Longest time you owned a car ?

Saint in Paradise

Well today we sold our Holden 3.8 V6 VR Commodore Acclaim which we had owned for 16 years, 2 months and 2 days.

It had done 169,607 Kilometers which is approx 106,000 miles, seems strange going into our garage and not seeing it.

What is the longest you have owned your car ?

Edited by Saint in Paradise

The longest I've owned a car is for 6 years. A silver VW Scirocco GTI, brilliant car, might still have it now if the handbrake cable handn't snapped letting her roll down a steep hill and commit suicide by crashing into a saab convertable.

But I have a BMW K100 motorbike that has been owned by my father and now me, since 1992. 19 years in the family, has got its MOT tomorrow, fingers crossed.

2 years 8 months - my last A6. I suspect I may have the current car as long (currently up to 1 year 9 months). I always get itchy feet coming up to 2 years of owning a car.

My last 3 have all been A6 derivatives...60k in the first (2.5 TDI Saloon), 88k in the Allroad (same 2.5 engine) and 18k so far in the current 3.0TDI Quattro.

Had a 2.3 Galaxy for 130k but less than 2 years...longest probably 4 years was a Morris Traveller...it kept passing MOTs much to my amazement...I usually changed when they failed back then. Only about 60k in miles though.

Got a Chevy Kalos I've had 2.5 years. It's a box on wheels, but for a 23 year old you wont get a lot better without getting soddomised by insurance companies. Will probably keep it till I'm 26 or 27 then try and get something MUCH better. Would quite like an XKR, anyone on here got/had one?

The longest I've owned a car is for 6 years. A silver VW Scirocco GTI, brilliant car, might still have it now if the handbrake cable handn't snapped letting her roll down a steep hill and commit suicide by crashing into a saab convertable.

But I have a BMW K100 motorbike that has been owned by my father and now me, since 1992. 19 years in the family, has got its MOT tomorrow, fingers crossed.

If your talking motorbikes. I have owned a 1954 Triumph Tiger 110 since 1955. Sadly not roadworthy at the moment, but I have high hopes of restoring it, for the THIRD time in all of those years.

Well chuffed the 27 year old K100 passed its MOT with no advisories.

If your talking motorbikes. I have owned a 1954 Triumph Tiger 110 since 1955. Sadly not roadworthy at the moment, but I have high hopes of restoring it, for the THIRD time in all of those years.

Nice, get it back on the road. The K100 is currently original and unrestored, but now pretty scruffy round the edges. I intend to keep it and perhaps restore it one day when I have a few more funds available.

My pride and joy, a light green 3.5 V.8 Rover Vanden Plas, bought new 1982 and sent to the wreckers in 2006, 24 years later.

Always garaged in Sydney, did three wonderful trips around Australia as part of the 330,000km(206,000 miles) lifespan, admired by all and sundry wherever we drove, especially in the remote settlements. Sooo comfortable in all conditions, thankyou Rover.

Honda Civic, bought new in 95 and still have it. Kept it as a spare car when I got a bmw estate 7 years ago, the beemer died from head gasket failure so its lucky I kept the honda. Quite nice visiting the petrol station nowadays and not seeing a three figure bill on the ticket;)

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI 4L petrol from a mate that was leaving Dubai. It was a '98 model, first registered in '99 and a "Grey Import" that he had paid 120 grand for (about 20k GB). I paid him what he had been offered - 50 grand (about 10k)

Down here obviously we have far less places to be able to drive to so the mileage it does is low but it gets it brakes checked & oil changed each year, it's had 2 lots of new tyres, and the electric locking is extremely random as to when it works or not. It's got 120,000 kms on the clock now.

But it is now been with me 12 years and it still relaibly rumbles along, happily cruising at up to 100mph when possible and is still a damn comfy drive. At the time, being one year old it cost me the equivalent of a new Honda Accord.

It could benefit from a respray but that don't affect it's rumbling. It doesn't hurtle round bends but then we don't have many "proper roads", it sits out side in the sun all summer with outdoor temps of 45C and the A/C is still perfect, even the rubber hasn't corroded like many motors do.

Wonderful piece of machinery.

Could NEVER have on anywhere else as it does between 10 & 12 mpg, but with petrol still only around 1-50 a gallon, it's perfect.

Oh and of course it's Green, sure it does 12mpg BUT at least it has been built, saves buying a new one that would burn more of earth's precious resources.

Edited by dubai_phil