And Now, The End Is Near . . . . .

EastleighSoulBoy

Nick Nack, nothing is a front to keep my spirits up. I'm not talking about millionaires buying Pompey, I'm talking about billionaires. There are currently three groups bidding for the club. One YOU correctly identified as a german group so if even you've heard that people are bidding for PFC how can you say that I'm just trying to put a brave front on things? That kind of blows your argument here out of the water, wouldn't you say?

The other two groups left (a couple have fallen by the wayside, including a Thai group that had links to Shinawatra) are Arabs and Chinese. The Arabs are leading the bids but may pull out due to conditions put on the sale by Gaydamak - he wants the contracts to build the training ground and stadium to be given to companies he's involved with and the Arabs are refusing and threatening to pull out if he keeps insisting on this.

I did hear that a German syndicate were intersted in Pompey, it was the Luftwaffe, they want to take pictures of FP to show their pilots what a good job they did in WWII

Guest Hacienda
That's an interesting question, isn't it?

Newcastle have a big fan base but are priced at over £300m. Then you have the cost of buying players to get them to the level to compete for euro places. There are also other Prem clubs nearby so there's little hope of attracting new fans.

Everton have a decent fanbase but need a new stadium that's being priced at £150m or more. Add in the cost of buying the club (I've seen £100m mentioned) and the added cost of new players and you're up to £300m to compete. Plus they're in the north west with Liverpool and the Manchester clubs so drawing in new fans would be difficult.

Pompey are up for sale at around £60 - £70m. Add in the new stadium and training ground costs and you hit around the £200m mark. A very rich investor who could turn a team into champs league contenders might look at the clubs and decide that Pompey would require less investment to turn into a top team. Couple that with the fact that there are no competing Prem clubs within 70 miles of us and the fact that the catchement area is pretty affluent and full of people who could be attracted to spend money watching such a team I'd say Pompey could actually be a pretty good investment. Which part of that would you disagree with?

last post today. According to Granty my fiver never reached him. A likely story

Newcastle = £300million but 55,000 fans every week and a merchandising dream.

Everton = A very well supported club, with minimal debt and excellent manager who, with a new ground, will easily get 50,000 every week.

pompey = Massive debt allowing for current capacity with not only a new ground but also training facilities to be built. Chances of decent sized mid 30k crowds to make the venture break even without accumulating greater debt? Not big.

I also believe that your/our catchment area is going to be the hardest hit in the coming economic slowdown and credit crunch.

Of the three, I'd buy Everton.

Edited by Hacienda

Its no use trying to explain it to them they live on a different planet to everyone else. They must do otherwise how do you explain them moaning about the abuse Sol Campbell got on Sunday from the Spurs fans? This would be the same abuse that you've given every visiting ex-saint to Fratton then would it? I had to laugh when they said on the news that it was the pompey fans booing when Sol touched the ball to drown out the words the Spurs fans were shouting. Wouldn't have been something along the lines of "****ing Judas!" would it by chance? Players should except it, it should be water of a ducks back to him by now, the pompey fans admitted it wasn't racist. They need to wake up and smell what their shovelling!!!

Only 14,480 turned up at SMS last night. A fourth consecutive record low. Another 356 of the hardcore have deserted, At this rate there won't be anyone left at the end of the season.

And Now, The End Is Near..........

At least the last one out won't need to switch the lights off. The electricity company will already have done that.

As you get over excited by stats here's a one you can look at whilst having a J. Arthur Rank to:

8/4/2000 Portsmouth 2 Norwich 1(pompey 18th pre-match) Att: 14,003 :)

Oh and nearly forgot one!

19/10/99 Portsmouth 5 Walsall 1(pompey 19th pre-match) Att: 9,042 :D

That 99/2000 season you averaged 13,906. Awesome support!!!

I think we have a long way to go to reach the depths you sunk to, don't you?

Edited by equalizer

As you get over excited by stats here's a one you can look at whilst having a J. Arthur Rank to:

Yes but we had been rock bottom for 20 odd years by then....You on the other hand are still falling my pony fiddling friend :D

Stripy is there light at the end of the tunnel......................Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes but we had been rock bottom for 20 odd years by then....You on the other hand are still falling my pony fiddling friend :D

Stripy is there light at the end of the tunnel......................Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Be careful Mack as your financial predicament could see you in more serious brown stuff than us!

But I thought you had such great fans my fish fecking friend!!! They would never desert their team in their hour of need!! :rolleyes:

Your right about one thing though, your mum does look like a pony now I come to think of it!!!

Right stats, wrong conclusions. You have only a short way to go to reach the depths we formerly sunk to:

Pompey Norwich 14,003, Saints Norwich 14,480 but on the main board they insist many STHs stayed away and the crowd was omly 12,000. Depth achieved.

The walsall attendance reflects the fact that we only had 6,000 STHs at the time. I believe you still have 9-10,000 down about 3,000 from last year. A similar fall in the coming year and you might even catch us.

The 13,906 average the year after we drove the club into administration by boycotting games is only just short of your average this year of 15,757. Given that in 2003/4 you averaged 31,717 not far to go is it?

The support of the two clubs is very similar what is unusual is the sheer speed at which you.ve lost support. Best thing you can do is to recognise the reasons for this so that you can halt the decline and join us back in the Prem where a warm welcone awaits you at Fratton. Hope to see you soon.

Right stats, wrong conclusions. You have only a short way to go to reach the depths we formerly sunk to:

Pompey Norwich 14,003, Saints Norwich 14,480 but on the main board they insist many STHs stayed away and the crowd was omly 12,000. Depth achieved.

The walsall attendance reflects the fact that we only had 6,000 STHs at the time. I believe you still have 9-10,000 down about 3,000 from last year. A similar fall in the coming year and you might even catch us.

The 13,906 average the year after we drove the club into administration by boycotting games is only just short of your average this year of 15,757. Given that in 2003/4 you averaged 31,717 not far to go is it?

The support of the two clubs is very similar what is unusual is the sheer speed at which you.ve lost support. Best thing you can do is to recognise the reasons for this so that you can halt the decline and join us back in the Prem where a warm welcone awaits you at Fratton. Hope to see you soon.

Considering it's going to take us a while to get back to the Prem I take it you don't believe you'll be getting that shiney new ground anytime soon!! ;)

Considering it's going to take us a while to get back to the Prem I take it you don't believe you'll be getting that shiney new ground anytime soon!! ;)

Well pessimistic of Putney, we haven't even put in a detailed planning application yet and then the jolly thing has to be built. A bit more optomism from you is called for. we went from being rubbish one season to being the best team in the league the next. At the end of the first home game of the season under Redknapp there was almost silence as people looked at each other in stunned disbelief at the wonderful football we had just seen. the crowd knew then that we'd be there or there abouts. Now accepting you can't have Harry back what about his mate Cotterill who lives in the area and i understand has been seen at SMS. Appoint him, a bit of advice from Harry and you could be back before you could say, 'Redknapp's the most successful english manager this decade.'

'Redknapp's the most successful english manager this decade.'

#Ahem# Steve McLaren has just as good a record.

League Record:

00/01, 14th and Cup Semi Final

01/02, 12th

02/03, 11th

03/04, 11th and League Cup Winners

04/05, 7th and UEFA Cup last 16

05/06, 14th and UEFA Cup Finalists, FA Cup Semi Finalists

'Arry's (Premiership) League Record:

03/04, 13th

04/05, - Relegation with Southampton

05/06, 17th

06/07, 9th

07/08, 8th and FA Cup Winners

Looking at bare statistics McLaren has a far more consistent league record and better cup success.

to go off thread for a moment.

What were the chants that Spurs sang at Mr Campbell on Sunday?

Were they as 'sickening' as suggested.

I suspect they were typical football fans to ex-spurs/opposition player chants, which almost certainly means they were to some degree offensive. I'm sure he just thought of his £umpteen000 per week and and saved the last laugh for himself.

Something about him being gay and having AIDS apparently but mostly Judas stuff I expect. There seems to be some confusion over racist comments as at first they said there weren't any then south today said yesterday that there were. Still not as bad as the bananas the pompey fans hurled at Danny Wallace in '84!

I find it funny when pompey fans take the moral high ground, with their track record! :D

Apparently :

Sol , Sol where ever you may be

Not long now till lunacy

and we won't give a f**k when you're hanging from a tree

you're a judas c**t with HIV

to be fair i've heard worse ....... it's actually quite original

Guest Hacienda
Apparently :

Not long now till lunacy

Now that's genius.

Ahem...I think we're again being far too generous to you, what about when you were regularly getting crowds of 5 or 6000 (not to mention cup gates of 2000-ish)? Moneybags-Mandick was there some time before you gates got up to the mighty 10k mark.

And why were there only 12,000 skates inside Fartton last week...against Chelski!

Apparently :

Not long now till lunacy

If that is what they are complaining over they really need to get a grip. I've heard much, MUCH worse.

Apparently :

Not long now till lunacy

It's good.

And stored for future use.

I would imagine that their gates would do as ours did. We went from 15,400 up to 30,000ish straight away when we moved.

They will then suffer the same fate as us - spending limited by new stadium debt - no new players, performances drop off, less investment in the team, relegation etc.

Why £160 to build a stadium? Get an identikit one like ours for much less. I know there's inflation but if you need to progress with a new stadium why insist on some fancy architects mad cap idea. Keep it simple - you kno wit's what you do best!!!

The outrage Harry had about his wrongdoings from the Villa fans and now SOl.

At no time did he/they come out and condemn their treatment of Ashley Cole.

Just a bunch of pussies who cant take it back.I expect even some Pompey fans feel a tad embarrassed at these actions.

The main thing they chanted was Campbell, Campbell you're a c unt. If we repeated this in the forms Le tiss your a c unt or Crouch your a c unt, then perhaps many both red and blue might consider it time to stop going. It's rather different from calling Le Tiss a w anker or sc ummer because what those things actually mean is hate to admit it but what a fantastic player you are, wish you played for us. The Campbell thing was just hatred. Far worse than anything I've ever experienced. You guys have been gentlemen.

Apparently :

Not long now till lunacy

I was shocked when I read that! I didn't know Spurs fans were that inventive! :D

The main thing they chanted was Campbell, Campbell you're a c unt. If we repeated this in the forms Le tiss your a c unt or Crouch your a c unt, then perhaps many both red and blue might consider it time to stop going. It's rather different from calling Le Tiss a w anker or sc ummer because what those things actually mean is hate to admit it but what a fantastic player you are, wish you played for us. The Campbell thing was just hatred. Far worse than anything I've ever experienced. You guys have been gentlemen.
Behave, your club are just whining, and HR is such a hypocrite for complaining about ather fans without getting his own fans in order.When is he going to stop the Pompey fans singing about hitting rival fans with bricks.What is worse being called a c or being hit with a brick?

Look at home first then point at others.

Be careful Mack as your financial predicament could see you in more serious brown stuff than us!

:D...dont worry we spent a lora lora years up to our necks in it:D

See the difference between the blue and red half's of hants is. Most of you stripes have only ever known football in the top flight which you took for granted as the norm,,,,,,To us the blue few top flight footy is like a summer holiday :mrgreen:,,,,,,,We just hope its a f*ckin long one;)

They won't go bust or anything like that. Some other sugar daddy will probably come in and save them.

Remember, we are the club nothing goes right for. We will never have a take over. We will always experience the sh*t.

‘Also, it would enable us to offer decent corporate facilities to generate more cash’ This only works if you’re in the top four or seen as a larger club outside this alas Spurs, otherwise you’re just going to get a mediocre amount from local companies and the odd national one.

If you’re on about the conference side of things, then that also isn’t going to generate that much. I work in the industry and it’s taking a hit at the moment, companies would much prefer to have meetings within the work place than go to a venue, no matter what facilities you have, you cannot generate the income you could of got four or five years ago.

Saying this would generate a decent amount of cash is not true, okay, it would get you some income, but not enough to really to rely on.

#Ahem# Steve McLaren has just as good a record.

League Record:

00/01, 14th and Cup Semi Final

01/02, 12th

02/03, 11th

03/04, 11th and League Cup Winners

04/05, 7th and UEFA Cup last 16

05/06, 14th and UEFA Cup Finalists, FA Cup Semi Finalists

'Arry's (Premiership) League Record:

03/04, 13th

04/05, - Relegation with Southampton

05/06, 17th

06/07, 9th

07/08, 8th and FA Cup Winners

Looking at bare statistics McLaren has a far more consistent league record and better cup success.

i was talking about success i.e. winning trophies not the ability to finish mid table. redknapp Football League Champions and FA Cup winners, maclaren Micky mouse Cup. Were you on the FA Committee that chose Maclaren? Incidently if you take complete seasons in charge of a team rather than the manager coming in halfway through, Redknapp has an average finish of 10th, Maclaren 11th. You may also have noticed yesterday that whereas Redknapp's team progressed in the Eufa, maclaren having got knocked out at the first stage in the Champs League also got knocked out at the first stage in the Eufa. in Holland they are beginning to realise he's a bit of a twente.

i was talking about success i.e. winning trophies not the ability to finish mid table. redknapp Football League Champions and FA Cup winners, maclaren Micky mouse Cup. Were you on the FA Committee that chose Maclaren? Incidently if you take complete seasons in charge of a team rather than the manager coming in halfway through, Redknapp has an average finish of 10th, Maclaren 11th. You may also have noticed yesterday that whereas Redknapp's team progressed in the Eufa, maclaren having got knocked out at the first stage in the Champs League also got knocked out at the first stage in the Eufa. in Holland they are beginning to realise he's a bit of a twente.

FC Twente went through on away goals. HTH.

:D

Taking the Football League Championship into account that gets offset by our relegation.

The scores for me indicate 'Arry 1-1 McLaren.

And I was under the impression it's the UEFA cup. And Twente did get through. I'm no fan of McClown, but I find it hillarious that for all the press 'Arry gets, he only has an equal record to the Wally with the Brolly.

Taking the Football League Championship into account that gets offset by our relegation.

The scores for me indicate 'Arry 1-1 McLaren.

And I was under the impression it's the UEFA cup. And Twente did get through. I'm no fan of McClown, but I find it hillarious that for all the press 'Arry gets, he only has an equal record to the Wally with the Brolly.

Ah I see what you mean. By the same token mcmenemy getting relegated can't be offset by the football League championship because he didn't win it but it could be offset by the FA cup win. So Mcmenemy is a zero, worse than the wally with the brolly. It is hilarious isn't it.

Ah I see what you mean. By the same token mcmenemy getting relegated can't be offset by the football League championship because he didn't win it but it could be offset by the FA cup win. So Mcmenemy is a zero, worse than the wally with the brolly. It is hilarious isn't it.

Your logic is flawed. Relegation is offset by promotion.

what was the crowd yesterday ? I did notice a few empty seats. FWIW I thought it was a poor game and was surprised how poor both sides were.Diarra was the best player on the pitch and Jenus the most overrated , why he handled god knows.He is a liability and Spurs on that performance should be worried.They took off Zokora who was the only person fightng for the ball.

The Spurs keeper whilst makinga couple of good saves he does knock the ball forward back into play and Crouch took advantage.I also thought Crouchie was a shadow of the player he was when I last saw him. He looked lost.

Yes poor old Crouchie a shadow of his former self in the glory days at Saints.

In which of his four goals in the last eight days did you think he looked the most lost?

1) Heading in the rebound against Spurs

2) The trademark Crouch header against the Portuguese

3) The marvellous control and shot against the Portuguese

4) The bicycle kick volley yesterday which he described as his best

In which of his four goals in the last eight days did you think he looked the most lost?

Crouch was ****e against Spurs albeit scoring...the other 3 were after the original comment so is pretty pointless. He may have picked up a bit of form again.

...shame you could only call on 17,000 home fans to turn up at fartton to witness it - that would've meant 20,000-or-so empty seats in your new ground...if you had it...

...shame you could only call on 17,000 home fans to turn up at fartton to witness it - that would've meant 20,000-or-so empty seats in your new ground...if you had it...

One of the few ways you are still ahead of us apart from the catering is that you.ve been involved in European competition more. So how many years have you participated? How many European games have you played? Have you ever got beyond the first match?

One of the few ways you are still ahead of us apart from the catering is that you.ve been involved in European competition more. So how many years have you participated? How many European games have you played? Have you ever got beyond the first match?

7 Euorpean campaigns. Plus banned from one(thanks scousers!)

24 Games

Quater-Finals of the Cup-Winners Cup as a second division side. Oh and we beat Guimares in the uefa cup 8-4 on agg. Didn't need extra-time either! ;)

HTH

he descriobed that gola as his best!!!!!!! Best of the week surely not as good as the one at the KOp

How many were there sunday?