Third runway at Heathrow to be shelved?

TopGun

Considering the current price of aviation fuel, air travel may become unsustainable in the near future anyway. Why invest in something potentially duff in a few years time.

A barrel of oil this morning cost $103.60, which is considerably less than it was a few months ago. Whilst I am sure prices will rise over the coming years as oil supplies dry up, there are alternatives.

The A380 is the first airliner capable of running from GTL (gas to liquid fuels) The gas can be produced by the algae as someone refered to above. The Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 will both be capable of running off such fuels when they enter service and, together with the A380, they use 15-20% less than the current aircraft of equivalent size.

Even current aircraft are more efficient than a train, even on short regional routes such as Brummy and Manchester. People aren't going to want to go beyond that, to places like Edinburgh and Glasgow, if they have to sit on a train for 7 hours, which will cost more anyway.

In short, the plan to scrap the runway is completely unsustainable. There is no way on Earth cutting a few commuter routes accross Southern England is going to make a difference to traffic at LHR. There needs to be at least one more runway in central London in the next decade or so. Whether that is at Heathrow, Biggin Hill or somewhere else remains to be seen.

Mayor Boris was talking last week of a new airport on an island near the mouth of the Thames.

So maybe LHR doesn't need a third runway if Boris' idea ever takes off.

Aha! Plot exposed. Talk today at the conference about not needing a 3rd runway to get greenie points, whilst hoping that most had forgotten that, in fact, the 3rd runway will be built as stated by Doris!

Brilliant! :D

Mayor Boris was talking last week of a new airport on an island near the mouth of the Thames.

So maybe LHR doesn't need a third runway if Boris' idea ever takes off.

Bonkers Boris' barmy plan has been ridiculed by all and sundry in the industry so I'm guessing that's a non-starter.

The Tory hypocrisy is outstanding, but also is the fact that they are late to the party once again: why has it taken them so long to oppose a runway?!

Tory past:

Iraq war: Voted for it, now pretend they oppose it

ID Cards: Vote for them, now party policy to oppose, in a ridiculous u-turn

The economy: Would sit around and do nothing. Won't upset big business.

3rd runaway: A year after Lib Dems and Environmental lobbies were opposing this scheme, they finally decide to oppose it themselves: but Mayor Boris wants another London airport anyway.

If anyone thinks that these muppets can run the country they are very much misguided.

A barrel of oil this morning cost $103.60, which is considerably less than it was a few months ago. Whilst I am sure prices will rise over the coming years as oil supplies dry up, there are alternatives.

The A380 is the first airliner capable of running from GTL (gas to liquid fuels) The gas can be produced by the algae as someone refered to above. The Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 will both be capable of running off such fuels when they enter service and, together with the A380, they use 15-20% less than the current aircraft of equivalent size.

Even current aircraft are more efficient than a train, even on short regional routes such as Brummy and Manchester. People aren't going to want to go beyond that, to places like Edinburgh and Glasgow, if they have to sit on a train for 7 hours, which will cost more anyway.

In short, the plan to scrap the runway is completely unsustainable. There is no way on Earth cutting a few commuter routes accross Southern England is going to make a difference to traffic at LHR. There needs to be at least one more runway in central London in the next decade or so. Whether that is at Heathrow, Biggin Hill or somewhere else remains to be seen.

Cooooo, that took me apart!

I would suggest that Heathrow is not the best choice. Expanding Biggin Hill on the other hand, much better.

They are one their way back into power. brown is seeing to that.

Au contraire! Listening to 5Live this morning, I was struck by the number of callers who consider Brown to be the safe pair of hands.

Until this week, I would say that well over 80% of the callers were favouring the Tories. But that's all turning round now.

As they say, a week's a long time in politics :D

Au contraire! Listening to 5Live this morning, I was struck by the number of callers who consider Brown to be the safe pair of hands.

Until this week, I would say that well over 80% of the callers were favouring the Tories. But that's all turning round now.

As they say, a week's a long time in politics :D

LOL.... The Tories are streaks ahead in the Polls (latest ones out yesterday) and will go even further ahead, if Cameron doesn't fook up his speech this afternoon.

Browns a dead man walking

LOL.... The Tories are streaks ahead in the Polls (latest ones out yesterday) and will go even further ahead, if Cameron doesn't fook up his speech this afternoon.

Browns a dead man walking

The Tories' lead has been halved over the last week and that's before Cameron makes his keynote speech today.

But bringing us back on topic, I was interested to see this headline just now:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7646383.stm

We rarely fly, preferring train every time, so I don't have views one way or the other on the 3rd runway / or not.