Vegetable oil as a diesel substitute....

Redbul

As I understand it most diesel engines can cope with vegitable oil instead of Diesel fuel. The main problem is it can run a little 'rich' increasing the engine temperature and potentially causing cooling/head gasket issues.

If you are wanting to do this a 50/50 mix of the two fluids should allow for reliability. This is however rather illegal as it would be avoiding paying fuel duty.

As I understand it most diesel engines can cope with vegitable oil instead of Diesel fuel. The main problem is it can run a little 'rich' increasing the engine temperature and potentially causing cooling/head gasket issues.

If you are wanting to do this a 50/50 mix of the two fluids should allow for reliability. This is however rather illegal as it would be avoiding paying fuel duty.

afaik its not illegal at all as long as you keep track of how much oil you've used as fuel and pay the appropriate duty on it

It's fine, in fact, it's really good for the engine as it cleans everything out, so you need to keep a spare fuel filter to hand as all the gunk that gets cleaned out may clog it up. Guy I work with does it and provides fuel for his friends. Works out around 60p a litre or something.

Is it of a common strength, or are certain brands more potent and/or give better mpg?

Everybody is allowed a personal allowance of 2500 litres a year without paying any duty. You can use straight veg oil that is either new and clean or old but has been filtered to make it clean, biodiesel is the next step up and involves chemicals and a certain amount of mixing and heating using either home made equipment or specially manufactured equipment.

The disadvantage of veg oil is that is congeals when cold (and not even that cold!) and so you need to alter the mixture you're using i.e straight veg oil in the summer but mixed at upto 90% with forecourt diesel during winter; you can install heaters to heat the oil in your fuel tank or add a second tank so you start on regular diesel and then when upto temperature you switch to the veg oil.Biodiesel is better for your car and will require less faffing around with your vehicle.

Most German cars will run on Biodiesel without modification although you'll need to change the fuel filter alot more often. Apparently there are a few problems with Peugeot and Citroen cars that use HDi engines and also common rail injection.

I run an old Mercedes diesel and it runs fine on any of the above but it's worth researching what route to go down and wether it's even worth it for your current vehicle, try http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

Please everyone do not do this, as I have achip pan and I like home made chips. You buy loads of this stuff and the price will shoot up and there go my chips!! Will be back to the oven chips and they are not the same. Also the price of fish and chips will go through the roof.

You have to think of the bigger picture, they will just get you somewhere else!!

Please everyone do not do this, as I have achip pan and I like home made chips. You buy loads of this stuff and the price will shoot up and there go my chips!! Will be back to the oven chips and they are not the same. Also the price of fish and chips will go through the roof.

You have to think of the bigger picture, they will just get you somewhere else!!

Most people use used oil from chip shops and restaurants so actually the price will come down as these businesses can charge people for their waste rather than having to pay for it to be disposed.

Most people use used oil from chip shops and restaurants so actually the price will come down as these businesses can charge people for their waste rather than having to pay for it to be disposed.

I did not know that, would have to be filtered. Sounds good.

Also until the government get their hands all over it!

Veg oil is fine in older diesel cars but whatever you do, don't try this with a modern common rail diesel engine. You'll absolutely destroy it!

Why is that? Not saying you are wrong, but people tend make statements on here without qualification or explanation, and that leads to all sorts of rumours that may or may not be true and perhaps cause problems where there are none.

I would like to know in detail why common rail diesels can't use (clean) vegetable oil.

Although I have been a mechanic for a long time, I am not familiar with common rail diesels and would like to add to my knowledge about them.

Why is that? Not saying you are wrong, but people tend make statements on here without qualification or explanation, and that leads to all sorts of rumours that may or may not be true and perhaps cause problems where there are none.

I would like to know in detail why common rail diesels can't use (clean) vegetable oil.

Although I have been a mechanic for a long time, I am not familiar with common rail diesels and would like to add to my knowledge about them.

It's too difficult to explain so have a look on the forum i mentioned in my earlier post.

What ever you do, don't put diesel in your chip pan to fry your chips.

They stay really soggy and don't crisp up.

Taste is OK when you get used to it. Lots of salt needed.

Sounds like someone has been who is speaking from experience? lol, but I find of you par boil the potatoes first you can get it to crisp a little, but whatever you do, do not allow the diesel over heat as it causes terrible chip pan fires!!