption was complete in 2001 against Greece. He virtually single-handedly saved England in that game - not just for the last minute goal, but for his whole match performance when everyone else's head was dropping.

I think the 98 sending-off actually built his character and made him a better player.

I really like Beckham. The performance against Greece when he got 'that' goal was probably the best I've ever seen and it really epitomised his passion for playing for England.

Off the pitch he always seems to come across well and always comes across like a kid living his dream.

I agree 100%.

Anyone at OT in 2001 for the Greece game will understand why he's a genuine England legend.