3D TVs

SO16_Saint

1 pair of glasses ? Not really.

I would be inclined to wait for another 6 months or so, it should all kick off then, prices will come down and hopefully the technology should enable the TV sets to actually render a 3d image without the need for the dopey and restrictive glasses.

I saw that but in the Q&A bit it says 2 are delivered with the tv and another by redeeming a voucher.

kinda agree about the price too - but at £1k it's not that bad anyway!

I saw that but in the Q&A bit it says 2 are delivered with the tv and another by redeeming a voucher.

kinda agree about the price too - but at £1k it's not that bad anyway!

I do really want one, its not really the price as much for me its the technology. I mean nothing is really engaging the 3d market atm. Sky is releasing 3d content on the 1st of oct but the sky hd range is hardly earth shattering yet. Plus the big point is if you have the lads round to watch the game the lack of glasses means you will have to turn the tv to hd so everyone can watch it.

I'm in the same boat and really want one been looking around for sometime, I'd say wait a few months some intresting news I read about the availability of 3d Blu rays has put me off a bit, Avatar is going to be exclusive to Panasonic owners for some time ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20015478-1.html ) sony have exlusives on some disney films including alice in woderland, samsung have a deal with dreamworks for several months .no real details how long the exlusivity will be for these deals. Also early models suffer some from crosstalk especially the LED LCD TVS Panasoinc Plasmas have thier own issues but are supposed to be the better option right now.

1 pair of glasses ? Not really.

I would be inclined to wait for another 6 months or so, it should all kick off then, prices will come down and hopefully the technology should enable the TV sets to actually render a 3d image without the need for the dopey and restrictive glasses.

Doing 3D without glasses, for more than one viewer, is a very tricky task. There are displays (such as that in the new 3D nintendo DS) that do 3D is the same way as the old 3D postcards but this method is very susceptible to the location of the viewer.

Say your head is to the right of someone else's. Their right eye has got to see the right eye image and your left eye, to the right of their right eye has got to see the left image and so on.

can a ps3 play 3d blu rays?

Yes it can, (or it will be able to rather, including the original launch versions ones to the newest PS3's) obviously you need the 3D TV and glasses too of course.

It can already do some 3D gaming. But much like the launch of HD in the 00's, it'll be a while till theres a variety of content to watch on it.

Doing 3D without glasses, for more than one viewer, is a very tricky task. There are displays (such as that in the new 3D nintendo DS) that do 3D is the same way as the old 3D postcards but this method is very susceptible to the location of the viewer.

Say your head is to the right of someone else's. Their right eye has got to see the right eye image and your left eye, to the right of their right eye has got to see the left image and so on.

True, and in reply to the orginal quote, it'll be ALOT longer than 6 months before you see really cheap prices, (althought there are definately some good deals to be had if you look hard enough!!)and even longer till you dont need the glasses, you'd likely be looking at years. Definately not months.

However when you consider the 1st 26" HD ready tv's were circa £1000, for 40" 3D tv's going for between £1000-£2500 it isn't that bad a price in comparison!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3d TVs are bad news for people like me with only one working eye :(

Me too. Took the wife to see Alice in Wonderland 3d at the Imax. Rest of the audience was ducking and oohing and aahing, I spent most of the film trying glasses upside down, back to front, contact lens in, out, eyes crossed, uncrossed etc - everything just looked normal :(

Chris Evans was reporting the other day being shown a new hologram type of transmission which he reckoned makes todays HD and 3D tvs look as outdated as a b&w set. He honestly thought it was a wind up and they'd simply stuck a real person in front of him.