Hooiveld not missed by Celtic

Jeff Le Taxi

It's also very worrying that we continued to bid for a player that had long ago said he didn't want to join us. Or did he want to join us but went the way of the other 4? Do you not find this worrying?

And Arteta didn't want to join Arsenal initially yesterday, in fact the deal was declared dead at one point!!

In fact didn't someone here quote him as saying "they wouldn't meet my wage demands"!! So maybe the club thought they could sell themselves in other ways.

I am enjoy it. However considering we were bidding for a proven championship player at centre back in Gorkss, failed to do the deal and end up with a player who by your own admission "could be anything" then i dont think he is the proven centre half, better than we have do you?

As i've already said, there seems to be a pattern forming with our transfer dealings which is making me question our ability to bring in our targets whilst p*ssing off other clubs and agents in the process.

It is a fact that at least 4 targets were at the club ready to sign and it didnt happen. It's also very worrying that we continued to bid for a player that had long ago said he didn't want to join us. Or did he want to join us but went the way of the other 4? Do you not find this worrying?

Do I find Jack Cork worrying?

Do I find Danny Fox worrying?

Do I find De Ridder worrying?

Do I find keeping hold of the league's best player worrying???...

You want to stop believing everything you read from clubs, players and agents. Up front we have a man who out of form last year bagged what 20 odd goals? A bloke who was the second top scorer in the league who cannot get into our team, David Connolly (who fit is the equivalent of a new signing) and Do Prado - and to date we have a plus 6 goal difference. Away from home we scored two goals (could have been six).

At the back, granted I would like to have seen a CB of Svensson quality (we might have one) but they don't grow on trees.

Is it our job to keep other clubs, their managers, their players and their agents happy???

And these four targets all at the club ready to sign... All seen were they? All photographed? Or just the one who failed a medical?

Players can decide where they go these days. If they choose to go elsewhere and we really wanted them, shame. If we really wanted them, I suspect they would be in our team.

And Arteta didn't want to join Arsenal initially yesterday, in fact the deal was declared dead at one point!!

In fact didn't someone here quote him as saying "they wouldn't meet my wage demands"!! So maybe the club thought they could sell themselves in other ways.

Sorry, your point being? He still did join didn't he?? Which is more than can be said for the ones set to sign for us that didn't. Obviously we cant sell the club in other ways. Thanks for proving my point that we manage to f*ck things up.

Sorry, your point being? He still did join didn't he?? Which is more than can be said for the ones set to sign for us that didn't. Obviously we cant sell the club in other ways. Thanks for proving my point that we manage to f*ck things up.

My point being that Arsenal had a chance to talk to him and they swayed him, Saints on the other hand didn't get a chance to talk to Rodriguez, they didn't get a chance to sell the club in other ways!

Rodriguez had already made his mind up that he didn't want to leave Burnley, he didn't want Burnley to accept any bids for him (all via rumour).

You really do read what you want to read don't you.

Do I find Jack Cork worrying?

Do I find Danny Fox worrying?

Do I find De Ridder worrying?

Do I find keeping hold of the league's best player worrying???...

You want to stop believing everything you read from clubs, players and agents. Up front we have a man who out of form last year bagged what 20 odd goals? A bloke who was the second top scorer in the league who cannot get into our team, David Connolly (who fit is the equivalent of a new signing) and Do Prado - and to date we have a plus 6 goal difference. Away from home we scored two goals (could have been six).

At the back, granted I would like to have seen a CB of Svensson quality (we might have one) but they don't grow on trees.

Is it our job to keep other clubs, their managers, their players and their agents happy???

And these four targets all at the club ready to sign... All seen were they? All photographed? Or just the one who failed a medical?

Players can decide where they go these days. If they choose to go elsewhere and we really wanted them, shame. If we really wanted them, I suspect they would be in our team.

Okay let me spell it out.

It's quite clear that Nige identified centre half and striker as priority areas to strengthen. We have been trying to sign a striker for 3 months who apparantly had no intention of joining us anyway. Does this not appear a total waste of time and effort? Who is to blame for this? Someone should be.

We've had three decent centre halves all at the club willing to sign for us, yet none of them have happened. We've ended up with some loanee that cant get anywhere near Celtics first team.

Is this not concearning?

The signings we've made have been good, Cork is a class act. However, we have failed to strengthen two key areas of the side we have been proactively trying to strengthen all summer. Each and every time a deal has fallen through it's been someone elses fault. The agent. The player. The selling club. At the same time managers and agents have come out saying we are very difficult to deal with. Do all these things not lead you to believe that the problem might in fact be us??

My point being that Arsenal had a chance to talk to him and they swayed him, Saints on the other hand didn't get a chance to talk to Rodriguez, they didn't get a chance to sell the club in other ways!

Rodriguez had already made his mind up that he didn't want to leave Burnley, he didn't want Burnley to accept any bids for him (all via rumour).

You really do read what you want to read don't you.

So why persue him for months then?!!! It's been a total waste of time. You dont seriously believe we never spoken to his agent at all during the summer, or Cork and Fox didn't have an offline chat with him which was fed back do you?? Something doesn't add up.

Okay let me spell it out.

It's quite clear that Nige identified centre half and striker as priority areas to strengthen. We have been trying to sign a striker for 3 months who apparantly had no intention of joining us anyway. Does this not appear a total waste of time and effort? Who is to blame for this? Someone should be.

We've had three decent centre halves all at the club willing to sign for us, yet none of them have happened. We've ended up with some loanee that cant get anywhere near Celtics first team.

Is this not concearning?

The signings we've made have been good, Cork is a class act. However, we have failed to strengthen two key areas of the side we have been proactively trying to strengthen all summer. Each and every time a deal has fallen through it's been someone elses fault. The agent. The player. The selling club. At the same time managers and agents have come out saying we are very difficult to deal with. Do all these things not lead you to believe that the problem might in fact be us??

Says whom??

You find me the quote that says:

"I think we need a new striker and I am going to pursue xxx..."

Seriously, is there any evidence of all these players e've been after? Genuine question.

You keep talking about all these players who have come to the club - who, when, verified by whom other than the, excuse me but, feckwit ITKers on here...

Says whom??

Seriously, is there any evidence of all these players e've been after? Genuine question.

You keep talking about all these players who have come to the club - who, when, verified by whom other than the, excuse me but, feckwit ITKers on here...

Err the fact that he tried to sign Sharp, Rodriguez & Beckford.

Wake up son, come on, where have you been all summer? Or do the papers just make up stories about bids going in and being rejected?

Each and every time a deal has fallen through it's been someone elses fault. The agent. The player. The selling club. At the same time managers and agents have come out saying we are very difficult to deal with. Do all these things not lead you to believe that the problem might in fact be us??

Gorkks deal was cancelled because WE had indentified other targets and we didn't want Gorkks, not Gorkks fault.

Sharp deal was cancelled (apparently) because NA didn't like him or his demands couldn't be realistically met (all via the grapevine, we have no real way of knowing why on this one), or maybe he didn't really want to come down here so made it as difficult as possible after HIS club had accepted our bid.

Fontaine's was cancelled because the extent of his ankle inujury was worse than expected and the club didn't want to take a risk on it. Where is that the club's or player's fault.

Rodriguez - I've already tried to explain to you.

So why persue him for months then?!!! It's been a total waste of time. You dont seriously believe we never spoken to his agent at all during the summer, or Cork and Fox didn't have an offline chat with him which was fed back do you?? Something doesn't add up.

Maybe Cork and Fox did talk to him and he said he'd maybe consider it, so they fed that back to NA.

Then Rodriguez went all girly and decided he didn't want to leave his confort zone.

And no I don't think the club had spoken to his agent, they appear to want to do things the proper way. Evidence the NA move to here from S****horpe....

Edited by Big Bad Bob

Maybe Cork and Fox did talk to him and he said he'd maybe consider it, so they fed that back to NA.

Then Rodriguez went all girly and decided he didn't want to leave his confort zone.

Nice to see a bit of Loyalty though, was the same situation with Sharp (ok, this is only speculation/rumour etc) - but he wanted a massive wedge and relocation costs covered by the club. He wasn't too keen to move away from where he'd lived all of his life. You can say it may be a lack of ambition, but hey, he's still earning a decent wage and has probably got a nice comfortable life. I'm not sure he's worried either way.

Gorkks deal was cancelled because WE had indentified other targets and we didn't want Gorkks, not Gorkks fault.

Sharp deal was cancelled (apparently) because NA didn't like him or his demands couldn't be realistically met (all via the grapevine, we have no real way of knowing why on this one), or maybe he didn't really want to come down here so made it as difficult as possible after HIS club had accepted our bid.

Fontaine's was cancelled because the extent of his ankle inujury was worse than expected and the club didn't want to take a risk on it. Where is that the club's or player's fault.

Rodriguez - I've already tried to explain to you.

That went well then!!

We do seem to love pulling out of deals dont we.

Still not getting it about Rodriguez. You're going to have to try harder. Or are you saying at the last minute he went "all girly" and decided he didn't want to leave his comfort zone? Either way it all seems a little strange. A club persuing a player who didnt want to join it or another deal stopped at the 11th hour due to someone elses fault.

Nice to see a bit of Loyalty though, was the same situation with Sharp (ok, this is only speculation/rumour etc) - but he wanted a massive wedge and relocation costs covered by the club. He wasn't too keen to move away from where he'd lived all of his life. You can say it may be a lack of ambition, but hey, he's still earning a decent wage and has probably got a nice comfortable life. I'm not sure he's worried either way.

Me neither.

Just trying to point out the shades of grey in between the black and white that Turkish wants to avoid for some reason.

Me neither.

Just trying to point out the shades of grey in between the black and white that Turkish wants to avoid for some reason.

It really is black and white though isn't it. We are continually pulling out of or losing deals at the 11th hour. Right or wrong?

Says whom??

So you genuinely believe we haven't been after a striker? I'm pretty sure you'll be in the minority on that one.

Err the fact that he tried to sign Sharp, Rodriguez & Beckford.

Wake up son, come on, where have you been all summer? Or do the papers just make up stories about bids going in and being rejected?

Oh FFS - spend a day in my world son.

Papers are simply a route for people to place stories.

Of course, the fact Beckford was linked to Southampton didn't cost his new club more did it??

Oh FFS - spend a day in my world son.

Papers are simply a route for people to place stories.

Of course, the fact Beckford was linked to Southampton didn't cost his new club more did it??

Yep, all paper stories are made up, Just like the Mirror was making it up all summer Chamerberlain would join Arsenal.

Wrong! I'm not going to waste any more bandwidth on the subject believe what you want to belive if it helps you get through your life.

It's not a question of believing it or not. We are losing or pulling our of a lot of deals. It is a fact.

BTW i'm still waiting for your other players to prove your 1 in 10 works theory.

I'm not saying that they're made up. But I promise you this. They are ALL placed. By someone for a reason.

So are you saying we never bid for Beckford then? If we did then we were in did trying to sign a striker. Something you appear to dispute further up.

So are you saying we never bid for Beckford then? If we did then we were in did trying to sign a striker. Something you appear to dispute further up.

I have no idea if we bid for Beckford. Nor does anyone other than the Chairman and Manager (of both clubs), his agent and the player.

Now, did we place the story? No. Why would we?

Did his agent? I'm a betting man and I would lay this at no better than 4/7...

I have no idea if we bid for Beckford. Nor does anyone other than the Chairman and Manager (of both clubs), his agent and the player.

Now, did we place the story? No. Why would we?

Did his agent? I'm a betting man and I would lay this at no better than 4/7...

How can this be? According to some on here we dont talk to any player or agent until a bid is accepted, thats why we pull out of deals at the last minute when we find out their wage demands.. How would he know if we had bid or not?

Perhaps, just perhaps, he has an excellent attitude that Saints management feel they can build on. In a few months Celtic might grab him back having seen what they are missing......who knows??

At least give the management some credit for possibly knowing a little more about footballers and their potential than 99 % of posters on here.

The opinion of Celtic supporters is totally irrelevant. I sense he has not enamoured Lennon for whatever reason, but I'm prepared to give the guy a chance rather than splash the cash on somebody that doesn't want to get on the bus. Lets just see what the next 4 months brings, and if the need is critical in January, I'm sure the club will deal with it accordingly

How can this be? According to some on here we dont talk to any player or agent until a bid is accepted, thats why we pull out of deals at the last minute when we find out their wage demands.. How would he know if we had bid or not?

If the reported price for Beckford ( See Dubai Phil's last post on the Beckford thread as coming from the Telegraph) was £13 million with add on's, I would bet my bottom dollar that we did not place a bid - And at that price I'm glad we did'nt.

If the reported price for Beckford ( See Dubai Phil's last post on the Beckford thread as coming from the Telegraph) was £13 million with add on's, I would bet my bottom dollar that we did not place a bid - And at that price I'm glad we did'nt.

Ahh, those papers making up stories again then, damn them! Just like they were making up the Chamberlain to Arsenal stories.

Perhaps, just perhaps, he has an excellent attitude that Saints management feel they can build on. In a few months Celtic might grab him back having seen what they are missing......who knows??

At least give the management some credit for possibly knowing a little more about footballers and their potential than 99 % of posters on here.

The opinion of Celtic supporters is totally irrelevant. I sense he has not enamoured Lennon for whatever reason, but I'm prepared to give the guy a chance rather than splash the cash on somebody that doesn't want to get on the bus. Lets just see what the next 4 months brings, and if the need is critical in January, I'm sure the club will deal with it accordingly

At 29 do you not think that ship might have sailed? It's not like he's a 20 year old, he's at or past him best in anything, which by the looks of it wasn't much anyway.

Weird that you cant entertain the possibility that a player who played for the top clubs in Sweden and Denmark, winning defender of year twice might not potentially be as good or better than, say Michael Svennson who only ever played for minor clubs in Sweden and the mighty Troyes in France.

Weird that you cant entertain the possibility that a player who played for the top clubs in Sweden and Denmark, winning defender of year twice might not potentially be as good or better than, say Michael Svennson who only ever played for minor clubs in Sweden and the mighty Troyes in France.

He is 29. Has played 160 games in his career, hardly outstanding over 8 years. Copenhagen had him on loan for 11 games and decided not to sign him- that his his experience at the top club in Denmark. He played 7 times for celtic in two season and is deemed not good enough. MS on the other hand was 27 and a full swedish international. Call me a pessismist but it dont look likely. I hope i am wrong though.

He is 29. Has played 160 games in his career, hardly outstanding over 8 years. Copenhagen had him on loan for 11 games and decided not to sign him- that his his experience at the top club in Denmark. He played 7 times for celtic in two season and is deemed not good enough. MS on the other hand was 27 and a full swedish international. Call me a pessismist but it dont look likely. I hope i am wrong though.

I don't see how the International thing is relevant, you can hardly expect us to be signing players from the top International team in the world. If Hooiveld was from a lesser nation (like Sweden) he might be in the National team.

I don't see how the International thing is relevant, you can hardly expect us to be signing players from the top International team in the world. If Hooiveld was from a lesser nation (like Sweden) he might be in the National team.

He said he might be as good as or better than Svenson. The fact that Svenson was an international when we signed him and our Celtic reserve isn't and as is older suggests as good as Micheal Svenson he aint and is never going to be.

He said he might be as good as or better than Svenson. The fact that Svenson was an international when we signed him and our Celtic reserve isn't and as is older suggests as good as Micheal Svenson he aint and is never going to be.

You've totally missed the point. As good as Svensson was there was no way he would have gotten into the Dutch national side. By your logic it would have been better to sign Dennis Fakudze, just because he's an International.

Really - it looks like you have written him off before seeing him play.

Really - it looks like you have written him off before seeing him play.

No, i'll give him a fair chance, like i do with all our players and i wont get on his back. You've got to admit it though, that on paper this doesn't look like the proven championship/PL potential defender we were looking for, does it.

No, i'll give him a fair chance, like i do with all our players and i wont get on his back. You've got to admit it though, that on paper this doesn't look like the proven championship/PL potential defender we were looking for, does it.

Nope (on paper) but I'm not going to go on about it until I've seen him play a few times. I see him as a stop gap between now and Jan - if he proves in that time to be better than what we have at our disposal currently then we may even keep him - who knows?

You've got to admit it though, that on paper this doesn't look like the proven championship/PL potential defender we were looking for, does it.

No it doesnt. Looks to me as if something didnt pan out the way expected and Hooiveld is the fall back position. BUT is he better than Seabourne (previous experience all Lg1 and 2) and Martin (Eastleigh)? yes almost certainly.

No it doesnt. Looks to me as if something didnt pan out the way expected and Hooiveld is the fall back position. BUT is he better than Seabourne (previous experience all Lg1 and 2) and Martin (Eastleigh)? yes almost certainly.

Lets hope so. If he isnt then he is a totally pointless signing. So i take it you aren't expecting him to be the new Micheal Svenson either then??

Ahh, those papers making up stories again then, damn them! Just like they were making up the Chamberlain to Arsenal stories.

Look.

Papers do not make up stories - sorry to burst your bubble.

But where do you think they come from? Is there a nice little fact factory that spits out tibits twice a day for the lazy journos to cream?

No, a little lesson for you - as you obviously don't get out much...

Newspapers have sources/contacts - people who feed them information. Sometimes those people are paid to do this by their organisation (the PR director/manager). Sometimes they do it because the newspaper pays them (the Met... ouch) and sometimes the source has another motivation. (And sometimes they hack your voicemail but that's a different story)...

It really is quite simple out here in the wide world. The reason you don't believe what's in the press is because you have to ask the question, where did the story come from?

If they have a picture of a man biting the dog, there you go.

If they've simply heard about it from a renowned dog breeder who has a new litter to offload...

Well, is any of this making sense? No guessed not... I'm too old for this game.

(PS: the Spurs Kaka rumour, was that because they bid or because someone put the story about and laid the odds of him joining before they contracted to 13/8...)

(PPS: do you think the reason stories of Chambo were bandied about for £13m was just possibly so that Alex and Andreas knew what they would have to stump up to match Arsene? Maybe we put those stories out there to push his price up, just a thought...)

Look.

Papers do not make up stories - sorry to burst your bubble.

But where do you think they come from? Is there a nice little fact factory that spits out tibits twice a day for the lazy journos to cream?

No, a little lesson for you - as you obviously don't get out much...

Newspapers have sources/contacts - people who feed them information. Sometimes those people are paid to do this by their organisation (the PR director/manager). Sometimes they do it because the newspaper pays them (the Met... ouch) and sometimes the source has another motivation. (And sometimes they hack your voicemail but that's a different story)...

It really is quite simple out here in the wide world. The reason you don't believe what's in the press is because you have to ask the question, where did the story come from?

If they have a picture of a man biting the dog, there you go.

If they've simply heard about it from a renowned dog breeder who has a new litter to offload...

Well, is any of this making sense? No guessed not... I'm too old for this game.

(PS: the Spurs Kaka rumour, was that because they bid or because someone put the story about and laid the odds of him joining before they contracted to 13/8...)

(PPS: do you think the reason stories of Chambo were bandied about for £13m was just possibly so that Alex and Andreas knew what they would have to stump up to match Arsene? Maybe we put those stories out there to push his price up, just a thought...)

If papers dont make up stories then clearly we bid for a striker, Beckford and Rodriguez, which means Nige wanted to sign one. NIge is on record as saying we pulled out of the SHarp deal so that is 2 we bid on. I thought you said there was no proof we had bid for a striker apart from a few "feckwit itkers on here"???

If papers dont make up stories then clearly we bid for a striker, Beckford and Rodriguez, which means Nige wanted to sign one. NIge is on record as saying we pulled out of the SHarp deal so that is 2 we bid on. I thought you said there was no proof we had bid for a striker apart from a few "feckwit itkers on here"???

Thats a moot point really. Its seems pretty obvious that we were in for rodriguez, but was that ever official? One of the things I like about our current management style is the lack of preamble and dripfeeding potential signings. Cortese and Nigel seem to prefer a cards-to-the-chest approach followed by a solid announcement, and personally I find that refreshing. Maybe we bid for beckford, maybe not, who knows?

And Turks, papers do make up stories, no matter what they tell you. They told us for years that glen mulcaire was the only phone hacker in the industry didnt they....

Paul Allen was interested in buying SFC according to newspaper reports in April 2007. The share price rocketed as a result.

Make of that what you will.

Newpapers reported said Chamberlain was going to Arsenal this summer. It was dismissed as bullsh*t and mischief making.

Thats a moot point really. Its seems pretty obvious that we were in for rodriguez, but was that ever official? One of the things I like about our current management style is the lack of preamble and dripfeeding potential signings. Cortese and Nigel seem to prefer a cards-to-the-chest approach followed by a solid announcement, and personally I find that refreshing. Maybe we bid for beckford, maybe not, who knows?

And Turks, papers do make up stories, no matter what they tell you. They told us for years that glen mulcaire was the only phone hacker in the industry didnt they....

You've missed the point mate. Le God Third Coming said there was NO evidence we were after a striker......

Paul Allen was interested in buying SFC according to newspaper reports in April 2007. The share price rocketed as a result.

People make up stories and feed them to the papers just as they make up stories and post them on web forums. If the story is interesting and not libellous the papers often wont bother to fact check it.

Newpapers reported said Chamberlain was going to Arsenal this summer. It was dismissed as bullsh*t and mischief making.

The same newspapers were also reporting that he would join them in January too...

Make of that what you will..

You've missed the point mate. Le God Third Coming said there was NO evidence we were after a striker......

Sorry, I didnt read the rest of the thread. My beer was going flat and it didnt seem important. Plus I was on c*nts corner at the same time.

Fecking hell. Are you genuinely this thick or winding me up?

I was at The Sun two months ago and this is how it went...

Ring ring.

"Hello, Mike Dunn speaking."

"Hello Mike, Willie here."

"Hi Willlie, how's tricks?"

"Good mate, good. Listen, only got a couple of minutes, but my boy Jermaine, he's on the move."

"Oh really Willie, where's he going?"

"Southampton looks promising... talking about £12 million."

"Lovely, thanks Willie, love to Flora and the girls. Here, your horse going to win the July Cup?"

"Yeah, yeah, get on 8/1."

"Lovely, see you around."

Click.

Two days later:

"Mr Mandaric, my boy loves Leicester. The town, the nightlife, your club - it's going places. We're keen, you know. Just one little problem, this bid from the Italian, it's turned his head right round so it has. Might have to work some magic eh?..."