A new English national anthem... where do you stand?

Crab Lungs

GSTQ is the British national anthem. She is not just our Queen, she is also Queen of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and God knows where else!

That's it's appeal, it reminds the colonies or our superiority. It also reinforces the fact that Wales and Scotland are just conveniently placed pieces of land that England chooses to own.

'99 Red Balloons' always struck me as a quintessentially English song which depicts celebration of the country and the symbolism of rising up, as a community, to higher planes.

Brilliant! And it's in the first language of our cretinous royals!

Am with those who feel very little when GSTQ is played. 'Abide with me' at cup finals has more of a goosebump effect. Interestingly, the lyrics of 'Jerusalem' are of course by William Blake, fervent opponent of organised religion and of the evils perpetrated by the state. 'I Vow to Thee my Country' was, musically, penned by Gustav Holst - a Brit of Latvian extraction - as part of Jupiter in the Planets suite. I would probably plump for IVTTMC if I had to, rather than that puerile subservient nonsense I generally ignore these days, but otherwise would happily see the thing disappear. Does it really have a purpose anymore, other than to stir up nationalist sentiment in a world where nations and their borders are increasingly redundant?