And Now, The End Is Near . . . . .

EastleighSoulBoy

Again, you're missing a major point here. Comparing our potential crowds to Blackburn and Boro is pointless because they both have clubs relatively nearby (Blackburn in particular) that are much bigger draws. Blackburn especially in the NW have to compete with Man U, City, Liverpool, Everton etc etc for their crowds. We have no Premiership rivals withing 70 miles of us. It's a major difference

Neither did we. I would suggest having the capital on your doorstep (70 miles to drive to Fulham yes, but it's really not a huge distance) makes one heck of an impact. Far more then you are guessing. And regardless of the short term success achieved by overspending, to the casual it'll be far more appealling to 'support' the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal, who only take an hour or so to reach by train and can be followed easily in the media. Many people follow football to soothe their own egos, not because they have a genuine love for football or their local team.

When the financial buble bursts (as it almost certainly will at some stage, not just for you lot, football is unsustainable, like many other parts of the economy) leisure industries will be the first to suffer. Football clubs are a decadence and when the plug is pulled Portsmouth, like many others will plummet, and the more traditional bigger clubs who have fanbases to support their teams will be back to where they should be. Not saying that Saints are one of them, but there are much bigger clubs in this country then you lot.

There are a couple of points you're missing. People with enough money to buy a Prem football club are very, very wealthy already and know that they won't make money on the club. It's a plaything for them. Secondly, for anyone wanting to buy into the Premiership PFC are a very cheap option. You could buy Pompey and build a new stadium and still spend less money than it would cost you to buy Newcastle or Spurs. And they can also make money by redeveloping the Fratton Park site. The housing market is down at the moment but it's cyclical and anyone who has tis sort of money will have a longer term view on things.

Claridge is missing one blindingly obvious thing here. The stadium hasn't been put on hold because of the finances. they've been put on hold because Gaydamak is selling the club and will leave it to the new owners to build it.

The new stadium is planned as a 36,000 seater. I'm sure we won't fill that week in week out but see no reason why we wouldn't average the same sort of crowds as you did at St Marys and even sell out for the big games. Also, it would enable us to offer decent corporate facilities to generate more cash.

Again, you're missing a major point here. Comparing our potential crowds to Blackburn and Boro is pointless because they both have clubs relatively nearby (Blackburn in particular) that are much bigger draws. Blackburn especially in the NW have to compete with Man U, City, Liverpool, Everton etc etc for their crowds. We have no Premiership rivals withing 70 miles of us. It's a major difference

Some of this is correct. I have been told their are a German consortium coming to buy you.

The fact is regarding your position right now is that the reports say that you are for sale for 40m. 20m upfront the rest in a year, that should be seen as a good thing for you not a bad one.A cheaper price is more attractive to the buyer. You mustnt get confused that there are loads of people who want to lose money in football it isnt the case.Yes there are sokme exceptions but people who have built up fortunes dont like to lose. Im not sure how much the Fratton site is worth, theDell didnt generate fortunes and even if FP is twice the size it is not on prime land but probably only cheaper housing.I saw reports of the new stadium being 130m that surely must include other development or is it an expensive project due to its position and geology in the area?

If you stay successful and still are when the stadia is built you will get an uplift in attendances but it is catch 22, to finance the debt you may have pot have a firesale if a buyer is not found quickly and so you may not then have the success and so the crowds may not appear.The time between building the stadium and moving in will be probably the most crucial time in your clubs hiostory since ripping off your suppliers and going into administration 10 or so years ago.

Neither did we. I would suggest having the capital on your doorstep (70 miles to drive to Fulham yes, but it's really not a huge distance) makes one heck of an impact. Far more then you are guessing. And regardless of the short term success achieved by overspending, to the casual it'll be far more appealling to 'support' the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal, who only take an hour or so to reach by train and can be followed easily in the media. Many people follow football to soothe their own egos, not because they have a genuine love for football or their local team.

When the financial buble bursts (as it almost certainly will at some stage, not just for you lot, football is unsustainable, like many other parts of the economy) leisure industries will be the first to suffer. Football clubs are a decadence and when the plug is pulled Portsmouth, like many others will plummet, and the more traditional bigger clubs who have fanbases to support their teams will be back to where they should be. Not saying that Saints are one of them, but there are much bigger clubs in this country then you lot.

forget not QPR are going to be a factor as they become more powerful.Our relegation was a windfall that Pompewy need to take of advantage during the window of our scraping around the CCC, if they miss it and we go back up they will again be vying for the same customer base and will not be so attractive.

forget not QPR are going to be a factor as they become more powerful.Our relegation was a windfall that Pompewy need to take of advantage during the window of our scraping around the CCC, if they miss it and we go back up they will again be vying for the same customer base and will not be so attractive.

Or if they come back down .......

Interesting that we are at an all time low and are attracting crowds of 14k or so. The Skates, during their leaner times of the mid nineties struggled to break averages of 10k.

Purely an observation. How will they manage to quadrouple their fanbase in little over a decade?

Some of this is correct. I have been told their are a German consortium coming to buy you.

The fact is regarding your position right now is that the reports say that you are for sale for 40m. 20m upfront the rest in a year, that should be seen as a good thing for you not a bad one.A cheaper price is more attractive to the buyer. You mustnt get confused that there are loads of people who want to lose money in football it isnt the case.Yes there are sokme exceptions but people who have built up fortunes dont like to lose. Im not sure how much the Fratton site is worth, theDell didnt generate fortunes and even if FP is twice the size it is not on prime land but probably only cheaper housing.I saw reports of the new stadium being 130m that surely must include other development or is it an expensive project due to its position and geology in the area?

If you stay successful and still are when the stadia is built you will get an uplift in attendances but it is catch 22, to finance the debt you may have pot have a firesale if a buyer is not found quickly and so you may not then have the success and so the crowds may not appear.The time between building the stadium and moving in will be probably the most crucial time in your clubs hiostory since ripping off your suppliers and going into administration 10 or so years ago.

Nick, nice to get into a decent & sensible conversation with you for once. The £130m you quote is not just for the stadium. The plans also include a 10,000 seat arena for concerts and also other commercial developments (I assume retail, bars etc). Finding a buyer doesn't seem to be a problem, we have at least four groups sniffing around and like I said earlier, I'm told a deal will be done before Xmas. Haven't heard about Germans but if you move a little further North in Europe you wouldn't be too far wrong from the group leading the pack at the moment.

Don't be too sniffy about us going into administration either. Those were the rules at the time (ie no 10 point reduction) and PFC can't be blamed for that. From what I hear you're a whisker away from facing that option yourselves so I'd like to see if you still feel clubs are ripping off suppliers should Lowe choose that option for you.

Interesting that we are at an all time low and are attracting crowds of 14k or so. The Skates, during their leaner times of the mid nineties struggled to break averages of 10k.

Purely an observation. How will they manage to quadrouple their fanbase in little over a decade?

One thing you forget is that when we were getting those low crowds we'd faced years of no investment and turmoil. Your crowds have dropped to your "all time low" in just three years. Let's see how many you're getting if you're relegated again and struggling at the wrong end of the division after 10 or 15 years of the same thing. I wouldn't crow too soon if I were you. Our regular average in the lower divisions was 13 - 14K (see link below for proof if you question that.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

That's my three post for today.

Someone PM Baj and get his ass in gear for my membership please.

One thing you forget is that when we were getting those low crowds we'd faced years of no investment and turmoil. Your crowds have dropped to your "all time low" in just three years. Let's see how many you're getting if you're relegated again and struggling at the wrong end of the division after 10 or 15 years of the same thing. I wouldn't crow too soon if I were you. Our regular average in the lower divisions was 13 - 14K (see link below for proof if you question that.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

That's my three post for today.

Someone PM Baj and get his ass in gear for my membership please.

Like I said, purely an observation. And besides, given the figures you have just delivered, that would still entail trebling your fanbase to fill a new stadium. A stadium that would be paid for by money you havn't got, from a fund that is dwindling due to the crippling wage bill and lack of money coming in from a small stadium, and all at a time when the economy is going south.

Claridge is missing one blindingly obvious thing here. The stadium hasn't been put on hold because of the finances. they've been put on hold because Gaydamak is selling the club and will leave it to the new owners to build it.

That is a shame, especially if the new owners decide there is no need for a new stadium :D

Also, I drove past the site of your new training ground last week - on the way to my old man's - and notice that you haven't even started any work. The plans have been OK'd haven't they? I would have thought you would be eager to get going as soon as possible, maybe Gaydamak has put that on hold too as he is selling up....

Guest Hacienda
Like I said, purely an observation. And besides, given the figures you have just delivered, that would still entail trebling your fanbase to fill a new stadium. A stadium that would be paid for by money you havn't got, from a fund that is dwindling due to the crippling wage bill and lack of money coming in from a small stadium, and all at a time when the economy is going south.

Please, don't employ fact and logic, you know it confuses them.

Ah we struggle to sell out games do we?

Fratton Park League games this season 99%, 94%, 99%

SMS League games this season 58%, 48%, 46%, 46%

Empty seats at Fratton this season 1,653

Empty seats at SMS this season 65,896

Now which situation is unsustainable?

We also have a low level of debt compared to most premiership clubs. HTH

So you've proved my point then? Smallest ground in the prem and you can't sell out despite the previous season being your best in 50 years. I'm sure you get the numbers for Man U and Chelsea, but getting a full house for the likes of 'Boro shouldn't be to hard considering the size of your "stadium".

So you've proved my point then? Smallest ground in the prem and you can't sell out despite the previous season being your best in 50 years. I'm sure you get the numbers for Man U and Chelsea, but getting a full house for the likes of 'Boro shouldn't be to hard considering the size of your "stadium".

Your point is entirely factitious. It means that nobody fills their grounds and is therefore entirely pointless. In terms of empty seats per home game we hardly have a problem:-

Empty seats per home game:

Arsenal 297

Spurs 328

Pompey 450

Man u 602

Chelsea 687

Hull 853

Stoke 911

Liverpool 1,768

West Brom 1,865

West Ham 2,236

Fulham 2,307

Villa 2,470

Everton 3,013

Newcastle 4,755

Man City 6,325

Bolton 6,790

Middlesboro 6,933

Wigan 7,015

Sunderland 8,577

Blackburn 9,608

Southampton 16,474

The only valid part of your post relates to the size of our stadium. Yes it is the smallest, yes we do need a larger one.

what was the crowd yesterday ? I did notice a few empty seats. FWIW I thought it was a poor game and was surprised how poor both sides were.Diarra was the best player on the pitch and Jenus the most overrated , why he handled god knows.He is a liability and Spurs on that performance should be worried.They took off Zokora who was the only person fightng for the ball.

The Spurs keeper whilst makinga couple of good saves he does knock the ball forward back into play and Crouch took advantage.I also thought Crouchie was a shadow of the player he was when I last saw him. He looked lost.

Your point is entirely factitious. It means that nobody fills their grounds and is therefore entirely pointless. In terms of empty seats per home game we hardly have a problem:-

Arsenal 297

Spurs 328

Pompey 450

Man u 602

Chelsea 687

Hull 853

Stoke 911

Liverpool 1,768

West Brom 1,865

West Ham 2,236

Fulham 2,307

Villa 2,470

Everton 3,013

Newcastle 4,755

Man City 6,325

Bolton 6,790

Middlesboro 6,933

Wigan 7,015

Sunderland 8,577

Blackburn 9,608

Southampton 16,474

The only valid part of your post relates to the size of our stadium. Yes it is the smallest, yes we do need a larger one.[/QUOTE]

Why do you need a bigger stadium when you can't fill the one you've got?

You've just had your best season for 50 years your tickets should be like gold dust. You seem to make a point about our attendances and considering we've just had our worst season for 50 years I guess we must be down to our hardcore support. Unfortunately for you, your hardcore support is somewhere near the 8000 to 9000 mark, or is it the 3,500 that turned up to that League cup game against Blackburn a few years ago?

Arsenal 297

Spurs 328

Pompey 450

Man u 602

Chelsea 687

Hull 853

Stoke 911

Liverpool 1,768

West Brom 1,865

West Ham 2,236

Fulham 2,307

Villa 2,470

Everton 3,013

Newcastle 4,755

Man City 6,325

Bolton 6,790

Middlesboro 6,933

Wigan 7,015

Sunderland 8,577

Blackburn 9,608

Southampton 16,474

The only valid part of your post relates to the size of our stadium. Yes it is the smallest, yes we do need a larger one.

what home games are those then Man u home or blackburn home?

Down to your hardcore eh?

2004/5 30,610 Down 3.5%

2005/6 23,583 Down 22.9%

2006/7 23,556 Down 0.2%

2007/8 21,254 Down 9.8%

2008/8 16,077 Down 24.4%

Soplease enlighten me why the crowds are going to stop falling. Time to realise you have got a softcore.

Oh and incidently for the muppet claining to quote me, not me if you care to check.

Oh my god, is all you do just quote stats? You are a bit of a stat freak aren't you? Do you not think its sad you are coming on a SAINTS forum when you are a SKATE? Do your fellow fans not like you? Or are you a closet Saints fan?

He can't handle the fact that they have peaked, last season was as good as its going to get for them, its all downhill from here. The fact that he has to come on here and spout statistics just goes to show what a sad lonely individual he must be. Someone with the amount of time on his hands must have few friends!

They are obsessed with us because they can't handle their insecurites about their own team. :smt081

I was trawling through pics on tinternet and came across this which made me laugh...

_40773453_footy.jpg

Held by a Skate during our 2-1 cup win over them. How fickle that lot are down the road.

Some of my fellow skates can't spell either they have the first two letters wrong!

M I D A S

I was trawling through pics on tinternet and came across this which made me laugh...

_40773453_footy.jpg

Held by a Skate during our 2-1 cup win over them. How fickle that lot are down the road.

Isnt there a picture of said bint holding up a "We Love Harry" banner a few years later?

Only 14,480 turned up at SMS last night. A fourth consecutive record low. Another 356 of the hardcore have deserted, At this rate there won't be anyone left at the end of the season.

And Now, The End Is Near..........

At least the last one out won't need to switch the lights off. The electricity company will already have done that.

Guest Hacienda
Only 14,480 turned up at SMS last night. A fourth consecutive record low. Another 356 of the hardcore have deserted, At this rate there won't be anyone left at the end of the season.

At least the last one out won't need to switch the lights off. The electricity company will already have done that.

And I thought Dalek2000 was a sad obsessed freak, but you really do take it to another level.

Do you sit there waiting for attendances to be shown and almost climax as you hear them? You really are a stat freak arent you?! A midweek game is never going to 'fill' the stadium so its not a surprise the numbers have fallen slightly.

This is you isnt it?

nerd.jpg

I bet you are a 40 something bloke, single, living at home with your mum, who still wakes you up every morning with a bowl of sheddies and tucks you in at night with a nice warm glass of milk and a kiss.

Seriously mate, get a life. Your a pompey fan, why come on here? No one likes you, you dont contribute to decent conversation merely churn out the same stats over and over and over and over.....

There is a pompey forum you know, go play there

Do you sit there waiting for attendances to be shown and almost climax as you hear them? You really are a stat freak arent you?! A midweek game is never going to 'fill' the stadium so its not a surprise the numbers have fallen slightly.

I bet you are a 40 something bloke, single, living at home with your mum, who still wakes you up every morning with a bowl of sheddies and tucks you in at night with a nice warm glass of milk and a kiss.

Seriously mate, get a life. Your a pompey fan, why come on here? No one likes you, you dont contribute to decent conversation merely churn out the same stats over and over and over and over.....

You realise of course that most of your accusations would also apply to The Romsey Retard, frantically comparing clubs website traffic and checking Pompey websites to see how many season tickets we've shifted? Is that him in the photo?

He's a sad loser alright! He'd better get used to crowds of 14,000 when they start selling players in Jan. Wigan at home, Nov. 1st like to see them sell-out that!!!

I know the thought of Pompey having to sell players in January makes you very moist but I'm afraid we'll have new owners long before then who, unfortuately for you have lots more cash than Gaydamak. Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams but maybe you'll be able to limp along until then without going into administration. Maybe :cool:

You realise of course that most of your accusations would also apply to The Romsey Retard, frantically comparing clubs website traffic and checking Pompey websites to see how many season tickets we've shifted? Is that him in the photo?

I know the thought of Pompey having to sell players in January makes you very moist but I'm afraid we'll have new owners long before then who, unfortuately for you have lots more cash than Gaydamak. Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams but maybe you'll be able to limp along until then without going into administration. Maybe :cool:

That's right you keep dreaming. Just remember to clean-up the mess when you wake up!!

Ho at present you can make those claims along with the ones we had about the railway yard was being cleared for the stadium and the training facilities etc.When the people come in then fair play you can brag again.Even you must feel a tad worried as getting millionaires to part with money is not easy in these timeswhere banks are going skint.So I expect some of what you say is a front to keep your spirits up, forget not we had PA in the frame and that went t''' up and so dont be too complacent.

Look how things can so easily gowrong, you cannot even get youyr £5 paid up and things go haywire.

The romsey retard as you so call him is a saints fan. He belongs here. Simple as. Besides, he does post elsewhere and contribute to other threads rather than JUST slate saints and bring up attendance records every post. I would be surprised if he is sad enough to post on a rival clubs fan forum though :roll:

Ho at present you can make those claims along with the ones we had about the railway yard was being cleared for the stadium and the training facilities etc.When the people come in then fair play you can brag again.Even you must feel a tad worried as getting millionaires to part with money is not easy in these timeswhere banks are going skint.So I expect some of what you say is a front to keep your spirits up, forget not we had PA in the frame and that went t''' up and so dont be too complacent.

Nick Nack, nothing is a front to keep my spirits up. I'm not talking about millionaires buying Pompey, I'm talking about billionaires. There are currently three groups bidding for the club. One YOU correctly identified as a german group so if even you've heard that people are bidding for PFC how can you say that I'm just trying to put a brave front on things? That kind of blows your argument here out of the water, wouldn't you say?

The other two groups left (a couple have fallen by the wayside, including a Thai group that had links to Shinawatra) are Arabs and Chinese. The Arabs are leading the bids but may pull out due to conditions put on the sale by Gaydamak - he wants the contracts to build the training ground and stadium to be given to companies he's involved with and the Arabs are refusing and threatening to pull out if he keeps insisting on this.

...yeah, but...around 14,000 of them were Saints fans for a run-of-the-mill fizzy fixture whereas you struggled for 12,000 skates for a 'very attractive cup fixture' last week against top quality opposition (thanks to Chelski fans for getting the crowd up).

Now, no doubt you'll say "it's so expensive...and...and..." but let's just assume (I'm being generous here) all the normal 18,000 skates that usually turn up for home games, for some reason, gave this a miss, does that mean you've only got another 12,000 fans that took advantage of the chance to go to a game? That must have been a tad worrying for those planning this new stadium, on that showing you'll have a lot of empty blue seats...

This is you isnt it?

nerd.jpg

Shows what you know my mother doesn't allow milk in the bedroom.

Seriously mate, stop taking things so much to heart. Just don't read my posts there's only a couple a day and at least 12.74% of them are rubbish. Why do you read them? More to the point why do you respond to them? I know it must be difficult at the moment living in a Pompey area, perhaps you should consider living west of Southampton like I do in the red and white zone. Any rate thanks for selecting one of my pictures where my hair hides my sticky out ears. That was thoughtful of you.

Newcastle, Everton and pompey are for sale. If you were a bilionaire which would you buy?

That's an interesting question, isn't it?

Newcastle have a big fan base but are priced at over £300m. Then you have the cost of buying players to get them to the level to compete for euro places. There are also other Prem clubs nearby so there's little hope of attracting new fans.

Everton have a decent fanbase but need a new stadium that's being priced at £150m or more. Add in the cost of buying the club (I've seen £100m mentioned) and the added cost of new players and you're up to £300m to compete. Plus they're in the north west with Liverpool and the Manchester clubs so drawing in new fans would be difficult.

Pompey are up for sale at around £60 - £70m. Add in the new stadium and training ground costs and you hit around the £200m mark. A very rich investor who could turn a team into champs league contenders might look at the clubs and decide that Pompey would require less investment to turn into a top team. Couple that with the fact that there are no competing Prem clubs within 70 miles of us and the fact that the catchement area is pretty affluent and full of people who could be attracted to spend money watching such a team I'd say Pompey could actually be a pretty good investment. Which part of that would you disagree with?

last post today. According to Granty my fiver never reached him. A likely story

Newcastle have a big fan base but are priced at over £300m. Then you have the cost of buying players to get them to the level to compete for euro places. There are also other Prem clubs nearby so there's little hope of attracting new fans.

Everton have a decent fanbase but need a new stadium that's being priced at £150m or more. Add in the cost of buying the club (I've seen £100m mentioned) and the added cost of new players and you're up to £300m to compete. Plus they're in the north west with Liverpool and the Manchester clubs so drawing in new fans would be difficult.

Pompey are up for sale at around £60 - £70m. Add in the new stadium and training ground costs and you hit around the £200m mark. A very rich investor who could turn a team into champs league contenders might look at the clubs and decide that Pompey would require less investment to turn into a top team. Couple that with the fact that there are no competing Prem clubs within 70 miles of us and the fact that the catchement area is pretty affluent and full of people who could be attracted to spend money watching such a team I'd say Pompey could actually be a pretty good investment. Which part of that would you disagree with?

last post today. According to Granty my fiver never reached him. A likely story

Lol you paid a fiver? saddo.

Doesn't make much sense.

If they already have a big fan base, why would they want / need to increase it?